FabFilter output sounds horrible on Mixdown

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Glen Allan

FabFilter output sounds horrible on Mixdown

Post by Glen Allan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:24 pm

I'll first assume it is just me! When i do a mix down of my audio using FabFilter Audio Unit plugins (from the app store, not from the Auria store in the app), the sounds is quite screwy. it's all breathy and popping in and out, not at all like what it sounds like when listening to the sound with the plugins engaged live.

Is there something special i need to do to save a mixdown when using AU plugins i'm not aware of? Or any known issues with the Fab units?

Any advice would be great!

Glen
The concepts of both 'Good' and 'Evil' are merely subjective associations in relation to a conditioned reaction to pain and pleasure.

Glen Allan

Re: FabFilter output sounds horrible on Mixdown

Post by Glen Allan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:29 am

To note: I have tried the same scenario in Cubasis using the same FabFilter AU setup and have had no issue with the sound of the mixdown. Offhand i would then have to attribute the problem to Auria.

For this kind of work i would rather work in Auria, so hopefully this kind of issue is known and being worked on!
The concepts of both 'Good' and 'Evil' are merely subjective associations in relation to a conditioned reaction to pain and pleasure.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am

What's your project sample rate and what is your buffer set to?

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm

I'm at 48k and 512. Nothing weird. Not even as high quality as i'd prefer. Also this is about exporting, which can take as long as it needs and has nothing to do with latency or live playback. Just a mixdown. I'm on a maxed out iPad Pro 2018 as well, so currently the most capable hardware to run Auria on. I'm not running any IAA or other audio apps, just Auria and a few instances of FabFilter plugins.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 am

Is the problem definitely related to the FF plugins? For example if you disable the plugins and do another mixdown does the problem go away?

I'm wondering if the issue is down to the sample rate screwiness of the newer iPads.

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:18 pm

Oh yeah, def FF. I recorded in Auria as per usual and tried them and got the result. In order to use the recording i had to do a mixdown to get it in to Cubasis, and it sounds fine there with the plugins off coming from Auria. I've sent a support request Ticket in to Auria folks, so hopefully it gets some attention as they said they'd look into it!

Otherwise i've actually had none of the issues i've read about concerning the 2018 iPad Pros, so not sure what is going on. I do know that for this kind of editing i prefer Auria, so i hope it gets solved!

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm

To double check i just loaded a totally different AUv3 plugin from a different dev and did a mixdown without any issue. Didn't even think of trying that (duh!).

So it would appear it is specific to Fab & Auria.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Glen Allan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm
To double check i just loaded a totally different AUv3 plugin from a different dev and did a mixdown without any issue. Didn't even think of trying that (duh!).

So it would appear it is specific to Fab & Auria.
I wonder if the hardware and project sample rates matter.

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 pm

In Auria but not Cubasis? That would be odd indeed as Auria is the "Premier" audio editing app for iPad. That is works in Cubasis without issue tends to show the hardware is not the problem, and that it works at 48k in Cubasis but not Auria seems to show it's not the sample rate either. In Cubasis nothing changed (sample rate, oversampling, phase, lookahead) screws up the audio of the mixdown.

Again, i'd prefer to work in Auria, record at 48k or above, edit, mix and master in 48k or above. But just to check and rule it out, i just did a conversion down to 44 to apply effects the same way, and it still changes the result in the mixdown print. So it does not appear to be sample rate dependent.

Seriously, this does not seem to be an issue of "You just don't have it set right".

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:30 am

Yes it probably is a bug, we were just trying to eliminate other potential options. If I get a minute I will try and test - I usually work at 44.1 with the native plugins but I'll try a test project at 48 with the AUv3 versions.

Which FF plugins in particular are you using in your project?

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Cool. I understand wanting to eliminate issues to nail things down.

It's a combo of a few. Pro MB, Pro Q3, Pro G & Pro L2. I've tried a few combinations, with or without oversampling, etc. Still weirds out on the mixdown.

I was wondering what the difference would be between the in app versions and the AU versions... I would have thought it used the same code base, but how it ties in could be different.

Will be glad to get back into doing this all in Auria!

Thanks!

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 am

So I just did the following test:

Created a new song at 48khz

Added a MIDI track, recorded a few bars of the default piano sound

Used the Bounce Track In Place command to convert the MIDI track to an audio track

Added FF Pro-MB and Pro Q3 AUv3s as inserts on the channel (and made some adjustments in each plugin)

Performed a Mixdown at 24bit using the export to Audioshare option

The mixdown sounds fine, no audible problems. So it seems that the bug is a bit more complex than just adding the AUV3 FFs into the project.

In order to narrow down exactly what the bug is I would suggest you try and reproduce it by starting from a new blank project and establishing exactly which series of steps can reliably reproduce the bug. Without this information it won't be possible for Rim to fix the issue. As you can see I haven't managed to reproduce the bug as you describe it - but I'm sure the bug is real, it's just that we need more precise information in order to establish exactly what the issue is.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Glen Allan wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:09 pm
Cool. I understand wanting to eliminate issues to nail things down.

It's a combo of a few. Pro MB, Pro Q3, Pro G & Pro L2. I've tried a few combinations, with or without oversampling, etc. Still weirds out on the mixdown.

I was wondering what the difference would be between the in app versions and the AU versions... I would have thought it used the same code base, but how it ties in could be different.

Will be glad to get back into doing this all in Auria!

Thanks!
Can you create a small project that has this problem with just the Pro Q3 and upload if somewhere to see if others can reproduce it.

Glen Allan

Post by Glen Allan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Well... Went through my routine and pulled from an older event i recorded to use the plugins with the same setting i saved them in while in Cubasis. Had some issues with losing the waveform after trimming and a gain reduction, but realized i could bounce the track and it would rebuild it.

I'm now not having the issue. Really weird as i had tried on two other projects and had the problem. Recording method hasn't changed at all. I do think there's been an iPad OS update since working on the last one, so maybe that did something?

Just to double check i opened a track i was having issues with before and the previous print was still crazy, but when i reprinted the bounce the issue isn't there.

I guess i'll try my next mixes in Auria again next time and report back if the problem comes up again!

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:56 pm

That's good news - the issue may have been solved by either an iOS update or maybe a FF update.