iTunes Drag and drop Projects?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

bjacquot

iTunes Drag and drop Projects?

Post by bjacquot » Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to drag Auria projects off my iPad, but it's not working.

My PC is running Windows 10, latest patches. iTunes is also recent: Version 12.9.4.102, and the iPad is also up to date.

I can drag and drop wav files in and out without problem, but dragging projects doesn't work. I've got a recent one with some clips I need to extract.

Can anyone either confirm they have similar problems, or offer any advice for making this work?

Thanks!

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: iTunes Drag and drop Projects?

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:59 am

bjacquot wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 pm
Hi all,

I'm trying to drag Auria projects off my iPad, but it's not working.

My PC is running Windows 10, latest patches. iTunes is also recent: Version 12.9.4.102, and the iPad is also up to date.

I can drag and drop wav files in and out without problem, but dragging projects doesn't work. I've got a recent one with some clips I need to extract.

Can anyone either confirm they have similar problems, or offer any advice for making this work?

Thanks!
How/where are you doing the drag/drop? Maybe you could post screen shots or a YouTube video of what you are doing?

I use the Files app to move my projects from AP to elsewhere or the the Save Project to Other App menu command. They work fine.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am

It’s been a while but as I recall iTunes doesn’t support folders, which is what projects are.
Look at either iFunbox or CopyTrans.

bjacquot

Post by bjacquot » Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm

My basic method is like this:
  • Open & log in to iPad.
  • Plug iPad into PC.
  • iTunes open, and it syncs.
  • I press the little ipad shaped button in the top menu, then navigate to "file sharing", as you see below (and as pictured in the manual).
  • I grab a *.project folder, and start to drag.
  • The cursor becomes a file with a little "1", also shown below
post1.png
  • Then I drag the folder to a file manager window.
  • Nothing happens
But it worked in the past - I've got projects on my desktop. Similarly, dragging that "restore.zip" file into iTunes restores the project inside it...but experiencing the Stuck on "Decompressing Files" crash in the process.
post2.png
So am I going about this incorrectly?

How do you use "files" to get data to an attached computer, without needing cloud storage?

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 am

bjacquot wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm
My basic method is like this:
  • Open & log in to iPad.
  • Plug iPad into PC.
  • iTunes open, and it syncs.
  • I press the little ipad shaped button in the top menu, then navigate to "file sharing", as you see below (and as pictured in the manual).
  • I grab a *.project folder, and start to drag.
  • The cursor becomes a file with a little "1", also shown below
post1.png
  • Then I drag the folder to a file manager window.
  • Nothing happens
But it worked in the past - I've got projects on my desktop. Similarly, dragging that "restore.zip" file into iTunes restores the project inside it...but experiencing the Stuck on "Decompressing Files" crash in the process.

post2.png

So am I going about this incorrectly?

How do you use "files" to get data to an attached computer, without needing cloud storage?
I am on a Mac. So some of this may not apply.

I use AirDrop to move projects from my iPad to my Mac and back. You can try unzipping the project in something like AudioShare and move the resulting folder from there to Auria Pro. I think that works but am not 100% sure.

bjacquot

Post by bjacquot » Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am

So I've tried some thing, and figured out a workflow.

Dropbox works, but it's ridiculously slow.

In poking around, I used the "save project to other app" option, and at random picked Pages. Auria compressed the files, and made a .zip file in the Pages area. I can then drag that file off my iPad, from the File Sharing menu in iTunes.

I can restore it by dragging it back into the Auria menu.

Not sure why I can't just drag it out of Auria, though.

wigglelights
Expert

Post by wigglelights » Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am

@bjacquot

As mentioned I have never been able to get iTunes to copy folders off an idevice. Auria projects are inside folders.

On win10, I use either iFunbox or CopyTrans to back up and restore projects by dragging and dropping into Windows explorer.

IFunbox is free and easy to use.

Good luck

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:05 am

bjacquot wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:22 am
So I've tried some thing, and figured out a workflow.

Dropbox works, but it's ridiculously slow.

In poking around, I used the "save project to other app" option, and at random picked Pages. Auria compressed the files, and made a .zip file in the Pages area. I can then drag that file off my iPad, from the File Sharing menu in iTunes.

I can restore it by dragging it back into the Auria menu.

Not sure why I can't just drag it out of Auria, though.
You can drag them out of Auria Pro from the Files app. Save Project to Other App also lets you save via the Files app to anywhere including iCloud Drive. It is much faster than Save to Dropbox

Ralf
Expert

Post by Ralf » Sun May 26, 2019 12:14 am

bjacquot wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:19 pm
Hi,

via iTunes "File Sharing" to Windows:

1. Use iTunes "File Sharing" to select the Auria files and/or folders you want to copy with the mouse cursor.
2. At the bottom there is a button "Save...". Click it! How to continue should be self-explaining.

From Windows to iTunes "File Sharing":

Apart from the "Save..." button iTunes "File Sharing" shows an "Add File..." button. If you hold down the Shift-key the "Add File..." button becomes an "Add Folder..." button. Click the according button and continue with the again self-explaining procedure to transfer files or folders from Windows via iTunes to the iOS device.

Regards,
Ralf