MIDI gets altered while working on unrelated sections

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Balrok

MIDI gets altered while working on unrelated sections

Post by Balrok » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:22 pm

First of all, I love this app! Keep up the great work.

I'm experiencing a consistent issue: when I'm working on, say, a drum midi track, and I'm a good minute or two into the song, and I play it back and suddenly there are changes at an early point of the song that I wasn't working on. Also happened with a bass and guitar MIDI track, where the rhythm gets altered for certain notes at a section I wasn't working on. I haven't updated to the latest iOS because a certain app will stop functioning, but if you guys think that's the problem I'll update immediately. Anyone else having the same MIDI issue?

Cheers,
Balrok

Balrok

Re: MIDI gets altered while working on unrelated sections

Post by Balrok » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Update: I've updated the iOS but the problem persists. Hopefully it's a minor bug or something, but it's definitely affecting the workflow!

Balrok

Post by Balrok » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Just another update, detailing this phenomenon. I've been experiencing weird things on Auria, such as inexplicably deleted notes, and this odd problem of certain MIDI notes not abiding by the set note length, instead stretching all the way to the next note in front of it, and in the past I think it would stretch the the last note behind it. Also, there's been this glitch where I can't grab the handle of a note to alter its length, instead it just starts breaking off into smaller segments. The only way around this that I can find is to set up a new track with the same instrument, and place the desire notes on that track instead. I'm having a difficult time working with MIDI on here, because it seems that I'm constantly running into problems. I hope that they can be fixed, because I love Auria, and I want to continue using it, it's just very frustrating trying to get it to work, and I'm constantly living in fear of deleted and altered notes occurring in random sections of the my projects!

Lonelypunk
Expert

Post by Lonelypunk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm getting all of these issues as well when working with midi. I was hoping the last update would rectify it as I've been using cubasis for all my midi but just started a new project in auria last night and it's the same. Also if I duplicate a midi region then the new section is the same length but it starts halfway through the old section and the second half has no notes in it..
IMG_0081.PNG

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:38 pm

I’m noticing to recurrent/easily reproducible MIDI bugs as of now:

- overlapping MIDI notes, the note after will be deleted. I understand this is not a bug, but the way it was designed to be, but it’s a huge workflow killer. Another “feature” bug would be when entering notes the snap function moves them to the next 'cell' if you tap anywhere from the middle to the right of the previous cell. This behavior won’t happen in, say, Garageband.

- joining MIDI regions overdub mode: this is no “feature”, but really an (old) bug: sometimes joining two or more MIDI regions will result in one or more notes being deleted or resized. In extreme cases, entire sections can be deleted, but usually it happens with just the first note or notes (and in this case, the first bug or "feature" is the presumptive cause). Auto overdub mode can result in the resulting MIDI region to be shifted one or more measures back or forth in the timeline. Workaround: never merge MIDI regions and turn off auto overdub mode.

- everytime I use different tempos or signatures, MIDI quantize and grid become unreliable. I think lonelypunk’s issues has a little to do with it.

@Rim, if necessary, I can create a project from scratch and post a step by step of what I do just before the bugs above begin. Anything I can do to help. These bugs are old, so I guess they’re not easy to squash. Cheers!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:49 am

Yes, that would be very helpful, thanks. Regarding your first point, that's right - Auria will delete a note if you overlap after an edit (for example snap, etc). I'm not sure you'd want anything else to happen really. MIDI doesn't allow you to have two notes playing at the same time, so the choices are pretty limited when overlapping: either delete the overlapped note, or shorten it. Shortening the note creates two notes, which typically sounds strange. So many DAWs delete overlapping notes as a solution.

Rim