How do I Export Stems to.... Well... Anything.....

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

theconnactic
Expert

Re: How do I Export Stems to.... Well... Anything.....

Post by theconnactic » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:30 pm

They work fine here. Which iOS/Auria version do you have? Did you try to reinstall the app? I use stems exporting literally all the time: never had an issue.

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Please see my previous posts where I listed my IOS/iPad model.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:56 pm

My mistake. My mistake twice, in fact, since I realize you want to use dropbox: I always send my stems by email, and this option works without issues. The dropbox is indeed greyed out. Can't compose the email, and then use Mail's open in feature to open the stem in dropbox? That is far from perfect, but would reduce the steps to two.

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:03 pm

Export stems to Audioshare

Or

Export stems to other app

Would be a significantly better method instead of going round the houses

Dave

Dave M

Post by Dave M » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:57 pm

So after re-reading the thread I realised that I seemed to encountering difficulties with stem exporting, that others are not

I'm running most recent update of iOS 9, Auria Pro most recent update on iPad mini 4.

When I try to export stems all options are greyed out except email...... But I can't select it.

So I just did a fresh install of the app....
Same problem.

Interestingly, this has never worked on any other version of Auria pro nor any other versions of iOS 9.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

The other thing is.... Even if it did work how do I get my email to send such a large amount of attachment.

I have been using Sandisk iXpand Sync App & Hardware to "Save project to other App" but this is limited to 4gb so no way to get huge projects out of Auria pro full stop. Yes admittedly projects this size are unusual but... I really need a solution and I am fresh out of ideas.

As a temporary measure while I reinstalled the app I saved the 5.1gb project to Audioshare and while this works it doesn't allow me to get a large project into another platform unless as individual stems.

I could do a mono or stereo mixdown of each mono or pair of mono tracks and do about 50 exports but that is not a "pro" solution it is a pain in the a***.

Please can someone explain what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Dave

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:52 am

Dave M wrote: *1 As a temporary measure while I reinstalled the app I saved the 5.1gb project to Audioshare and while this works it doesn't allow me to get a large project into another platform unless as individual stems.

*2 I could do a mono or stereo mixdown of each mono or pair of mono tracks and do about 50 exports but that is not a "pro" solution it is a pain ...
Dave
I'm afraid I dont understand your problem , is it the original audio tracks or the stems that you want because you seem to be alternating your complaints , & the real problem seems your iXpand storage size .

Save Project to ... normally gets your original audio files into Cloud Storage such as GoogleDrive ,Dropbox , etc,
OR AudioShare /GoodReader or other File Management apps from where you can send them via Wifi to wherever you need computer , wifi Harddrive etc .
So your 5.1Gb Saved Project in AudioShare should be Original Audio , not stems *1

If you want the Stems ( original audiotracks printed with Auria processing ) you don't have to do 50 exports *2 ,
you Mixdown to "stems" filetype in mixdown menu ,
then IF you read my suggested technique of - Re -Import Stems into New Project, then Save Project As - earlier in thread you can Save Project As ( filled with processed stems , not original audio) to Cloud or Wifi Storage .

Get Cloud Storage or larger iXpand or Wifi Harddrive , & choose what you want to export .

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:39 am

I think the max 4GB filesize restriction with the iXpand is because it has to be formatted as FAT32. The same restriction will apply to any external storage that's FAT32. It's not Auria's fault.

However, ASAP we do need an option to Mixdown to stems and export to 'Open In...'. That would mean that Auria would zip the stems folder after Mixdown. Stems doesn't allow email export - I don't recall that it ever did - (even if 'Email' appears as an unselectable option).

I'm confident that @Rim has got all these wishlist items on his ever-expanding list of things to address. They've probably sunk low on the list but they'll be there somewhere :wink:

Sparkle
Expert

Post by Sparkle » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:03 am

but you can get that stems folder out by re importing stems into new project & Save project To...

It's a few more steps depending on no. of stems , but it's possible ( unlike some posters here claims ) .

I have my own list of more important ASAP additions for Rim of currently not possible functions ,
before minor adjustments to already existing functionality .

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:21 pm

@Sparkle : No comment :)

torylynn

Post by torylynn » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:04 pm

My experience was this:

When mixing down to stems from the original project, Dropbox was not enabled. Nothing appeared enabled but email, yet even email still was not selectable. I did try to save project itself to DB, but stems didn't come over. (I let this process run a good long time.)

I created a new project, imported the stems. Saved project to DB, but it seemed only 1 file would sync.

After reading this thread, I figured it was probably a space issue. Cleared space on the iPad. Tried once again to mix down stems from the original project to DB. Same thing... nothing enabled.

Tried again to create a new project, import the stems, and save project to Dropbox. This appears to be working. (Ultimately, I think I wasn't patient enough to allow for full sync after the first new file/import.)

What I can say for sure is that I'm unable to mix down and export stems to DB from an original project. After importing just the stems to a new project & saving to DB, I'm fine. I don't know why they won't save from the original project, but it would be nice to be able to do that.

HTH. Thanks!

Edit: Spoke too soon. By the time the export finished, it seems everything was packaged to a .project file. I can still get to .dat files but the .wavs are inaccessible (so far as I can tell.) Looks like I'll have to save again & make sure I copy out the .wav files before packaging is complete. Please let me know if I am overlooking something. This seems bizarre that it's so inconvenient to obtain my .wavs. I must be doing something wrong..

Edit: Aha.. On iMac in Finder, I right-clicked and chose "view package contents". Pulled my .wavs from there. (Still, this seems unintuitive to my pea brain.)

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 am

The point I wanted to make in my posts was twofold; thanks to those who posted info about work-arounds.

The second (and IMO more important) point is that work-arounds are a disappointment for a commercial (meaning you charged me for it) application. My opinion is intensified by looking around the general marketplace at what is available.

In plain language, my user experience was a real turnoff. Instead of wanting to upgrade to Auria Pro, it made me want to find another platform. I thought that offering that feedback would be appreciated, but it seems that aside from some super-helpful suggestions from other users, it has not been well-received by Auria. To me, that's a turnoff.

YMMV.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:29 pm

danhedonia wrote:it has not been well-received by Auria. To me, that's a turnoff.
I am curious: what made you say/think this? As far as I saw, you received no rude answers from the developer. Is it because the problem remains unsolved? If is because of this, we, to be fair, must have two things in mind:

1- iOS is not OSX: unfortunately, it's far from a full featured OS. Way ahead of Android or Windows Phone, but still with constraints and design choices that are hard to deal with from a pro audio development perspective;

2- Auria has already the best file system/management of all iOS audio apps: if you say about migrating to another platform inside the iOS ecosystem, you'll lose money, time, but surely gain some wrinkles and gray hairs. Of course, you can always migrate to another system altogether, but then again, how much it costs to buy audio software on, say, Windows or OSX to do the exact same things Auria already does?

All the best!

danhedonia

Post by danhedonia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:58 am

What made me say this was the lack of a considered reply from the developer.

"But you will get gray hairs and wrinkles" is a statement I interpret as defensive, rather than receptive.

theconnactic
Expert

Post by theconnactic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Really? Well, I am just another customer, like you, trying to give you a different perspective. Sometimes we need features that are not implemented, and sometimes they aren't even on the roadmap for implementation, so we become frustrated, like what is missing is more relevant than what is already there, and it's not.

Auria has an user base that is not small, and a forum that allows direct contact with the developer. Because of the latter, we have the kind of support we'll hardly find with, say, Logic or Live. But because of the former, sometimes our feedback and requests are diluted among the feedback and requests of too many people. There are already a huge feature request list for Rim to implement: the features we place high in our priorities aren't necessarily the same the others prioritize. It's natural for a developer to give priority to features that are asked the most, and also that are easier to implement.

TLDR: let's be patient and enjoy our DAW: hopefully the tools we need will appear as it evolves.