Bounce Track in Place still loads synth

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dvlmusic
Expert

Bounce Track in Place still loads synth

Post by dvlmusic » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:27 pm

I just started using the "Bounce Track in Place" to convert some of my sequences tracks to audio, but I've been noticing that when I boot up Auria the next time, it still loads the synth I was using (in this case, iSEM). I know because about 50% of the time it errors out and can't load the synth.

Is there anyway to permanently disconnect this synth from the track once you've bounced it down to audio? I was using Bounce In Place to save some processing power but I still feel like my resources are being taxed if these synths are running in the background without knowing it.

Suggestions?

dvlmusic
Expert

Re: Bounce Track in Place still loads synth

Post by dvlmusic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:09 am

Just pinging this again. I fired up a track today and even while it was paused I could hear iSEM burbling away in the background.

Rim - is there a way to disconnect the plugin?

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 am

I think it's a bug - I encounter this issue myself. Specifically if I am using a soft synth via MIDI, loaded from the instrument list in the MIDI tab of the FX panel. Performing a bounce in place to render the MIDI to audio seems to leave a ghost copy of the synth in the project.

My workaround is to copy and paste the bounced audio into a new track, and to delete the original track.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Ok - as long as I can retain the bounced audio, I have no problem moving it to another track. Luckily I'm not so far into this that I will lose anything by doing so.

I'd love to hear any other thoughts as well. Love Auria guys - every update just makes it better and better!

[edit] I had bounced 4 tracks in place, so I created four new tracks and moved the audio over. That seemed to clear up the iSEM issue on the one channel, however a similar problem has appeared on a different channel.

I'm using the Midi Studio Pro app as a controller for Lyra and when using MIDI channel 1 I'm triggering now both the intended Lyra synth and some other mystery "ghost" synth that must be left over from bouncing tracks. The main problem is that I don't know what track that "ghost" synth is associated with since I only bounced the 4 described above and those original tracks have been deleted. I have a number of other MIDI tracks running, but I have checked and rechecked that all those tracks have been mapped to "OFF".

Is there a better way to bounce tracks moving forward? I can't continue to have all these "ghost" synths sticking around as I slog through these tracks....

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 pm

It does indeed sound like a bug. On my list now.

Thanks,
RIm

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:31 am

@dvimusic sometimes IAA apps get stuck in the background, this isn't an Auria specific issue, but a general problem with iOS. The way around that is to either reboot the iPad or to do a soft reboot.

To do a soft reboot (clears apps out of RAM) you press and hold the power switch until you see the "Slide to Power Off" message, but instead of sliding the button press and hold the Home button until you are returned to the Home screen. That should kill any ghost apps running in the background.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:40 pm

@richardyot - thanks for the tip. I've been hard rebooting the iPad as a regular thing (unfortunately) but the soft reboot is a much preferred option. I'm one of those people that's militant about closing any unused background apps, so having ghosted apps in the background really triggers my OCD ;)

Rim - thanks for adding this of your list of things to investigate. I'd love to see what you come up with.

BTW - a friend of mine just gave me his Korg nanoKONTROL2 that he wasn't using and it works beautifully with Auria. It's gotten me excited all over again!

:D

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Rim - I'm still experiencing this problem when I use bounce track in place. The MIDI track is converted to an audio track but the synth still loads - I know because when I boot up Auria I get an error message that the synth didn't load correctly. I use the soft reboot above and it works, but I have to do this almost every time I fire up Auria. Have you been able to recreate this on your end?

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:19 am

Hi there, I have experienced this problem on a number occasions in the past although it's not happend for a while now. My solution in the past was to reinstate the IAA App into the original track and original slot and then remove it again. If that doesn't work try reinstating the IAA into another track then remove it and see if that works. It was a solution that worked for me. Give it a go. Trevor

Edit :- Also prior to doing the above make sure the problematic IAA App runs OK on its own outside of Auria.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:56 am

I can't reinstate the IAA synth into the original track - once it's converted to an audio track there isn't the option to as the MIDI data disappears and is replaced with a WAV file. I haven't tried loading the same IAA synth into a new track, but I do know that all my synth apps work fine outside of Auria. When I first posted this thread it was Arturia's iSEM that was still playing. This time it's Taktech's DXi that's still loading.

I have a work-around with the soft reboot, but having to do that every time or every-other time I fire up Auria is frustrating.

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Rim - I'm still experiencing this same issue of IAA synth's still loading with the track even though the synth is not present in the MIDI channel. I find that when I use Moog Model 15 especially I can't seem to unload it properly. I'll close the project with the synth removed from all tracks and the next time I load up the track I will inevitably get the error message that the synth can't be loaded.

What can I do to stop this from happening?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 am

I've got this on my list to investigate. in the mean time, have you tried using the Audio Unit versions of your synths? AU is much more reliable.

Rim

dvlmusic
Expert

Post by dvlmusic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:34 am

I'll have to do that - I'm finding that the IAA synths and effects linger. I've got a project now that default loads both Model 15 and Tonestack even though neither are in use on any tracks. Keep me posted and let me know if you need more detail to help suss out the issue.