Arming Track 1 disables MIDI OUT data to Ext Synth

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

Arming Track 1 disables MIDI OUT data to Ext Synth

Post by Morgan » Sat May 07, 2016 2:33 pm

RIM not sure if this has been reported but I couldn't find any reference to a MIDI problem I have experienced. I've repeated the following procedure several times with the same result.

I recorded a midi track which I used to drive my external Roland Keyboard and then added a couple of additional Guitar and Bass audio tracks. All worked fine until I recorded something to Track 1. The moment I armed track 1 for recording it disabled the outgoing MIDI data to my external keyboard. I turned on The LYRA instruments to test them and they are not effected. It's only the outgoing MIDI data to the external keyboard that is disabled when track 1 is armed. The workaround at the moment is not to record audio to track 1 if using MIDI on any other tracks that are feeding an external synth.

Thanks

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Arming Track 1 disables MIDI OUT data to Ext Synth

Post by Rim » Mon May 09, 2016 6:10 am

That's interesting. So in your setup, track 1 is an audio track? And you're saying that record-arming track 1 causes another track's MIDI to stop working?

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Mon May 09, 2016 8:49 am

Hi RIM thanks for your response, don't you ever sleep?

I have created what I hope are the steps that led to the MIDI out data to my Roland RD-300 being disabled when arming track 1 for recording. For your information my setup for this particular test included a RME Babyface Pro Interface connected to my IPad Pro. Auria Pro and IPad Pro all updated to latest software versions.

My sequence of events leading to the problem was as follows :-

1. Load new project with 2 mono tracks.
2. Add additional Stereo Track
3. Add 1 midi track
4. Turn LYRA off then set channel to (all), Input and output set to (connected interface).
5. Record to MIDI track (track 4 in this case) and check playback is OK to External keyboard.
6. Record Audio to Stereo Track (track 3 in this example)
7. Record Audio to mono track (track 2 in this example)
8. Record Audio to mono track (track 1 in this example)

Up to this point everything worked ok. I then deleted the recorded audio data on tracks 3 and 4 and also deleted the audio data on track 1. I then recorded audio again on track 1 at which point the MIDI data to the external keyboard was disabled. I could record audio to track 2 and 3 without problems. It seems that once track 1 has been recorded to and then deleted the problem starts.

This problem does not effect Lyra Instruments.

Apology for giving you something else to think about as if you weren't already rushed of your feet.

Take care

Trevor

JointSmith
Expert

Post by JointSmith » Mon May 09, 2016 3:38 pm

A shot in the dark here but isn't it because you don't have Midi record Overdub checked?

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Mon May 09, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks for your input but I'm actually only Arming track 1 for audio recording and using the already recorded MIDI track for playback. It's the arming of track 1 for record that for some reason disables the MIDI out playback of the already recorded MIDI track. Very strange as I can record enable to any other audio track without any problems. Thanks for your suggestion though. I'm sure RIM will have an explanation when he has time to look at it.

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon May 09, 2016 10:14 pm

That's pretty odd. I can't duplicate this here at all. I tried your same setup, and MIDI continues to play fine. Does this happen with a new project as well?

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Tue May 10, 2016 12:33 am

RIM I repeated the setup several times and on each setup created a new project but this still resulted in the MIDI track output to an external device being disabled when recording to track 1. I will continue to experiment and get back to you as I have another audio interface and another IPad to play with.

Incidentally is there a simple video capture method for the IPad that I could use to show you what is actually happening short of pointing my phone at the screen. A video would be far more productive than my babble but I'm not familiar with producing video. Many thanks

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks. An iPhone pointing at the screen is the most effective way I know...

RIm

Morgan
Expert

Post by Morgan » Tue May 10, 2016 7:13 am

RIM what email address can I link to if I use Dropbox . I have replicated the problem using both my Focusrite 18i8 and the RME Babyface Pro. I will use my smartphone and point it at the screen but you will have to forgive the hands popping in and out of view. Thanks. Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue May 10, 2016 7:33 am

Thanks. You can send it to rim@drumagog.com

Rim