Hanging notes when using sustain pedal with Lyra

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

AndyE
Expert

Hanging notes when using sustain pedal with Lyra

Post by AndyE » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi Rim. I'm quite sure this has been brought to your attention before. I'm getting hanging notes with ALL Lyra samples when using a sustain pedal with my Roland RD-64 stage piano/controller keyboard. I use this keyboard and sustain pedal to play all my synth/keys apps like Korg Module, igrand, Neosoul Keys, etc. The pedal is recommended by Roland for use with this keyboard so it's not a compatibility issue. You mentioned in a previous post that this issue had been fixed with the latest update and was to do with aftertouch. Well, the issue is very much still there. Which means I can't use a sustain pedal to play any Lyra samples. They immediately hang. As I mentioned, this combination works perfectly, beautifully in all other piano/synth apps. Any help would be very much appreciated. I realise you must be very busy Thanks in advance.
I'm on iPad Air one and ios 9.2.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Hanging notes when using sustain pedal with Lyra

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:32 pm

There's no longer any issues that I'm aware of with aftertouch keyboards. I've tested several, and the users who had issues report that it's been solved. This sounds like it's something different though. Is it possible that your sustain pedal is not outputting 0 and 127 when you press it. In other words, it might be the type of pedal that outputs a continuously variable output (like a volume pedal). I think Lyra might not be expecting this... Can you try with a different pedal to let me know if the problem goes away?

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi Rim. Tried it today with a different sustain pedal that I borrowed from a friend. It was a Yamaha FC5 and unfortunately I experienced the same problem with hanging notes. Both pedals behave perfectly when playing IAA's inside Auria. The problem only persists with Lyra samples. I can get hold of 2 more sustain pedals to try in a couple of days and will report back to you. Thanks for taking the time to help.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:43 pm

Also meant to mention a few things about my Roland DP-10 sustain pedal that may help. It is (apparently) an unlatching continuous damper pedal. Uses potentiometer. It sounds like it may not output 0 and 127 as you suggested. In fact, one user wrote that it outputs 24 and 127 and is basically like a spring-loaded expression pedal disguised as a sustain pedal.
I was obviously hoping the Yamaha FC5 would be different. I'll let you know how I get on with the others in a couple of days. Thanks Rim.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Yes, that's the issue. Lyra expects only the value 0 or the value 127 (a simple on/off pedal). If your pedal has a pot in there, it'll output a variable value, so that won't currently work with Lyra. I've got this on my list to change for the next update (2.04). I'll make it so it reacts to anything above 64 as ON.

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 pm

That would be awesome, Rim. Thank you for all your hard work.

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Hi Rim. Just an update regarding hanging notes. Tried 2 more sustain pedals with my Roland RD-64 triggering Lyra samples. No luck with those either. BUT....I then tried all 4 sustain pedals with a different keyboard (Arturia) and they all worked as they should inside Lyra. Which leads to only one, frankly upsetting conclusion. My Roland piano won't play nicely with Lyra. Gutted. I can't use my stage piano to record any parts, be them audio or midi, inside Lyra if I'm wanting to use a sustain pedal. But that combination works perfectly with any other piano/synth app!!! I play a lot of piano parts so use a sustain pedal all the time. I really don't want to use the Arturia. Don't like the feel of the keys.
Any ideas what could be causing the problem?
Cheers Rim.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:50 pm

You currently must use a simple sustain pedal with Lyra (on/off type). Ones that support half-pedaling, or continuous values won't work at this time. It's possible that all the pedals you tried are continuous and not simple switch types. I don't have any of those continous pedals here, all the ones I use are simple switches, so that's probably why I don't have the issue here. As I mentioned, I'll change the code in Lyra to ignore these in-between values. Not sure which version it'll make it into, but most likely 2.04.

Rim

mastrodommy

Post by mastrodommy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:58 am

I have the same problem too. When I use the pedal the keyboard (samson carbon) displayes 127 (if I press it) and 0 (if I don't) but the notes don't stop sounding. With other apps (Isem,Igrandpiano,Imini sampletank ecc.) I don't have the same problem. :(
(sorry,I don't talk English very well)

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Hopefully the fix that Rim is talking about will fix the issue. Glad I'm not alone. But surely it can't be just the two of us!!! :?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:23 pm

I just fixed this, and have confirmed that it only happens with pedals that output values other than 0 and 127, so it's pretty rare. Most sustain pedals are simple switches. @mastrodommy sent me a file that shows sustain values all over the place.

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:07 pm

That's pretty exciting news. You are the finest developer on planet earth and a bloody genius too.
Will the fix be in 2.04 update?

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Just read that 2.03 update has been pulled by yourself to fix some issues. Is it possible that the sustain pedal fix may sneak in????? :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Yes, it's in 2.03.

Rim

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:21 am

Loving your work. :o