Motu avb interfaces and auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

M Johnston

Motu avb interfaces and auria

Post by M Johnston » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Rim if you had four iPad pros hooked to four , of the bottom line motu interfaces which can have 3 streams of 8 channels over avb . How many channels could Auria record at once if three of the iPad's were sending 8 channels each over avb and you had other sounds also being recorded from within the forth iPad pro that was doing the recording.
Thanks
Mark

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Motu avb interfaces and auria

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:03 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean... iOS doesn't support AVB, so each Auria instance in your example would be able to record only as many channels as the interface it was connected to presented to that iPad.

Rim

M Johnston

Post by M Johnston » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi the interfaces connect together and send channels to each other over avb , When you go in the web browser to control the interfaces you route the avb channels like any other channels to other interfaces . Are you saying iOS would not see those channels just like any other channel even though those channels are coming into the interface that's connected to Auria . I was thinking of using each iPad as a sound module basically each iPad would have Auria running on it and be functioning as sub mixer to the main recording iPad. I had seen in Auria pro you support direct outs , using those or if Auria can send subs out using them.I would have 12 USB key boards hooked 4 keyboards to each
Of three iPads sending 8 channels of audio four stereo sub mixes over avb to the interface with the main Auria recording those inputs.This if it worked would allow me to record all keyboards at once while playing live. The interfaces are talking avb to each other and once a signal is in any interface it would just be seen as any other input, by iOS, would it not.The motu information says you can have all kinds of interfaces hooked up to each other and different computers and iPads over the avb network and they are all suppose to see each other's channels using avb. I think this is what motu is saying, and they would be misleading people if iOS can not see those inputs. This is why I asked the question . Maybe more questions for motu.
Thanks
Mark

M Johnston

Post by M Johnston » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi Rim maybe I just assumed that cause interfaces work with IPads , that all features work but if avb only works on computers not iPads .Its another one of those the Devils in the details things. That maybe I just misunderstood what motu
Info says. And so I say thanks for clearing this up before I make mistake of trying to set something up that won't work.
New approach probably needed.
Thanks
Mark

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:48 pm

The iPad has a basic audio driver in it that supports up to 24 inputs at once, but there's no "control panel" built in, like there is on the Mac, so any routing, or special functions like AVB would need to be set up using the interface's own control panel software. This is most likely only available on the PC/Mac (unless Motu has an iOS control panel app I don't know about). Auria, and all other iOS apps can access the inputs and outputs of the audio interface, but can't control anything on the interface. That's why you need to do this using their control panel software.

Rim

M Johnston

Post by M Johnston » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Rim yeah that is correct I watch some motu videos and you route the signals in the interfaces and daw just sees the inputs as the normal inputs on interface. They have a web app that controls the routing and the interfaces mixer and effects and that app works in any web browser on any device. So Auria would just see a single stream as 8 of the normal interfaces inputs.2 streams would be assigned as 16 channels of the inputs on the interface. Any way it's another layer of mixing ability but it seems you can do it . I would call tech support to make sure , probably before I bought interfaces.
Because in all their examples they only show computers, but I think they think of iPads as just another computer.
I think the inputs on the interface that are being seen as avb inputs because of that routing ,would not be able to be used as the normal inputs because they would be being seen as avb inputs. It makes it seem confusing and it would be at frist but once you set up your routings and saved them things would make sense.
Thanks
Mark
btw the number of streams that the interfaces can sent to each other depends on which interfaces you have the bottom line one 3 streams top line I think was 16 streams might of been 8 can't remember right now.

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:14 pm

Motu does have an ios AVB app to control the routing of it AVB units.

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:33 am

You can connect your iPad with every Motu AVB audio interface through their USB. Up to 48 streams via the AVB protocol can be mixed in its internal mixer down to the 24 tracks that iOS can handle. For connecting more than two interfaces you need to add the MOTU AVB Switch. In your case you would need that and four times something like an UltraLite AVB. That system will serves you with 40 analog in/outputs and 32 for ADAT, not bad.
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 am

A very important thing to remember when setting up multiple iPads running Auria Pro is that you must be able to sync them together or this setup is dead in the water. I use the iconnect midi 2 to connect my 2 iPads and run 2 Auria Pros with 24in and 24out. You can use AuriaLink too but I found the midi control more stable. Cheers.

M Johnston

Post by M Johnston » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:50 am

Hi guys one avb stream is 8 channels of audio
The1248 can send and receive 16 streams or 128 channels in and out
The ultra lite avb can send and receive 3 streams or 24 channel in and out
The avb mixer in the interfaces is only 48 channels
Rim says iOS only handles 24 tracks in out
So if you had 3 ultra lites sending one stream each 8 channels to a forth ultra lite , that ultra lite can receive 3 streams or 24 channels just what Rim says can handle
If 1248 is hooked to a computer I guess you would be limited by 48 track avb mixer but not sure because why would you have so many streams in and out.Don't get that! Maybe in out is not tied to size of avb mixer.
All motu interfaces have sync that you set master slave relationship.
One guestion I got is can Auria be reciveing 24 channels to record through in and outs and still record some tracks from
Within in self ?
The 1248 has 32 inputs and outputs the ultra lite has 18 in and outs
So a set up with one 1248 and 3 ultra lites would give you 86 ins and outs these are the hardware ins and outs
A setup with 4 ultra lites 72 ins and outs
The way you decide to sub mix would be up to you
I would want 4 keyboard stereo mixes to be output over 1 stream , from each interface because I don't want to overload cpu on each iPad by trying to do to much at once.
The three iPads each doing 4 stereo keyboard sounds Total 3 streams 24 channels into the forth iPad.
If the 1248 was the reciveing interface you could sent 3 streams from each of the ultra lites which means 72 channels would be received.
The routing is all handle in the interfaces routing and sub mixing choices are yours to make along the way .
There's frist audiobus to Auria mixer out to frist interface mixer over avb to second interface mixer and into recording Auria mixer.
Thanks Mark

AuriaStudios
Expert

Post by AuriaStudios » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:29 pm

So can you stream 24 channels from IOS to PS using one of these?