Auria mixer and MIDI mapping

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Cyril777
Expert

Auria mixer and MIDI mapping

Post by Cyril777 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi,
I'm very sorry if this question has already been asked, but with an uprade of this importance, a tons of questions are asked and a multiple of subjects talked about, without counting the small bugs which only one user has encountered (and I'm not excluding me of this last category !)
However, a fundamental issue, especially with this new version, which I wasn't able to solved or found an answer, and it's not like I didn't check on the manual 10 times and asked this on various Facebook groups...
So, here it is :
How should I proceed to map with midi CC the volume faders of each track on the mixer to be able to control them with the rotary knobs of my midi keyboard ? A very simple question indeed, which I never would have ask when MIdi wasn't really part of Auria, but that it is, I'm surprised not to find a midi chart in the manual, not to have a midi learn function in the mixer section precisely, where it would be very handy to quickly map each track AUX, PAN, MUTE, SOLO and... Volume level.
So, am I missing something obvious and in this case, sorry, my bad, or maybe it is not possible, which I don't even want consider the possibility,(do you know a DAW, on iOS of course, where you can't control the faders with your midi keyboard ?). Or, more probably, is there some settings to be aware of, and some functions you've got to enable in each tracks parameters window to be able to set a midi CC number for each volume faders, and other parameters, of the mixer ?
Thank you for taking the time to read this boring and repetitive post, but as I already asked this same (simple ?) question without a corresponding answer, I thought it would be better to be redundant and boring than misunderstood and ignored (though the last option is still possible, I won't blame you...)
Have a nice Sunday, on of the best day of the week to make music and one of the worst for your neighbors..,
Cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Auria mixer and MIDI mapping

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:19 am

MIDI control of Auria's mixer is not supported (it never has been). The only protocol for controlling the mixer that we support is Mackie. So if you have a Mackie compatible controller, then you can control the entire mixer, and all the plugins as well. But direct MIDI control with CC is not something that's supported. It would be quite a lot of work to add this, but might be something I'll consider adding at some point in the future.

Rim

Cyril777
Expert

Post by Cyril777 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:28 pm

Rim wrote:MIDI control of Auria's mixer is not supported (it never has been). The only protocol for controlling the mixer that we support is Mackie. So if you have a Mackie compatible controller, then you can control the entire mixer, and all the plugins as well. But direct MIDI control with CC is not something that's supported. It would be quite a lot of work to add this, but might be something I'll consider adding at some point in the future.

Rim
Thank you for tour answer, which confirms what I was suspected. In fact, I was aware bout the MCU and Hui protocols, because as soon as I first bought Auria, I tried to control the mixer with my midi keyboard and learned about this.
But since midi has been "massively" implemented with in this upgrade, I was hoping that this would now be possible with any midi keyboard.
But after reading the manual, made some test and learned a little more about midi, I was almost definitely fixed, but you never know.
Now, thanks to you, I know. It's a thing I would have like to do, but since I'm not gonna buy a MCU controller (quite expensive), I will do without it and it's no biggie. But maybe you know this : is the Korg NanoControl MCU compatible, because I saw it several time when I made my research on the web today....
Cheers

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I believe the Nanocontrol 2 supports Mackie, but I'm not 100% positive.

RIm

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:23 am

Rim wrote:I believe the Nanocontrol 2 supports Mackie, but I'm not 100% positive.

RIm
It does, with certain limitations - but no more limited than trying to assign CCs to an unlimited number of channels :wink:

facej

Post by facej » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Washboy wrote:
Rim wrote:I believe the Nanocontrol 2 supports Mackie, but I'm not 100% positive.

RIm
It does, with certain limitations - but no more limited than trying to assign CCs to an unlimited number of channels :wink:
Is Mackie control (MCU? HUI?) supported in the not pro version of Auria? Where would I find details about using the KORG nanoKontrol2 with Auria?

The newest KORG controller - nanoKontrol Studio

http://www.korg.com/us/products/control ... ol_studio/

would be wonderful addition to working with Auria. I have my audio interface plugged in to the Lightning port and would really like to be able to use something like the KORG with no wires attached.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Kns.jpg
Neat looking controller

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Auria and Auria Pro both support Mackie MCU and HUI remote control. There's a section in the manual which talks about how to use this mode.

Rim

Kites
Expert

Post by Kites » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 am

The nanokontrol studio would be incredibly boss If it works with Auria.

If anyone gets their hands on the controller soon, please confirm. :D
Last edited by Kites on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:12 am

as soon as its avail for purchase i will for sure get it.

was looking at the behringer X thingy but its too clunky. this looks perfect for on the go use.

Kites
Expert

Post by Kites » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Anyone pick up the new Nanostudio and try it out with Auria PRO yet?

stromberg-carlson
Expert

kudos!

Post by stromberg-carlson » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:49 pm

thanks for reminding me.

just ordered it and the keyboard thingy. ill follow up later this week if no one else has by then.

stromberg-carlson
Expert

Korg nanoKONTROL Studio

Post by stromberg-carlson » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:39 pm

ok have had this device for a couple days and just now getting an opportunity to test.

using the latest usb 3 dongle with lightning port charging cable on an ipad pro with latest ios update at this writing and latest auria pro as of this writing.
USB3 Dongle with power port.jpg
midi.jpg
midi.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 20458 times
auria recognizes the device in the midi section, and i can select the midi ports on the midi page.

however, i cant get the device to work with the software. i will explain ...

in the auria manual, it states
Note: When using the Mackie MCU Pro configure it for “Logic Mode” for compatibility with Auria.

in nanokontrols manual, it mentions what one needs to do to setup the nanokontrol with live:
GarageBand/Logic
Download the nanoKONTROL Studio Control Surface plug-in from
the Korg website
well, just my luck its only for mac and I am a PC only household... :roll: :lol:

there are in built templates

(
Cubase/Digital Performer/Live/Pro
Tools/SONAR /Studio One
but not logic or garageband. so i am stuck there also.

and Mr. Rim states you cant use CC messages so that's out (you can set this up in "assignable" mode and assign CC numbers)

so in my case it seems i need to get on a mac and load the garageband/logic control surface plug in and see if i can get it to work?

Open to any options @Rim ,if you are inclined to help.

EDIT: switching betwixt MCU and HCU did not make any difference.

Radside
Expert

Post by Radside » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:09 am

Thanks for testing this out for us. Did you try starting the NanoKontrol Studio in the Pro Tools mode? I'm assuming that the Pro Tools mode would equate to HUI, which Auria supports?

stromberg-carlson
Expert

KORG NanoKontrol Studio

Post by stromberg-carlson » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Thank you for responding.

Let me address some thing in my previous post.

Apparently the Korg needs a bit more power than the usb3 dongle with the lightning port can provide. i had a pickle of a time trying to get the korg to be recognized. it powered up a few times (i would disconnect to plug it to the editor then plug it back to the dongle) but then it just would not power up anymore.

got a powered hub and now the korg turns on each and every time, so it seems the new apple usb3 dongle with usb port and lighting port does not provide enough current for both the ipad pro and the korg. and i used the 29w mac power brick with the usb to c lightning cable (1meter).

thanks to the above advice, i set the korg into pro tools mode and it worked reasonably well.
i fired up the heartbeats spong and tested the korg.

faders work
mute/solo/record work. those buttons also light up when they are activated.
"Select" was not working. i am not sure what it could be used for in auria pro
pan knobs work
transport (<< ,>>) buttons work.

you can cycle through 8 channels of tracks with the "TRACK" buttons (< , > ) eg. 1-8 , 9-16, etc. there is no visual feedback from the korg or on screen to show which 8 tracks the korg is controlling. you just have to keep count how many times you press those "TRACK" buttons. I mean you could press a mute or move a fader, etc to see a visual cue that way.

the job wheel works the same way the ffw/rew buttons do. if you move it one click to the right, the timeline scrolls continuous, same in reverse. if you click the jog wheel forward 2 or more times it jumps to the end, and jumps to the top if you do this counterclockwise.

i wish there was a way to have the jog wheel "jog" the timeline when you are rotating the wheel and STOP when you let it go, but i have yet to find a setting in the korg editor that will allow this to work, and i think based on what Mr. Rim has stated, auria pro cant take advantage of this, so if you use the jog wheel you can just let it scroll and then hit stop or press play to stop it.

still waiting for the kontrol key to show up (pre order) so will test it as well.

i like this ability to have an external control surface. the behringer one is too bulky for me because i dont use a tablet for major production like others, so i can see it being useful to someone who relies on the apple ipad/iphone for music production, but for on the go /hotel/at the job/ on location , and for someone who wants something small/lightweight, this is a good option.

again, as of now it seems you need a powerful powered hub so you will need AC power nearby. if auria could use bluetooth you could go wireless but that is not an option currently with auria.

i like this thing!
korg.jpg
korg.jpg (37.51 KiB) Viewed 20422 times

AndyE
Expert

Post by AndyE » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 pm

Forgive me if you already know this but the Korg Nanokontrol2 can control Auria Pro mixer and transport controls beautifully. And for only £35. I've provided a link to my original YouTube video tutorial.

http://youtu.be/PniOd6I1-wo