SOLVED - iPad Air 2 CPU warning with CPU at only 70%

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

psysword
Expert

Re: iPad Air 2 crashing. CPU only at 70%

Post by psysword » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 am

Hahahah...ok I just heard your soundcloud...very nice ethnic ambient sounds....but your music is very gentle compared mine....hehehe..nice. So Pro L eh? A few more Db into the game? Ok sold! Any other fab filter you recommend? I have the PSP filters, echo. So do I need Ff Timeless? Pro L in the game! Below is my "DarkTech" genre sound cloud link. Thanks.
https://soundcloud.com/psysword-rizvi/t ... ing-at-the

sELF
Expert

Re: iPad Air 2 crashing. CPU only at 70%

Post by sELF » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:31 am

Cool, I'll check your tracks later. Pro C/L/Q/Mb are the essentials IMHO. And Q2 on its way, some day...Timeless is really great and worth having. I hear Volcano is too. Saturn, maybe. If you need some noise :D FF Rule!

psysword
Expert

Re: iPad Air 2 CPU warning with CPU at only 70%

Post by psysword » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 am

I've been mixing with proL, c, g, MB at 4 x oversampling. 110 percent CPU usage during mixdown. Rim, does this affect overall quality of the track in your opinion? And thanks a lot "Self", I'm hooked onto your excellent, though time consuming method. Why is dither at 24 bit necessary? For sure I get a flat track, or distorted without the dither. What's the reason? Just doing a mixdown and failed so far without dither. Fingers crossed, with dither this time.
P.s no wasn't successful. Have removed the oversampling from proG. Sent for a long mixdown again...proG appears to be really power hungry..

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:56 am

CPU usage during mixdown is not important. You can have 200% CPU usage during mixdown and it wouldn't affect quality, because it's not real time.

Rim

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:16 pm

ipad air 2 overload
everybody reports same bug....INSTABILITY, No power enough available, crashes at moving auria on screen compared to ipad Air 1 NOT suffering such problem.....
probably the PREVIOUS RAM memory already full ( 36 MB on ipad Air 1... 662 MB ipad AIR 2 !!!!) while BOTH ipad/ Aurias
both have SAME number of apps into the iPad, same downloads of drums, NO WAVE in Auria waves browser MEMORY ( all erased to check its interference on ram used ) No one APP in the backround, no insertion, same OS 8.1
Same crashes already reported by many users : SO EASY than iPad Air 2 is usable ONLY as a synth Player ( VERY Reduced numbers!) and premixer of Presonus...( with it....iPad air 2 cannot RECORD 2 tracks without crashing!!!!) while ipad Air 1 gets SAFE recording on Alesis ( same multirouting anyway) IT does NOT CRASH until some 90% of CPU USE.....
the trick is to use synthebapps inserted into Subs while the recording track gets MASTER For input so you really RECORD
what you hear...while routing this rec track to sub 1 ....preset with NO internal connection on output matrix to avoid audio loop of course....

SHIT !!!!! what a deception....!since ipad Air 2 processor was VERY promising and effectively speedy on some apps use
....suffering i suppose from an increased Ram memory (???)treshold % preservation: i think kept to use for ipad video screen buffering (?)
new laptops PC intel i7 having Dedicated video card NOW don't ever crash or overload the way they used to do ( live 9)BEFORE ... unless reducing (laptop without dedicated video card)the screen settings to 16 bits colours....( no change!) to FREE processor power NOW giving priority to the PC Soundcard....
i am afraid SAME priority eating Ram to ease VIDEO on iPad air 2 gets Audio apps crashing at 60% of processor power as a matter of security for its Video screen touch ...interfering ALSO with moving auria on screen at any minimal touch (!!!)

Should have same Bypass video bits priority on offer into PC SETTINGS ....and same reduction choice of how many core to use : to boost the PC clocking...( most app OR DAW use and need only 2 cores...ipad air 2 gets 4...useless unless the inserted APPS into auria should share 2 cores apart...while Auria...use the 2 other cores.... which is a very meaningfull.....
possibility (????)
cheers....

mididrum
Expert

Post by mididrum » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 pm

YES IT IS RELATED TO IPAD AIR 2 since i use ALL of them with Auria
and get disgusted of iPad air 2 ...the only perfect pair right now is Ipad Air 1 matching with auria

ANOTHER IDEA TO CHECK
STOP the MULTITASKING GESTURE in General settings might help ....?( on others?)
it does not on mine....
as well as locking the sceen position ? ( on others ?)
Since lock Screen is made IMPOSSIBLE now useless in airpad2 : NO HARDWARE key...
since the processor needs to scroll the screen position to react at any touch on screen
this could USE power and/or disturb the audio use of CPU....???

i was stupid NOT understanding RAM content on screen was not the USED but the AVAILABLE amount...
so iPad AIR 2 has about 820 mb of ram free compared to AIR 1 only 36 mb on Same blank project
but...only Air 1 DO works fine...while iPad Air 2 makes Auria User : NUTS.....

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:55 am

I asked Apple for a status update on this bug, and they said they're still investigating it...

Rim

ChrisG
Expert

Post by ChrisG » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:18 pm

I just couldn't read this whole thread. But when the CPU is at 60-70%, I get some intermittent CPU spikes causing playback to stop, giving that popup. The CPU spikes doesn't seem to be tied to Auria, but rather perhaps something iOS8 is doing in the background. This is on iPad Air 1. Anyway, just thought I should report in! ;)

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:09 pm

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a new iPad. I currently have just an iPad 1. Previously I did all my recording on the iMac but will be moving to ios for greater mobility and hopefully simplification of the process. I had been using logic on the Mac and it seems that the logical step when moving to ios will be Auria, especially when pro is released. Now the decision needs to me made, air 1 or air 2..... The main use though not the only use of the iPad will be music recording. The answer should be obvious but there has been much discussion about whether the scroll bug is software or hardware related... I'd hate to buy an expensive piece of unfixable hardware.

What say you air 2 users, 1 and be able too use it fully, or 2 and use it carefully while hoping and waiting for a fix.
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:41 pm

I came from an iPad 1 to a 4. Then Air 1. I bought an Air 2 to touch the heights of performance. But, it's been a £400 let down of an experience, so far. If the Air 1 is better value, then get it. There is not much improvement with the Air 2. AND...there are issues with the touchscreen response. With apps like Samplr not behaving as tightly, as they did on the Air 1 iOS 7.1.2. I don't know the Air 1 and iOS 8. A controversial subject. I keep my Air 1 old school! Always set the Fabfilters to 4 x Oversampling when going into Mixdown, anyway. This gives me much better dynamics. And even with the Air 2 grunt-it's still not possible to run Fabfilters plugs at 4 x in realtime. So, I'd take an Air 1 and wait for the iPad Pro!

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:58 am

sELF wrote:I came from an iPad 1 to a 4. Then Air 1. I bought an Air 2 to touch the heights of performance. But, it's been a £400 let down of an experience, so far. If the Air 1 is better value, then get it. There is not much improvement with the Air 2. AND...there are issues with the touchscreen response. With apps like Samplr not behaving as tightly, as they did on the Air 1 iOS 7.1.2. I don't know the Air 1 and iOS 8. A controversial subject. I keep my Air 1 old school! Always set the Fabfilters to 4 x Oversampling when going into Mixdown, anyway. This gives me much better dynamics. And even with the Air 2 grunt-it's still not possible to run Fabfilters plugs at 4 x in realtime. So, I'd take an Air 1 and wait for the iPad Pro!
sELF, I had terrible performance with my air 2 until I powered it down (proper shut down) and rebooted. Now I can run things pretty smoothly and put Pro-L with x4 oversampling while playing back.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Hey. I always Reset my iPad before working on any project! I can have Pro L & MB at 2 to 4 x Oversampling live. Depending upon the Preset. I also have Auria Mixer in 64 Bit mode. And I have Pro Q at highest processor settings. So, I'm not doing too badly. But, the Air 1 isn't much different for me, at his stage, than the Air 2... :D

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Well it seems that this air2 scrollbug mainly manifests itself under certain conditions in Auria alone but I'm not hearing anything about it in other apps. The iPad air 1 seems only available as a 16 or 32gb machine now or at least that is all that is listed on the apple site. I think I will look to a future fix or use a different DAW till this is fixed and get the air 2 within it's 2gb ram. This will be my second iPad, having a 1st gen, and I don't plan to upgrade again for several more years after this so it seems to makes sense to get the latest and greatest. I don't feel like waiting for the eventual pro. I will however give Auria a good try before I try elsewhere as it promises pretty much everything I'd like to have in an ios DAW.
Air2 128GB, Auria Pro, Loopy, various apps in my collection. Assorted microphones, old m-audio mini keyboard, home made E-drum set, can of rocks, a bunch of home made acoustic and electric guitars, Basses, mandolins and guitjos, +other noise making toys.

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:27 pm

There are issues with the Air 2. Hard or software, I hope it's soft!
See here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/66 ... 5&tstart=0
And here: http://samplr.net/forum/index.php?p=/di ... lr-#Item_3

Johow
Expert

Post by Johow » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:52 pm

sELF wrote:There are issues with the Air 2. Hard or software, I hope it's soft!
See here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/66 ... 5&tstart=0
And here: http://samplr.net/forum/index.php?p=/di ... lr-#Item_3

Reading that, it sounds like buying the air 2 is a crap shoot. I guess one could try seberal and return or exchange but that's a pain in the ass. I suppose the tried and tested air 1 is the way to go but right now apple only has the original air in 16 or 32gb models. I had really planned to go with 128gb. I would go for a mini but it does seem awfully small.