Presonus Audiobox iTwo?

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

midwinter
Expert

Presonus Audiobox iTwo?

Post by midwinter » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Does anyone know if this Presonus Audiobox iTwo works with Auria? I'm currently using an ioDock, but the clicking and popping bug is driving me nuts, so I'm thinking of switching to something else.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BGR
Expert

Re: Presonus Audiobox iTwo?

Post by BGR » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:45 pm

I am also interested.

But Presonus mixed the specifications a bit in iOne-iTwo owners manual. Intentionally or not, it is not funny.

In their manual they state in the section 2.1 "Front Panel Control and Connections":

Input Gain Control. These knobs provide 52 dB of variable gain (-10 to +42 dB) on the microphone inputs and 51 dB of variable gain (-24 to +27 dB) on the instrument inputs.

But then they state in the section 6.1 "Specifications":
Microphone Preamp
Gain Control Range (± 1 dB): 0dB to 52dB

Could someons that has used this interface tell us their experience? Or better yet, could someone from Presonus clear this up?
Which is it: +42dB or +52dB in the microphone gain?

midwinter
Expert

Post by midwinter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:05 pm

I don't know about the gain amount, but I went ahead and picked one up. Works fine, although the power situation is, um odd. It gets power via USB (12w USB adapter) AND the iPad.

BGR
Expert

Post by BGR » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:30 pm

@midwinter

The 12W might not be so important I think. And please someone correct me if I am wrong.

The important specs from the power supply in this case would be the Amperes and the amount of Voltage. I imagine, being a USB power supply, that it should be a 5V with anything between 1A,1.5A or 2.1A.

Do you have another interface that you can compare it to? The Preamps gain is what I am interested in before I buy it.

Or do you have a voice or intrument sample that you are willing to share?

And, does it work standalone? I mean, if you connect a power supply but not to a computer or iPad, does it function normally?

mobilmort

Post by mobilmort » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:58 pm

BGR wrote:@midwinter

The 12W might not be so important I think. And please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Hi I found this here http://support.presonus.com/entries/491 ... d-my-iPad-
"We have had success with using portable power battery packs designed for tablets with the AudioBox iOne and AudioBox iTwo and support iOS devices.

The specific requirements you need to look for in when selecting a battery pack is that it specifically states that it will work for an Apple iPad.

The minimum power requirement is 2600mA (also read as 2.6A, 2.6 Amps, 2600 milliamps, 2600 millamps per hour or the most common method of display is 2600 mAh)

If the mAh (milliamp per hour) is less than 2600, it will not work reliably. You can however find battery packs with ratings up to 4000 mAh and above.

Performance will vary based on battery selection and method of use. With phantom power enabled with an M7 running with an iTwo we were able to run for more than an hour on a full charge on the battery we tested with a 2600mAh.

We found our battery for an affordable price at a local electronics retail store. The 2600 mAh battery started to falter after that before requiring a recharge.

Note: Not all phantom powered microphones pull the full 48V DC power from the AudioBox iOne or AudioBox iTwo. Your battery performance will differ based on the microphone(s) you are using.
"

So looks like it is truly portable I think I'll be getting one.