ipad Air 2 RME UCX Total Mix Problems

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Yodasoldier

ipad Air 2 RME UCX Total Mix Problems

Post by Yodasoldier » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Here we go ....New iPad with latest iOS, UCX, With Auria, stound stutters crackles , delays and stops when using total mix with Auria. Apps crash and I'm getting hi memory usage warnings with only few tracks in Auria, memory usage spikes and CPU usage spikes. Not very useable at the mo ...just thought I'd let you guys know have also told RME :wink:

Rim
Site Admin

Re: ipad Air 2 RME UCX Total Mix Problems

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 pm

Sounds pretty unusual. Especially running out of memory with an extra GB of RAM. Do you have other apps running in the background? What kind of latency are you using in Auria?

Are you using Audiobus? I have seen some posts on the Audiobus forum which talk about issues with iOS8 and Audiobus which cause crackles.

Rim

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi Rim,
nothing running in the background and no Audiobus. Latency set at 256. Only using 3 track,s seems a little buggy. Without running RME total mix and UCX Auria still seems to show memory and cpu spikes on projects than ran fine on the air.. Low Memory warnings etc. I guess there will be some work required on Auria to integrate with the new IPad air 2. Just a heads up really.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:41 pm

That can't be right. On my iPad Air 2, a simple project like you describe (3 tracks, no plugins), I get free memory of over 1GB. Can you send me an example project, or describe in more detail how to set up a project that causes what you're seeing? I would really like to see this here.

Rim

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:48 am

Hi Rim,
Ok have rebooted the air 2 and the three track project seems to be behaving itself without using the RME UCX and total mix. The graphic display for the memory monitor seems to be out though when it says 760mb the bars are almost full is this because Auria still thinks there is only 1gb?
Projects with larger track counts and lots of plugins seem to be running a lot better but I'm sometimes getting playback stop and CPU warning messages occasionally when I move something on screen with CPU meter hovering around 50% . Seems like my main problem is with Total MIx FX when using my UCX. Will keep testing if I can find something that shows the problem easily will send it over. Still ...the quality of audio and production that I get out of Auria amazes me ...the reason for buying an Air 2 was the 2gb of memory and extra processing power...looking forward it being problem free...to the future!

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:22 am

Glad that a reboot helped. There are definitely still some bugs in iOS8 which could cause strange behavior like this, and a reboot sometimes helps. The memory meter is correct - it's showing you the amount free vs the amount available. On an iPad 2 Air, the amount that's available to apps is around 1.3GB according to my tests (the rest is used by iOS).

Rim

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:43 am

Been playing with other apps with the UCX and total Mix and I'm only getting the problems mentioned when using Auria, will wait for updates to fix. just out of interest do you know how much memory the air 1 uses for ios out of its 1gb?

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:04 pm

new update today....but still getting cpu warnings :(

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:12 pm

I didn't fix anything related to what you're describing, as I haven't experienced this myself. So far, the only CPU-related issues I've seen are related to scrolling (moving your finger on the screen slowly to make the mixer or editor scroll). I've added some delay to fix this particular problem. Sounds like what you're describing is something different.

Rim

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:10 pm

no ...Im still getting cpu warnings sometimes when I scroll the graphics on projects running at 50 % cpu as also stated in my posts.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Are you sure you're running 1.154? You can verify this by going to the settings page and looking at the version number listed at the bottom. The reason I ask is if you tried updating right when the update got approved, sometimes it take a while for the update to propagate through Apple's servers, so you might not have the latest version yet.

I tested several projects, and have not been able to get that CPU problem to reappear with this latest fix. If you're sure you're running 1.154 and you're still getting CPU issues on an Air 2 when scrolling across Auria's mixer or editor, I'd say there's nothing that can be done until Apple addresses this serious problem.

Rim

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi Rim, Yeah it's the latest version.
You know the more I play with audio apps the more I'm seeing problems in audio so you may be right Rim, the problem could actually be coming from the IOS side. Fingers crossed for a fix from apple! The air 2 handles graphics differently I guess due to its GPU.. maybe there in lies a problem and hopefully a fix.

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:57 am

latest update looks like problems fixed!
:D

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:36 pm

:cry: no it didn't .... Any further news on this ?

Yodasoldier

Post by Yodasoldier » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Same with new iOS 8.1.3 :cry:

Is this the end? ....are you experiencing the same with Auria pro with iPad air 2 ?