Fab Filter Spectrum Analyzer Bug and Crash

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Drambuee

Fab Filter Spectrum Analyzer Bug and Crash

Post by Drambuee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:04 am

I'm using Pro-q's analyser to see what frequencies are being output from the filters in iPolysix while self resonating.
This is great for designing sounds such as Kick Drums and Bass and works great.

The problem is that somewhere between 30 secnds and five mins of playing audio through the plugin the Analyser starts to show frequncies which are not part of the audio.

I tested this by playing a sine wave though the analyser which shows the fundamental and a couple of higher hamonics as it should.

After a minute or two the analyser starts to show frequencies below , between and above the harmonics leaving it impossible to see where the real audio is in the spectrum.
The resulting spectrum curve looks almost like white noise going through a low pass filter with a fairly wide slope.

Once this happens it doesn't matter what audio i play through it the Analyzer shows a full frequency spectrum with the high's tailing off until they eventualy hit the -75 db floor at about 5khz.
I've tried this with audio Tracks AND synths via Audiobus but same happens in both scenarios

PS i'm on an iPad 4 with 64mb ram and had this problem within IOS6
The same occurs after upgrading to IOS7 except Pro-Q / Auria Eventually Hang now as mentioned in another thread on here

Drambuee

Re: Fab Filter Spectrum Analyzer Bug and Crash

Post by Drambuee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:14 am

Eventually after leaving Auria playing for between 1 to 10 mins (the time it takes to hang varies) Auria hangs and the entire interface including fabfilter stop responding and the audio ceases playback. The only way to recover is to kill off and restart auria.

It seems as though this may only be happening when The FabFilter Pro-Q Gui is showing although i haven't had time to do extensive tests, i think the app may not hang if i disable the Spectrum Analyzer. Unfortunately the analyzer is the most useful part of the app for me !

PS the Project has a single audio track which i recording in from iPolysix / Audiobus. I've reopened it without Audiobus or iPoly running but the crashes and Spectrum Analyzer inaccuracies still occur when Auria is the only app running

The Memory meter is showing around 235mb in use and the cpu never goes over 6 percent

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 am

Thanks for letting me know, I'll pass this info on to FabFilter.

Rim

eyegor

Post by eyegor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:28 am

Dear Rim,
I've experienced the same bug, but in a "lighter" situation: I was equalizing a vocal track by Pro-Q in a 48 KHz project with spectrum analyzer on (pre and post view): Auria frozen after 90 secs and restarted by 2 - 3 mins. If I switch off spectrum an. there are no problems.

I own a 4g 64GB iPad running IOS 7.0.3, Auria 1.14.

Bye

Eye

Schimanski
Expert

Post by Schimanski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:51 pm

The same bug here ,I think since the last Auria update.For me too the ProQ Analyzer is very important part of my
workflow......

Drambuee

Post by Drambuee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:51 pm

I believe the hanging stops when the Spectrum analyzer is switched off here as well.

I think the hanging may have come with ios7 tho i'm not 100% sure it wasn't happening on ios6.

The Analyzer filling in the gaps between the peaks was definitely there in ios6 tho. It shows the spectrum properly for a few minutes and then gets stuck. Playback continues and the playhead / position counter keep moving until the second bug kicks in and the Whole app hangs

Thanks for looking into this for us

Janushka

Post by Janushka » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

hello People here,

I see Pro Q does the same here , But also on Pro DS.
This plugin is even worse as Q, because it stop as soon as you open this after a minute or so , and causing a complete crash of auria. again and again . Can`t use this DS at all for now

use this on ipad 4 with plenty of diskspace .

I hope you can fix this in the next update too . Thnx . with patience,

Janushka Holland .

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks guys, I've let FabFilter know about this one.

Rim

JinDim

Post by JinDim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:09 am

Hi

I have a problem perhaps a little on the sideline of this thread.

When inserting Pro-Q as an insert on a track the analyzer is not running - also says "Off" in its box.
If I press the box a deflated "speech bubble" appears, with no way of changing any settings.
This flat "speech bubble" also appears when I press any of the other push buttons to make changes. Apart from the bypass button that seems to work fine.

What to do?

All the best
Jarle

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:49 am

Are you using iOS8? This might be related to the other issue that iOS8 has caused (presets).

Rim

JinDim

Post by JinDim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi

Yes I am using ios8
Any fix in sight?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks. I've let FabFilter know about both of these issues, and hopefully they'll get me a new version soon.

Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:18 pm

I've been doing more tests and I have found that this problem with the options at the bottom of all the Fabfilter plugins do not display the options and show a small bubble with nothing in it.. Cheers
~~_/)~~~*