New GUI!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

tensixtysix
Expert

Re: New GUI!

Post by tensixtysix » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:33 am

Amazing is the right word.
2 GUIs for the price of 1 and MIDI.
Cheers Rim.

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:27 am

Anthony Alves wrote:I love the current GUI. I especially like that the mixer resembles an SSL board. The 3d demension is what attracted me to Auria in the first place. The PSP channel strip and all the plugins look like a real PC/Mac plugin as most plugins for desktops look just like ours. The new Capture by Presonus is really boring much like Cubasis. And this is of course my own opinion and I am sure there are many different tastes out there.
I already think the editor window is pretty flat so the only thing I could see different would be the drop down menus to be paralxed and a wider choice of track colours. I would like to see 48 colours one for each track. If the mixer or PsP channel strip go flat that would be unfortunate but if having a more stramline and somewhat boring iOS 7 look frees up Auria's resources than that would make sense but if it doesn't than I think I will stay with the older version and avoid the update even if it includes midi as I already use midi sequencers and apps for all my midi work locked up to Auria. I think Auria looks like a desktop daw and I hope this is not a complete redesign. Cheers. And this is just my point of view please don't beat me up for it. ~~_/)~~~*
Have to say,i like both:Aurias UI and the Cubasis one.But when it comes to workflow only (not visuals) Cubasis wins by far imo.Just because it's miles faster/smoother than Auria.I never had a smooth experience without stuttering in Aurias Edit screen,not even on the latest devices (Mini retina currently).Mind you,not everybody is using Auria just for a handful of very long files.if you have 6-8 tracks upwards and try to arrange/copy files that are 16 or 32 bars long...things slow down dramatically.So,i'm really looking forward to the new UI
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:20 am

Agreed, if the new GUI speeds up and smoothens Auria's workflow I'll use it for sure. Cheers.

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:18 pm

if the new UI speed up things then +1 for it

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:40 pm

djjuniorpops wrote:if the new UI speed up things then +1 for it
i remember an older post from Rim were he confirmed that the new UI will be faster/smoother than the current one.So,fingers crossed :)
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Yes, the new editor GUI is completely rewritten for speed while keeping the same functionality you're used to (plus a lot more). It's very smooth.

Rim

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Heya, Rim, and Everyone--

Let's see...

I agree with Anthony's takes on the "SSL-ness", dimensionality, dislike of Cubasis, and his general design thoughts.

I also agree with Dominic's general Apple gripes.

One of the (many) issues I have with iOS 7 is the whole "flat look" b.s. Why? Aesthetics aside, for a moment, it's because it was a *gigantic* Homogenizer handed down from On High. While devs weren't forced into the look, all it takes is a look at reviews in the App Store to begin to appreciate the pressure from the Great Unwashed for devs to make their apps flat-looking--and therefore, trendily up-to-date. Whiners even took stars off to penalize devs for not having flat icons. How unnecessary. Some things benefited from the flatness, some didn't. But the pressure to homogenize caused some unnecessary losses in the UI/UX department.

(One big aesthetics-loss to me was the fairly mighty "Beat Twirl"--the only ReCycle-like standalone iOS app. It had the funkiest, coolest interface look-and-feel...until iOS 7 appeared.)

At the same time, I'm in 200% agreement with UI/UX guru, Jakob Nielsen, about his #1 rule: Never make the user "play" the interface. (In other words: it should be clear how to use it in and of itself, be logical, have enough references to standard/accepted paradigms, and not cause the user to focus on it (instead of calling attention to its novelty or coolness or prettiness, etc.)

iOS devs often fall victim to the negatives I just listed--Apple being the absolute, greatest offender of them all. That being said, around the iOS 5 & 6 era, I felt there was getting to be a somewhat reasonable balance between an exciting "Wild West free-for-all" dynamic, and some maturity (at least among the top-shelf devs who were already reliably design- and coding-savvy).

Then, as I said before, iOS 7 rears it's head, and the devs are forced into...Panopticon Mode (a state of self-policing).

I've always loved Auria (and respected WaveMachine Labs) for the superior interface. It gets the Jakob Nielsen basics right and that invisible, second-nature transparency simply allows me to work (play!).

These are my 200 cents, and I approve this message. :P

Nick
millionVALVE

p.s. I made computer games for 17 years with Sid Meier. I've worked on over 15 Triple-A titles. While Lead Artist, I also did one full game's interface, terrain, etc. (Sid Meier's Civilization III").

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:41 pm

No problem, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there will be an option to use the "classic" look and feel if you prefer that. It'll be an option in the settings.

Rim

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 am

Rim could you give us a little peak of the UI

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 am

Sorry, the GUI is far from finished. It's typically the last thing that gets updated. But as soon as I have something worth showing, I'll post it.

Rim

djjuniorpops
Expert

Post by djjuniorpops » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks Rim, keep you the good work.

CE3
Expert

Post by CE3 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:56 am

Anthony Alves wrote:Rim you are amazing. That is a very cool option and who knows, I may grow to like the new UI but it's great to hear that that beloved look we've come to embrace will stay with us. Thanks Rim for always thinking ahead. Cheers.~~_/)~~~*
Seriously. The level of communication here is impressive and appreciated. Thanks for all your hard work Team Auria!