Vocal Normalizing

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Shay
Expert

Vocal Normalizing

Post by Shay » Sun May 04, 2014 1:38 pm

I'm a noob.
I'm mixing and recording my music and vocals inside Auria.
My big problem is making all vocal parts sound at the same level.
Since I make several takes, some vocal recordings sound different from others in loudness, bass quality etc...

Are there any rules or tools I can use to normalize the vocal across the song.
I know it requires a lot of practicing but where should I put my focus?

Thanks,
Shay

mtingle
Expert

Re: Vocal Normalizing

Post by mtingle » Sun May 04, 2014 1:44 pm

i would just select a region that is too loud and reduce its gain on a per clip basis.

or,

have a a bunch of tracks with different grades of volumes on and then simply move a region to a track with the right volume level.

or,

put a compressor on the track which will balance it out some.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 pm

Thanks mtingle.

I'm playing with the gain process on regions.
Is there an automated tool for limiting the voice gain while recording or post recording?
I still need to read more about compressing when used on vocals.

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Sun May 04, 2014 3:02 pm

you'd be better off working on the mic technique. check out sound on sound magazine website, they have stacks of articles on this kind of thing. Once a vocal is recorded right, mixing it will be easier.

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Agreed, using compression or limiting for something like this is the wrong way to approach it. Changing the clip gain as other's have suggested is really the best way until you get better are recording the vocals at the same level while working on a track.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Sun May 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Thank you both. :D

Erik dP
Expert

Post by Erik dP » Sun May 04, 2014 5:54 pm

I found since buying (two years ago) a large membrane mic (Röde NT2a) that the similarities between takes have nearly the same eq-sound compared to when I was using a small membrane mic. Could be the larger distance of use, mouth to mic. Saves a lot of time, as I can make a repair-take a week later and it sounds the same as the earlier takes.
Song writer http://www.youtube.com/erikdepomian
"Your Comfort Lie" "White Feather" "Canyons" "Where No Monsters Go" ...and more.

Spud
Expert

Post by Spud » Sun May 04, 2014 8:09 pm

Distance from the mic will affect bass a lot, so you need to be very careful to keep that consistant between takes. A pop filter can help know how far you are from the mic.

bash

Post by bash » Sun May 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Try to remain consistent PHYSICALLY (distance, angle, etc.) while recording, firstly. Normalizing is fine (although lots of folks feel it's a no-no) but the mantra should be "get it right going in". That means maximizing gain stages on the way in and endeavoring to contribute consistent performances while keeping an eye on the meters.

What I mean by that is decide if -18db or whatever is going to be your average metering going in and then adjust accordingly. If you're going to sing a soft version, get close to the mic, or if experimenting with a screamer performance, back away, always with an eye to the metering so they both average around -18.

That said, it's time to get to know how to use a compressor or limiter. They were designed for just what you are trying to achieve. BUT they work best when they work the least (mostly, crushing drums is another story) so it's best not to rely on extreme processing to "fix" performances that are just too dynamically different due to inconsistencies in placement and performance.

Checkrath
Expert

Post by Checkrath » Mon May 05, 2014 12:38 am

+1 All the above

A compressor is possibly the most important effect to understand with vocals. I tend to lather it on all my vocal tracks (a bit frowned upon by some) . When used right, it makes the vocal pop out in the mix and evens out the voice.

Shay
Expert

Post by Shay » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 am

Reading all this great information I think that one of my mistakes is holding my mic without a stand (told you I'm a noob :) ).
Perhaps with a stand I'll be able to control the distance and watch Auria meters.
That way I'll be able to perform consistent takes and a small gain correction or minor compressor will be sufficient.

I appreciate all your support.
Thanks,
Shay