How are you bringing Drums into Auria?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Strumlord

How are you bringing Drums into Auria?

Post by Strumlord » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and would love some feedback from the community on how you bring drums into Auria. Live drums will not be an option for me. I've read a little in past threads about a few different apps but the threads are dated and I thought users could be utilizing audiobus now. I got the drumagog plug in and the rock drums loop pack as well as the multi loop pack. So I plan to toy with those to get started. I have some out board gear as well and some really nice apps on my daw so I suppose I possibly have options there too. So... If you have the time, I'd love to hear how you build up drum tracks in Auria.
Thanks!

Rusko
Expert

Re: How are you bringing Drums into Auria?

Post by Rusko » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Heya, Strum--

I've been experimenting with this very topic, recently, to get a feel for it in Auria/iPad in general.

I've been using Reason and Cubase on my Mac since 2001, and Live just a little after that. It's such a comfortable environment for me, and doing audio on the iPad is just so...odd...feeling. (Which is why I've been using my iPad almost exclusively for the past six months--to get used to it.)

In terms of anything--drums included--I play mental chess with what my goals are vs. organization vs. processing power. How much control do I need in terms of the specific instruments and sounds? What kind of processing do I envision using? (I love the FabFilter Pro-C, Pro-Q, and Saturn...and I keep in mind their CPU diet and what kind of track-freezing will be necessary.)

Just two days ago I found a backup disk of the stems of one of my best songs. I decided it would be a great exercise to get it all into Auria and mix it fresh. The whole thing is 21 tracks, without vocals. In Auria, I've arranged the track, order to make sense to me (track 1 is Kick, 2 snare, 3 hats, 4 cymbals, etc) then on to Bass (track 5 is me playing Real Bass, track 6 synth sub-bass)...on and on.

Then, I use Sub-Groups to further define and organize things: Subgroup 1 is Drum-drum sounds (which might include some edited drum loop audio, further down my track list) and Sub 2 is "metallics" (hats/cymbals--unless the volume dynamics become too disparate, in which case I'll split em).

If it all gets too much to manage neatly and quickly, I'll bounce whatever I'm not focusing on, delete those individual tracks, and bring in that reference bounce to play behind the drum mix.

If I see an opportunity to add something new and exciting, I'll restart Auria in an AudioBus session and fire up some other apps to experiment with. And again--planning towards organization and CPU--I'll adjust various processes to fit (what do I bounce, what do I export and with how much specificity, etc).

Nick
millionVALVE

p.s. I posted right under you--can you tell me about that Drumagog install? Thanks!

Tarekith
Expert

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:42 pm

I mainly use DM1 for my drums, and I tend to record 8-16 bar sections as a single stereo wav file. Saves CPU and track psace in Auria, and I like the record it and move on aspect of production these days.

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:56 pm

On the computer, ez drummer and superior drummer are what I use when a live drummer is not an option.

Manndolins

Post by Manndolins » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:32 pm

I use Drums on Demand apple loops..build my track in garage band then use drop box to import to Auria.
To my ear Drums on demand has the most usable, realistic, loops. They are also working on an ios app.

firehosed
Expert

Post by firehosed » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:39 am

DrumLoops HD has worked very well for me.

Strumlord

Post by Strumlord » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:00 am

Manndolins wrote:I use Drums on Demand apple loops..build my track in garage band then use drop box to import to Auria.
To my ear Drums on demand has the most usable, realistic, loops. They are also working on an ios app.
Thanks!
I'll check into that.

Strumlord

Post by Strumlord » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 am

firehosed wrote:DrumLoops HD has worked very well for me.
I thought i read somewhere that the tempo was fixed in Drum Loops HD. Is this true?

rkmonkey
Expert

Post by rkmonkey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:45 pm

I use drum loops HD often. They offer many tempos for each group. In addition, you can time stretch and create your own fills within Auria.
I also have purchased drums on demand products. I have many in Dropbox that I import into Auria. They are having a sale now also.
cheers,
RKM

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:28 pm

K, I have drumloops hd, dm1 , and drum studio. I thought it would be best to do individualized tracks for each drum part ( kick, snare etc) as mentioned above using drumstudio or dm1 or the like. So then I wondered what midi drum pad to consider to make it more easier/ fun and does anyone have a pad recommendation? I saw the Akai MPD 18 ( amongst many on the net) which seems cheap and assume it would control the drumstudio to record through audiobus into Auria (as opposed to using the internal sounds that come with the MPD)? Sorry I'm a total newbie.

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:39 am

I play drums, and record em…
Brandon.

rocdok
Expert

Post by rocdok » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Manimpretty wrote:I play drums, and record em…
Too late for me...although a full midi drum kit setup would be fun. I messed with drum studio and it works fine but the tempo thing is a bit awkward. I know I can play live or cut and paste from drumstudio but Not sure otherwise how to line up a prerecorded drum track through audiobus and make the tempo of drumstudio line up with the tempo of Auria.

Itzed

Post by Itzed » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:12 am

Manimpretty wrote:I play drums, and record em…
Acoustic or electronic? And how do you record them and what interface do you use to bring them into the ipad?

Manimpretty
Expert

Post by Manimpretty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:53 pm

I use an audiobox 1818vsl, and 8 mics. Acoustic kit. Set the metronome and hit record. That's really all there is to it.
So much faster and easier to just play the part rather than try to create and import from some app. :D
Brandon.

Itzed

Post by Itzed » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:18 am

Manimpretty wrote:I use an audiobox 1818vsl, and 8 mics. Acoustic kit. Set the metronome and hit record. That's really all there is to it.
So much faster and easier to just play the part rather than try to create and import from some app. :D
I agree 100%! Happy holidays to you!