Ipad 5 with Edirol UA25-ex and auria

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

blake

Ipad 5 with Edirol UA25-ex and auria

Post by blake » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi,
I am seriously looking into getting an Ipad 5 now I have seen the Auria music production software, I am very impressed with what can be achieved. I do have a few concerns and wondered if somebody could clear things up for me?

1. I have an Edirol UA25-EX and it appears to work with Auria, I checked on the working interface list, but I have seen forums where owners have had trouble getting it to work. Also it needs to be powered via USB as it doesn't have it's own power supply. Can I use any powered USB hub to power the UA25-EX and then connect it to the Ipad 5?

2. The Ipad 5 has a different connection to the older Ipads, is it possible to connect USB hubs to it?

3. Is the Ipad 5 upto recording 30 plus audio tracks without seizing up? I will only be recording 2 track max at a time.

4. Is it easy to export finnished songs to a external hard drive/flash drive?

5. Would it just be easier to get a Behringer IS202 or the UCA222?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

djeanhimself

Re: Ipad 5 with Edirol UA25-ex and auria

Post by djeanhimself » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 am

Hi,
1. Not sure... I have the Roland Duo Capture Ex, and It can be powered with batteries, USB or ac, but when using it with the ipad, they say in the manual that the USB power doesn't work... I haven't tested it yet with a powered hub

2. Yes, the ipad5 (air) has the same lightning connector as the ipad4. Just get a Lightning camera connection kit and you're good to go

3. I'm pretty sure it will work fine...

4. I'm not using Auria (yet)

5. I personnaly recommand the Duo Capture ex...

blake

Post by blake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi djeanhimself,
Thanks for your reply.

I like the UA25-EX alot, sounds good to my ears especially if your on a budget. I will check out the Roland Duo Capture Ex. It's such a pain that the UA25-EX doesn't come with it's own power, apart from that it's a nice little unit.

Apparently the new Ipad Air has a dual core 1.4GHz processor, not sure about RAM, hopefully more than 1 GB.

I have been looking at the MAC mini as well as it is pretty quick, just need to add a monitor and it's good to go. More cheaper than buying a IMAC. The monitor is so expensive. According to my local retailer it's £899 for the monitor alone. So the Mac mini is £679 with a quad core processor.

Does Auria run only on the Ipad?

djeanhimself

Post by djeanhimself » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:43 am

Hi
Indeed, auria is iPad only.

Recording on a desktop vs a mac is very different. If your studio doesn't need to be mobile, a desktop solution is probably a better choice...

blake

Post by blake » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Thanks for your help.

sjm88

Post by sjm88 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 am

Hiya,

I have the UA-25 (not EX), and I can confirm that it works beautifully with Auria. I connect it to my iPad Air (previously - to my iPad 3) with the lighting to 30-pin adapter, and an old 30pin USB camera connection kit.

The reason some people might be reporting problems is that you have to have the UA25's "Advanced Mode" unchecked (it's a button on the back). I can't remember the exact settings I have, and I'm not home - but if you like I can post a picture of the back of the box, as it is working great for me.

You will need to have a powered USB Hub - I use the aluminium, Apple-y looking one from Belkin. Make sure it is plugged into its own wall socket though, as having it in a multi board can, in my experience, introduce quite a bit of noise to the USB setup.

I also connect an AXIOM-61 keyboard to the hub, and can play keys (via Audiobus) and record my voice on two mics, all in Auria. It's quite amazing! I can also record guitar and vocals to separate tracks in Auria.

I bought the UA-25 waaaay back in high school, for a clunky old pentium, and it's pretty amazing that it is still going strong on the latest stuff.

I do find the multitude of cables and adapters a bit irritating, so I am looking at the new Apogee Duet - but the UA should serve you admirably.

EDIT: Also, the iPad air absolutely flies with Auria - it hasn't batted an eyelid. The only issue you will have is with RAM, sadly Apple didn't see fit to give us any more than the last two generations - having said that, I have not had many issues, and I haven't lost any work when I have had them. Especially as you are only two-at-a-time, you should be fine.

blake

Post by blake » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Hey smj88,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am closer to getting an ipad air, just sold a load of hardware on ebay so I now have the money to buy one and auria. Everything seems to stack up well with the for and againsts. The only niggle I have, and you made the point, is the new Ipad air still only has 1 GB RAM! Come on!

I know I would not hesitate buying one if Apple had at least added another GB of RAM, really how much harder and expensive would it have been?

Apple make excellent products but they really piss me off with the way they coerce people into paying more for things like RAM which is cheap, yet they want you to pay exuberant prices for it. Not good Apple.

Anyway I digress, it is good to know your having excellent results with your Edirol UA-25. Can't see any real difference between this and the EX so it should work ok?

I will keep investigating a little more just to make sure the Ipad Air will serve me well and I don't regret buying one. As this will be my main recording device it's got to be worth it.

jamsden

Post by jamsden » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:36 pm

dgeanhimself,
Are you using the Roland Duo-Capture ex with iPad 5 (Air) and iOS 7? http://www.rolandus.com/support/knowled ... w/23460551 does not list that as one of the compatible configurations, and some other forums have indicated problems.

BrandMo

Post by BrandMo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:50 pm

I noticed the UA25-ex was on the list, and tried it out with my iPad mini 2 and I consistently get the 'Cannot Use Device' messages specifically targeting my UA-25. Anyone have any other advice for getting this connected? I have it plugged into a hub which has it's own power. The other devices on the hub (axiom 49) are recognized without issue.