Midi capabilities

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sebastianbarria
Expert

Midi capabilities

Post by sebastianbarria » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Hello.
I know that Auria is not full midi supporting, and i'm not that expert in midi, so I would like to know what exactly could I do with Auria and midi.
Could anybody give me some examples please?... Thanks a lot!!!

Shay
Expert

Re: Midi capabilities

Post by Shay » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:18 pm

Actualy it is very simple.

You will be able to write a complete song into Auria as notes and then play it on any external virtual Synth app, such as Sunrizer, Mini Moog etc or any upcoming internal Synth plugins.

Later by pressing record & play you will record each of them into its dedicated Auria track via AudioBus / internally .
If you later decide to change a couple of notes in your song, you will edit them in Auria and then record it again, simply with Record & Play.

Put on top of that the ability to control each of the Synth parameters from Auria you get full orchestra & record system in the same app almost without a need to switch apps.

Regards,
Shay

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:10 pm

@Shay: I think the OP was asking what Auria can do, MIDI-wise, right now. What you describe is the sort of thing that will be possible when Auria finally has a MIDI IAP. Sadly, I don't feel qualified to explain what Auria can do with MIDI Clock, etc.

Anyone?

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks to both.
And yes, I was asking for what Auria is able to do right now, because I see some midi config but I dont know what to do with that.
I have a midi keyboard and I can play notes that can be recieved by other apps and reproduced with their own sound banks, but i cant do that with Auria.
Is there sonething I could do with my keyboard and Auria for example?
Thanks

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm

@sebastianbarria: The MIDI config in Auria is (for the time-being) only about synchronising Auria with other apps and devices, using special MIDI instructions. Auria does not yet have the facility to sequence or record MIDI data, so it can't (yet) record your keyboard data and play it back to control MIDI instruments, for example.

I'll have to leave it to other, more knowledgeable, folks to explain how to sync apps and external devices with MIDI. I get the impression that there are discrepancies in the way other apps implement MIDI sync but the sort of thing one might want to do is have a drum app start and stop playing when you press the transport buttons in Auria and that the two stay in tempo with each other. That's just one simple example (but it's not always simple to achieve - it depends upon the particular drum app).

sebastianbarria
Expert

Post by sebastianbarria » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your explanation @washboy.
If someone else could explain this deeper I will be grateful.

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:38 pm

sebastianbarria wrote:Thanks a lot for your explanation @washboy.
If someone else could explain this deeper I will be grateful.
You're welcome!

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon. Until then, take a look at chapter #11 (MIDI Sync & Remote) of the Auria User Guide.

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to control Auria transport controls via midi?
I have a midi foot controller (MFC10) and it would be very cool to be able to play, rewind, record, etc. with this.

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 pm

If your foot controller supports MMC, you can control the transport.

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks Rim

Just when I'm starting to understand midi MMC comes along and changes things!
The control signals are specified as packets of data where fields refer to address and commands.
This data format is very different from what I'm used to when setting up midi devices.
Does anyone know if there is a way to convert this data to the midi (controller) commands I'm used to?
Or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 am

MMC is easy. If your footswitch controller support it it works, and if it doesn't, it won't work ;) It's just another protocol like MTC. If you see it mentioned in the manual of your controller as a protocol that's supported, give it a try. The only parameter you need to set in Auria is the MMC ID. This needs to be the same as the ID of your controller.

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 am

It's not mentioned in the manual, so I guess it doesn't support it.
I've asked Yamaha for info. If I hear back I'll let you all know.

Currently looking at 'MIDI Designer' to see if it will work as an interface/converter allowing my hardware to control Auria.
May open up lots of possibilities!
Let you know on that one too.