Confirmed, FaderPort Works

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Washboy
Expert

Re: Confirmed, FaderPort Works

Post by Washboy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 pm

r3watson wrote:Hey, just wanted to share my results. With a powered USB hub, I was able to run Faderport, an external MIDI keyboard, and my Apogee Jam interface. Audiobus recording was fine, and audio via Apogee Jam had no latency issues. Wow, I am impressed!
That's really interesting. When I first got my Apogee Jam, I tried using it via the supplied USB lead (instead of the 30-pin connector lead) and it wouldn't work. Apogee said iPad was only supported via the 30-pin and that the USB was for Macs only. I wonder if it's an iPad4 thing that allows it to work via USB (mine's an iPad3, so I use the CCK for USB).

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:30 am

Had some issues with the duet and a powered hub (Belkin). The duet turned on and off, would not work consistently.
Followed steps outlined by previous poster (hub into ipad via USB to lightening adapter, duet, mpk25 & FaderPort into hub). Was using external power with all devices. Will experiment some more today.

IPadArtist
Expert

Post by IPadArtist » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:58 pm

69strat wrote:Had some issues with the duet and a powered hub (Belkin). The duet turned on and off, would not work consistently.
Followed steps outlined by previous poster (hub into ipad via USB to lightening adapter, duet, mpk25 & FaderPort into hub). Was using external power with all devices. Will experiment some more today.
It may be that the Duet is set to be the main input source, ie. it wants to be the first unit connected to the iPad. Try using the Duet as the main input and connect the belkin usb hub to the Duets usb input with the FaderPort and Mk25 to the hub. I do believe (but I will double check) that Maistro software for setting up the Duet is available for the iPad. It may have to have it's settings adjusted. I am in contact with Apogee and will get back to you with any info I get on this set-up. This all will work as it does for most of us using Apogee hardware. Hopefully you get it up and running soon.
OK, I did some research and there may be a conflict in power due to the fact that the Duet powers the iPad while it's connected. It is possible that the Duet will power down if it can't send it's power to the battery. The powered USB hub may not allow the power flow from the Duet so the Duet thinks the iPad has been shut down and this could turn off the Duets power or interfere with it. I have also found that on Apogee's web site they mention that it is possible to power controlers from the USB built in port on the Duet which also means that that port is a powered usb port so again there could be power conflicts. I would first test the Belkin with just the MPK25 attatched and see that that works and controls all your synths. Knowing that means the Belkin is functioning properly. Next try just the FaderPort and see that it works with the Belkin, then akk the MPK25 and see if that works and finally di a test with the belkin with first just the Duet. If the Duet works fine than move on. My guess is that if you can get the Duet to work with the Belkin than adding the other devices will be no problem. If you have to connect everything to the Duet and use the usb hub to just combine the other devices into the Duets usb in. Your worst case sinario is that you have to plug in your faderport when using Auria and the MPK25 when inputing midi notes in Audiobus and Auria. Let me know how you make out. Good luck.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 am

69strat wrote:Flawless so far...every feature on the FaderPort that i have tried works without a hitch!
So cool to see the motorized fader do it's thing!
Loving the update so far!
Rim, I am in you debt sir!
Sorry for all of the ! But this is epic
Hi 69Strat , were you able to have the motorized faders follow Aurias fader? I updated to the latest firmware at the Presonus site. Don't know if that made a difference. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.

amahdigital
Expert

Post by amahdigital » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello There , just purchased faderport A few days ago , using with ipad 4 and belkin powerd hub -everything seems to work ... stop /start / record etc. except motorised faders -( powered up) they don't follow aurias fader movements ,anyone know if there something iam doing wrong?
:roll:

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:46 pm

amahdigital wrote:Hello There , just purchased faderport A few days ago , using with ipad 4 and belkin powerd hub -everything seems to work ... stop /start / record etc. except motorised faders -( powered up) they don't follow aurias fader movements ,anyone know if there something iam doing wrong?
No your doing nothing wrong. My FaderPort won't follow Auria's fader either nor can I record automation of the Pan control. Hopefully this can be solved soon but still a really cool combination FaderPort & Auria. Cheers and your not alone as I think tons of users will be getting one of these to use with Auria as this unit is current and readily available at a very affordable price.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:07 am

We only tested the actual Mackie HUI and MCU Pro here, and the faders worked fine in both directions. I'll see if we can get a Faderport in here to test this.

Thanks,
Rim

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:51 am

Rim wrote:We only tested the actual Mackie HUI and MCU Pro here, and the faders worked fine in both directions. I'll see if we can get a Faderport in here to test this.

Thanks,
Rim
As far as my research has taken me, I can only find used Mackie HUI forsale on ebay at around $700 and that thiese units are no longer made. So I think adding a new feature like this but handled by a controller that is obsolete is difficult to put together for most users. Were only lucky that the FaderPort is available and works with Auria. I will contact PreSonus to begin a dialog to bring thie FaderPorts settings to work with Auria as currently they have quite a lot of competition in the desktop daw catagory but no competition when it comes to the iPad. So theoretically they could sell thousands more to Auria users if it works well and so far only a couple of minor features are not working. Thanks for trying this unit out getting back to us. Cheers

amahdigital
Expert

Post by amahdigital » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello Anthony ,and thanks for your reply - so far iam pleased with what the combination of auria and the faderport can do
And I think this could be a very good partnership between the two , so good luck with your communications with presonus .
Also I did stumble on your Auria /faderport preview on youtube -could be he start of a series? Very good-would be looking forward to more as well as most people like to see visual descriptions as well -keep up the good work 8)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:20 am

HUI support was just an afterthought, and most people won't use it with an actual HUI, as they're not available. Remember that Auria is compatible with both HUI and MCU Pro. MCU Pro is the current Mackie product, and it widely available.

It's difficult for us to test this with every controller out there. We have to assume that manufacturers will follow the Mackie standard. That's why we chose it. We have contacted Presonus and hope that they'll get us a Faderport to test here.

Rim

69strat
Expert

Post by 69strat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 pm

amahdigital wrote:Hello There , just purchased faderport A few days ago , using with ipad 4 and belkin powerd hub -everything seems to work ... stop /start / record etc. except motorised faders -( powered up) they don't follow aurias fader movements ,anyone know if there something iam doing wrong?
Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response, been offline for a bit (doing more playing than recording lately)
So I just played around with the FaderPort and the motorized faders definitely work both ways for me. I recorded some automation through the FaderPort, played back and they did their thing. Moving auria's faders moved the faderport's and vice versa. I am running through duet and have it (duet) set to send & receive remote
Your probably already doing this but just in case, make sure to use the channel select to select the track your working with.
Anthony, I have not been able to write pan automation either.
It does work nicely with fab filter plugins though (MIDI learn is Great)
It's definitely not perfect but the features that do work make working with the ipad much easier in my opinion
Good luck!
Pete

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 pm

No problem Rim. I'm not complaining rather I love the HUI Feature and I am aware of the Mackie MCU units being available but for me a bit too expensive. The functions that are not currently working for me right now are minor. And 69strat says that his faders move with Auria's so I will have to investigate why mine won't. Really pleased with this after thought. Cheers~~_/)~~~

Just to add I believe the fader control only works with Firmware 1.2
I updated my firmware to 1.3.8
I think this might be the problem unless you updated your drivers too. But I believe you might be still running v 1.2
Cheers.

amahdigital
Expert

Post by amahdigital » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Hello 69 strat,Anthony,rim, thanks for your replys - in the meantime I will do some more investigating with the faderport and will wait for more info but Auria is so far so good - cheers!

seeker2003

Post by seeker2003 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 am

Guilleonline wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm
How about the alphatrack? Anone has any idea if it works with Auria? It looks a little bit cooler than the fader port to mebut only if it works properly :wink:
Hi guys! 1st Post :)
I'm a proud Auria Pro user. Anyone knows if it works with the Alphatrack Frontier?
Thanks in advance and keep on!