FLAC import supported? + A/B suggestion

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

FLAC import supported? + A/B suggestion

Post by deltayankee6 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:54 pm

I've searched both here on the forum and in the manual, but can't find anything about this.

Can I import FLAC audio files into a project?
I want to be able to use FLAC versions of commercially released tracks for reference monitoring, and being able to do this within Auria would be cool.
(Where can I find a list of file types that can be imported?)

For a future release, it would also be cool to have a one button A/B function.
Define a,b,c tracks as 'A', and x,y,z tracks as 'B', then a single button to switch between the two.
Would be very useful at the mastering stage, and shouldn't be too tough to code.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: FLAC import supported? + A/B suggestion

Post by Rim » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:45 pm

Currently, only WAV, AIF, MP3 and M4a files are supported. As for you suggestion, unless I'm missing something, it seems you can easily do this using subgroups. Assign all your a,b,c tracks to subgroup 1, and x,y,z tracks to subgroup 2. Then, you can easily switch between them using the sub 1 and sub 2 faders (or mute/solos).

Rim

deltayankee6
Expert

Post by deltayankee6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Same about FLAC. Will have to use wav.
Compressed files aren't so great for reference monitoring.

Subgroups for A/B'ing
Yes, obvious now you say it!

Thanks

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:40 pm

deltayankee6 wrote:Same about FLAC. Will have to use wav.
Compressed files aren't so great for reference monitoring.

Subgroups for A/B'ing
Yes, obvious now you say it!

Thanks
As I understand it, and Rim can correct me if I'm wrong, AIF and WAV files are not compressed audio but rather the same quality and format used to make PCM recorded CDs. Compressed audio is Mp3 M4a ect. If you rip an audio track from a CD in AIF or Wav the audio shouldn't loose any quality in sound or dynamic range. FLAC is a form of compression that is being offered as a CD quality uncompressed audio available on the net. Meaning once downloaded and expanded it is the same quality as the original CD as well as the physical file size. 10 mgs for every minute in stereo @ 44.1 khz 16 bit. If anyone understands this differently, please share your views but this is how I understand these file types to be. Hope this helps.
Cheers. ~~_/)~~~

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm

That's correct, Anthony.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:03 am

I don't think flac is limited to CD quality audio. It's also used with 24bit audiophile material. Flac support in Auria would be no bad thing.

http://xiph.org/flac/

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:23 am

This is true, if the source recording or master was in 24bit then the FLAC file will retain that format even after uncompression. I was just stating that WAV or AIF are not compressed audio formats and that referencing from these files is just fine and there should be no need to have it in FLAC format. There has been several threads posted on the forum regarding the advantages of 24 bit in listening. The majority conceided that the differrence from 16 to 24 bit is minimal and in some cases unnoticeable. If your reference room is really good as well as your entire audio chain being audiofile then yes you may notice a difference but for most practicle home studios this often is not the case. Good to have a good conversation about the technical aspects of recording with other artists. Thanks for your input Washboy. Cheers. ~~_/)~~~.