GTR TONE JUNKIES: JAMUP OR THM?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

trupro
Expert

GTR TONE JUNKIES: JAMUP OR THM?

Post by trupro » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Is there a clear winner with Jamup versus THM?

Not interested in the standalones with audiobus, instead my main application for these
is to hear the effected guitar signal, while still recording the raw unneffected input.
So can either of these do this without latency in Auria?

What about GUI from within Auria...is either of these a pain to use (too tiny interface, buttons in the way etc).

And which has the best/most tones?

thank you for your input on this

Jus
Expert

Re: GTR TONE JUNKIES: JAMUP OR THM?

Post by Jus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm going to reply again to this thread as I was thinking of starting a similar thread 8)

But just wanna say if you do use Jamup and Audiobus and you enable two tracks you record the effect through Jamup & a clean direct input as well (Awesome)
I've done this then used the clean recording to go out of Auria into Jamup then back into Auria so I can edit the sound as its playing 8) Mind blowing eh :lol:

dinomedanhodzic
Expert

Post by dinomedanhodzic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 pm

The thing that made me buy THM is the possibility to remove the cab-simulation. I think the cab-simulation is always lacking in these kind of plugins. In the end 70% of a quality guitar tone lies in the cab and micing.
So I just choose an amp in THM (without a cab) and then insert a convolver reverb and load my IR-cab files I made in the studio. Sounds almost as good as when I'm doing a real amp session with a client.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:32 pm

For me I have the THM IAP. & the Jamup App ( got when it were half price).

So I suppose its not really a proper review.

I'd say they are both very good

Overloud strengths. Very easy to get an half decent sound Very good clean sounds & Distorted sounds

I can't tell any latency issues at all when playing & recording through overloud

The noise gate is very impressive at cutting out them hi-gain noises you get, pickup hum etc its spot on without loosing clumps of tone
The Reverb in overloud is far supperior to me than the Jamup ones
A good all rounder natural feeling experience. (For a plug-in ).

Jamup

The basic app £13 job (which i guess is similar to the IAP Auria version) not very impressive at all. Harsh sounding not easy to get a good sound you have to spend a lot more time , I've spent another £25 on upgrades Including buying more poor reverbs which are poor

Oh brought the Bass Guitar bundle. & that is good probably the best thing about Jamup lol I'm not a bass player though so take that with a pinch of salt :lol:

The Eq pedal in Jamup is handy and helps a lot
I do notice some latency with this app though Auria / Audiobus playing & recording , still very playable though.
I know you are not interested in the app versions but just saying

It's good if you start adding a bit of PianoVerb/ oldtimer or classicverb pro in the effects insert and spend a bit of time getting a good sound , it's starts to get very good then
But I I'm pretty sure I'd choose THM over Jamup given the choice 8)

But I guess It's a personal thing 8)

supanorton
Expert

Post by supanorton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't have JamUp in Auria but own the app and have used it through AudioBus. I also own THM in Auria. Overall, I think THM is warmer sounding than JamUp. To my ear, the biggest difference between the apps' sound is in the clean to lower gain tones. I like THM better. For ease of use, JamUp is much more intuitive. I don't like THM's tiny knobs and screen layout. Having said that, I've made a decision to use THM instead of AudioBussing JamUp. +1 about THM's reverbs and delays. Hope this helps.

*edit- I also find that I can get tighter, less boomy bass guitar sounds with THM, but lots of bass players seem to like JamUp's bass package (not available inside Auria anyway).

For reference, these are the guitars I'm using: '90s MIM Fender P bass, '79 Strat, '69 Tele, '59 Gretsch Clipper, and a '12 LP Custom

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Wow people, these are great reviews and comparisons of these apps, i really appreciate it!

Sounds like they have very different strengths, i mite need both. Thats actually a very useful feature with Jamup standalone, to be able to record clean and effected simulataniously thru audiobus. Not sure my iPad 2 could handle it without latency but sounds like within Auria, the interface us more userfrienly than THM. Although it lacks bass amps thats not critical for me, and u guess i am attracted to the 'rack effects' it has, to get some more way-out sounds.

Thanks again all!

meltdown

Post by meltdown » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Ampkit soon will kill them both. The next update will give us audiobus and stereo effects like in chorus/flanger delays and reverbs in stereo.
I'll wait for that.

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 am

JamUp :D

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 am

meltdown wrote:Ampkit soon will kill them both. The next update will give us audiobus and stereo effects like in chorus/flanger delays and reverbs in stereo.
I'll wait for that.
wait so niether Jamup nor OverloudTHM have any stereo effects? I find that odd given they can be opened as aux buses in Auria.

Also, i have been reading reviews and people say THM kills Ampkit. But that's just opinion of course. Could you tell me what comes standard in ampkit, and does it have microphone placement emulation? And do you use this as a plug from inside auria or you mean you use it standalone?

Thanks!

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm

I personally wasn't very impressed with Ampkit at all :(

But Each to our own I guess 8)

meltdown

Post by meltdown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm

All the amp sims available on the iPad have mono effects. Ampkit Will be the first to have real stereo effects.
Why not download the free Ampkit to look for yourself what is in it. I have the paid Ampkit+ version and all the in-app purchased amps and effects.
I'm a proffesional guitar player and have tested all the sims available on the iPad. Ampkit suits my needs the best.

meltdown

Post by meltdown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

@jus,

Don't judge the app on the provided presets which are horrible on all the apps.
Forget them altogether.
You have to tweak your own for best results.

Tip:
Also place all the time based fx like delays, chorus and reverbs after the amp and not before.
This will sound so much better than the provided presets which have these fx placed before the amp which sound horrible.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:37 pm

Ok
Yeah will give it another try see how I get on 8)

Is Ampkit getting upgraded for Audiobus in the future do you know

meltdown

Post by meltdown » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

According to the developers the next update will have audio bus. The stereo fx will also be either on the next or the following update.
They showed all this on Namm show.
Last edited by meltdown on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jus
Expert

Post by Jus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Ok

Cool :D