Arm/monitor question

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

epjl2000

Arm/monitor question

Post by epjl2000 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:04 am

Hi guys,

When I've armed a track for recording, I can hear the live monitor input as I record. However, upon playback, in order to hear what I just recorded I have to disarm that track. Is there a way to listen to the playback whilst keeping the live monitor still on?

Cheers,

Justin

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Arm/monitor question

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 pm

That's not currently possible, but it's something we're considering adding to a future update.

Thanks,
Rim

epjl2000

Post by epjl2000 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, please do add this function! Cheers.

Guilleonline
Expert

Post by Guilleonline » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Yeah a little annoying actually but I sort of find a way around it! If you set an auto punch region then you'll be able to hear the track until the auto punch position has been reached even while the track is armed, so it helps to monitor what has been previously recorded underneath until that point in time :mrgreen: very helpful when patching a vocal line.

BUT it would be nice to see it improved in a future update so that the whole punch in step wouldn't be ncessary.

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:01 pm

+1

Would love to see this feature, it will make our recording workflow and sessions smoother.

Right now, after we record a take, we like to rewind, listen to it, see if we want to keep it or record another take. So that means we have to un-arm each track before hitting play. Then if we want to retake it, we undo record, but then have to rearm each track again.

Not a huge issue, but a nice little improvement if you can add it.

Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:06 pm

This is an old thread from 2012. This feature was added several years ago, and still works today.

Rim

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:47 pm

I should add that I have Record Monitoring in Auria turned off, because we have direct monitoring through the audio interface. So maybe that is the difference. I will try it again but it seems we have to disarm the tracks before playback to hear them.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Right, in order for this to work, you need auto record monitor enabled in the settings.

Rim

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:03 am

Is this still supposed to be working? I just tested again, and with both Auto Import Monitor = On and Record Monitor = On, I still have to unarm recording on the track I just recorded in order to hear it on playback. Usually I keep Record Monitor = Off because we have direct monitoring through my interface, but I tested this both ways

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, this still works correctly in the latest Auria. Keep in mind that if you don't have a USB audio interface connected (using the built-in iPad mic), you need to have headphones on in order to hear anything while a track is record enabled. This is to avoid feedback from the mic.

Rim

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Ok - thanks for the quick response. Your assistance is one of the (many) great things about using Auria.

Thanks for pointing out the distinction of of using the speaker vs USB interface. I retested with the USB interface and see that it works as you describe.

The difference I have is that we use direct monitoring on our USB interface (which is better for a lot of reasons, including latency, the ability to play while not recording, etc), so we have the Record Monitor = Off while tracking. I guess I just need to switch the Record Monitor setting when doing playback and back when tracking. That is easier than unarming all tracks.

But is there any way that you could make Auria also playback the armed tracks when Record Monitor is off? It is playing back the unarmed tracks, just not the armed tracks. That would save some clicks and speed up the sessions.

thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:45 pm

That sounds doable. I'll add it to my list to investigate for a future update, and see how difficult it would be to change.

Rim

leem
Expert

Post by leem » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:17 am

Hi,
Just checking back on this, to see if there are any updates, or other workarounds to avoid having to go and turn off Record Monitoring when we want to listen to a take