Linking two Presonus 1818vsl's...

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Mr.Chisels

Linking two Presonus 1818vsl's...

Post by Mr.Chisels » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi there,

First time poster...

I bought Auria a couple of weeks ago and I really love the App! :D
I also bought the PreSonus 181vsl as my audio interface because it seemed to get the best bang for the buck.

My question is that on the main sales page for Auria, they claim I can get 18 tracks simultaneously. From everything I've been reading I can't link two 1818vsl's together, can someone please explain the required process (How was this done in testing to support this claim)?
I'd be happy to get 16 simultaneous tracks (I understand that through the S/PDIF connection, I can add 2 more channels, bringing the total up to 18 ).
I really want to know how to get the two units to work together bofore buying the second PreSonus Unit...

Also when I get them working together, how is that reflected on the input matrix?
Is the first unit 1 thru 8 considered the master and the second 9 thru 16 considered the slave unit?

Thanks!
Mario
Yamaha Motif XS8, Motif XS6, Moog Taurus 3, Roland JX-8P, M-Audio Venom.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Hagstrom Viking King Deluxe, Gretsch G5700 Lap-Steel.

steviee8
Expert

Re: Linking two Presonus 1818vsl's...

Post by steviee8 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:42 pm

I'm sure we will have more replies to this, but while I'm here let me say that the 1818VSL has 18ins and 18outs
8 mic preamps, 8 ADAT ins and 2 SPDIF. If you had another device that say has an ADAT out, maybe a unit that has 8 preamps Ins then you can put them into the ADAT In of the 1818VSL.
I've not tried this but I believe Presonus had some old products that would have 8 preamp ins and ADAT out. NOt too sure what model# they were, maybe more will comment.
You would need to use a BNC cable (word clock) to sync them of course. And again not sure how to acces the second unit sync menu unless it was plugged into a computer.

Now if you want to you can buy 2 1818VSLs and another iPad and sync them together via bluetooth. If all you don't own anything ADAT or SPDIF this would give you 16 mic pre's.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:47 pm

The 1818 only takes and input from another device. You cannot chain two 1818s together. Buy another adat out mic pre. Presonus does make a adat mic pre. The behringer one works great. That is what AURIA developers used when they recorded the band in the demo. I have a fostex vm88 mixer that I have been using. It works great and I can use the outputs for direct monitoring. Works awesome. That's my favorite setup. The mixer has lots of advantages.

Mr.Chisels

Post by Mr.Chisels » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks Steviee8 and Foster for the replies...

I guess I was hoping that I could chain two 1818's together...oh well, maybe in the next model upgrade...

Foster, what Behringer model are you talking about. A buddy of mine owns a music store and sells the Behringer line. so i might check that unit out...I'm also going to look at the Fostex you're using...

So, now I understand that only through ADAT can I get the extra inouts i need.
How does it work in the input matrix on Auria, are the ADAT inputs assignable like everything else?

Thanks again
Mario

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:49 pm

The inputs show up just like the first 8 channels. If you plug in the additional 8 inputs AURIA sees 16 inputs active.

The current behringer is the ada8000. They can be bought well under $200. I might just buy one right now for myself.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Here is my question for RIM. I am sure it has been answered before. If I buy 2 behringer ada8000's and link them to the 1818vsl do I get 24 tracks? Can AURIA do 24 simultaneous? Someone has a video on YouTube of an interface showing all 24 active. But that interface is a joke to use with AURIA. It's $3000 and has no actual inputs. You need to also buy mic pres for it.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:18 pm

The 1818 only supports 18 inputs total: 8 XLRs with preamps onboard, 8 inputs through the ADAT interface, and 2 inputs (stereo) through the SP/DIF interface.

Rim

Mr.Chisels

Post by Mr.Chisels » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Foster, for the 24 inputs, were you talking about the X32 by Behringer?
The website claims 24 simultaneous input with this unit
Have you heard anything about it?

Btw, thanks for the info on the other Behringer unit, I'll look into it tomorrow...

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm

No it was not the behringer. It was an Orion 32. His title as recording 24 tracks. But he is not recording anything because he has no inputs plugged in.

Mr.Chisels

Post by Mr.Chisels » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 am

Foster,
Just took a look at the Orion 32, you're right, I can't see how that would work either...the back seems to have serial ports and no standard XLR's...

I also looked at the Behringer ADA8000 and that is exactly what I'm looking for.
I wanted a set-up that I could carry around in a 4 space rack unit...
this certainly solves my problem, I'm ordering it this morning...

As for 24 inputs, as far as I can tell, the Behringer X32 seems to be the only choice out there right now but that is over 3 grand...

The PreSonus 1818VSL & the Behringer ADA8000 seems to be the combo that makes the most sense and the best bang for the buck, 18 inputs for under $700.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate the discussion and everyone's input in finding the right solution...

Best Regard's and Happy Holiday's!

steviee8
Expert

Post by steviee8 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:29 am

well, dang I may buy one of those Behringer ADA8000s now. :)

Mr.Chisels

Post by Mr.Chisels » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 am

Ok so, far be it for me to sit around once a solution has been found...
I've been poking around on the Behringer website and there is a line Mixers called the Xenyx line and they are audio interfaces with USB outs?
Has anyone tried or heard of anyone trying these mixers?
They have them up to 24 inputs! (XENYX X2442USB ) (24-Input 4/2-Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamps & Compressors, British EQs, 24-Bit Multi-FX Processor and USB/Audio Interface)
My local music store is selling it for under $400...
Anyone heard anything about this?

Update...
Upon closer inspection, it seems to be more of a 16 input unit...
They claim 24 inputs but you would be using some RCA and other Aux type inputs...
Still though, it could be interesting if the USB was able to interface and you could get 16 solid inputs?...I can't see why not?

Last update....promise!
Poked around some more for reviews on YouTube/Web and I think I'll stay with my original opinion of the PreSonus/Behringer combo...period...
I Just need a good interface, I don't neccesarily need a mixer with more stuff to alter the incoming signal.
I want a clean incoming signal into Auria so I can play with it in that environment and this combo best suits that goal.
If anything, I would add the rack mountable single space 4 DI unit my Behringer (PRO DI4000)...

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 pm

The behringer mixers will only give you 2 channels of output. They do not do multitracking.

Mr.Chisels

Post by Mr.Chisels » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 am

Thanks Foster,

...Makes sense!
I ordered the ADA8000 and should get it tomorrow.
I'll get it all together over the weekend and give an update on how it all works together...
Regards,
Mario