Presonus 1818VSL and headphone-mix [SOLVED]

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Knottolf

Presonus 1818VSL and headphone-mix [SOLVED]

Post by Knottolf » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Hello

I am new to this forum, to Auria and 1818VSL.

I have just installed Auria v 1.04, and I have one question:

How do I set up a headphonemix so that I can plug in my headphones in the 1818VSL?

Regards,
Knut Erling Johnsen
Last edited by Knottolf on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavePDX
Expert

Re: Presonus 1818VSL and headphone-mix

Post by DavePDX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 pm

Are you running iOS 6.x? My experience with the 1818, was that the headphone jack didn't function under iOS 5.x but as soon as I updated the firmware, it just worked. As I understand it, that's because previously IOS couldn't route the audio out to any channels except 1 & 2, and the 1818 uses 7 & 8 for the headphone jack.

Knottolf

Post by Knottolf » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 pm

DavePDX wrote:Are you running iOS 6.x? My experience with the 1818, was that the headphone jack didn't function under iOS 5.x but as soon as I updated the firmware, it just worked. As I understand it, that's because previously IOS couldn't route the audio out to any channels except 1 & 2, and the 1818 uses 7 & 8 for the headphone jack.
I am running IOS6 on the 4th generation iPad.
How do I know which firmware-version I have? SOLVED
Where do I find the latest firmware? SOLVED
How do I install new firmware? SOLVED

But I still have no sound in my headphone.
I am running Auria v 1.04

Sorry for all these questions...

Regards,
Knut Erling

DavePDX
Expert

Post by DavePDX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 pm

If you are running an iPad 4, then you have the latest firmware already, which is 6.0.1. When you connect to iTunes, it displays the firmware version in the Summary tab, and also allows you to Check for Update. You can also use the Settings app on the iPad itself to check the version by going to General->About.

However, since you already have the latest firmware, that's not your issue. I am on the road, far away from my 1818VSL, so I can't check, but as far as I remember, as soon as I updated to OS6.0.1, the headphone jack just started working for me without any intervention. Perhaps I had done something in AudioBox VSL previously that had an effect, Sorry I don't remember.

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:01 pm

Knottolf wrote:
DavePDX wrote:Are you running iOS 6.x? My experience with the 1818, was that the headphone jack didn't function under iOS 5.x but as soon as I updated the firmware, it just worked. As I understand it, that's because previously IOS couldn't route the audio out to any channels except 1 & 2, and the 1818 uses 7 & 8 for the headphone jack.

Regards,
Knut Erling
Hello Knut...i do not have iPad 4 or iOS 6, but i do know that with my iPad 2 and 1818vsl,
i have to make sure the iPad volume is also turned up.

This is because when connected to some usb audio device, including the 1818vsl, it acts
as like a 4-stage volume controller for the interface itself. So make sure the ipad audio hardware control button on the iPad chassis itself is actually turned up, either all the way, or if u get distortion, at least 3/4 of the way.

Also make sure you have gone into the Matrix in auria and made sure the i/o is normalled for Auria. For example, if u load auria first, you will notice that it defaults to an iPad only stereo routing scheme, like its default settings, and may not be routed properly when you fire up an external interface. Thusly, just like your PC or Mac, its best to have the external interface on and connected before you even turn the host machine on.

basic stuff, and you've probably done all this, but maybe im helping.
That or i drank alot of coffee so i just type too much lol :P

Knottolf

Post by Knottolf » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:09 pm

trupro wrote:
Knottolf wrote:

Regards,
Knut Erling
Hello Knut...i do not have iPad 4 or iOS 6, but i do know that with my iPad 2 and 1818vsl,
i have to make sure the iPad volume is also turned up.

This is because when connected to some usb audio device, including the 1818vsl, it acts
as like a 4-stage volume controller for the interface itself. So make sure the ipad audio hardware control button on the iPad chassis itself is actually turned up, either all the way, or if u get distortion, at least 3/4 of the way.

Also make sure you have gone into the Matrix in auria and made sure the i/o is normalled for Auria. For example, if u load auria first, you will notice that it defaults to an iPad only stereo routing scheme, like its default settings, and may not be routed properly when you fire up an external interface. Thusly, just like your PC or Mac, its best to have the external interface on and connected before you even turn the host machine on.

basic stuff, and you've probably done all this, but maybe im helping.
That or i drank alot of coffee so i just type too much lol :P
Thank You very much.
You made my day. Now everything is working.

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Oh, sweet!

Yeah i went through this same thing, and RIM and the gang helped me with this as well!

Much oblidged if you post your do's and dont's when you come upon issues and cool features,
we can surely benefit from this!

cheers

S.