AAF import problem

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

dougdi

AAF import problem

Post by dougdi » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi,
I have a problem AAF export I'd like you to check out. It seems the edits are in the correct places but the audio is offset. And instead of starting at 01:16:00:00 audio is beginning at 01:09:53:20. It's zipped up in my Dropbox.

Navpack
Expert

Re: AAF import problem

Post by Navpack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Rim. Grabbed the update - thanks very much for that

Testing a few AAF files myself. Took the same project and created two versions; native .aif and converted .wav project. 48k in both cases, all files.

.wav version imports correctly at 48k with timing correct. .aif version comes in at 44.1k. You had mentioned in an earlier thread that perhaps .aif had as its first file something at 44.1 which would throw the project sample rate...that doesn't seem to be the case here as I have confirmed all .aif at 48k. Anything else I can check? Or would I be better off staying with .wav?

Will also check export using Automatic Duck with Final Cut and see how that goes.

Regards,

Phil

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Doug,
Try downloading the latest Auria update, 1.02. This should fix the aaf offset issues.

Navpack,
Thanks. It's possible that there's an issue with detecting the sample rate when using aiff files. I'll make a note to look into that.

Rim

Navpack
Expert

Post by Navpack » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:15 pm

As a follow up - exported AAF projects from Final Cut Pro via Automatic Duck continue to crash Auria. Will test more tomorrow.

Regards,
Phil

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks, I haven't looked at that issue yet. It might be something specific related to those programs. I'll address that in the next update for sure.

Rim

tea

Post by tea » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:39 am

Hi please help I can't get Auria to load AAF files after update. I am using Pro Tools 10 HD I'm doing it though iTunes and it comes up in Auria ok but when i go to import it into a session Auria only sees the AAF file but no audio files ? But if I go to just import audio from menu I than see all the audio ? I have tried a few session and keep getting the same results the AAF is there but it dose not see the audio although it is there please can someone help thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:11 am

There's shouldn't be any change in the way AAF files are loaded from the first version to the new one... Are you getting a message that it can't locate the files? When importing an AAF file, you just need to make sure the audio files are in the same folder as the aaf file. Or, you can put them all in the root folder of Auria. Either way, as long as they are in the same folder, you shouldn't have a problem.

Rim

tea

Post by tea » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 am

Rim wrote:There's shouldn't be any change in the way AAF files are loaded from the first version to the new one... Are you getting a message that it can't locate the files? When importing an AAF file, you just need to make sure the audio files are in the same folder as the aaf file. Or, you can put them all in the root folder of Auria. Either way, as long as they are in the same folder, you shouldn't have a problem.

Rim
Thanks very much for your reply and am with you on that , but am afraid it's just not happening what am geting here is Auria sees the AAF file it imports it but no audio I have tried so many times today 1out of 10 worked and I can't see way it dose not do it but I know the audio is there because if I go to inport audio I can see it all the AAF files just sitting there. So please am I missing something here

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi,

You said:
if I go to inport audio I can see it all the AAF files just sitting there. So please am I missing something here

You shouldn't see any AAF files when you go to the import audio screen. Maybe there's a simple misunderstanding here. An AAF file doesn't have any audio in it. AAF files are small files that just contain instructions to the DAW for where to put the audio (and things like automation and fades). The actual audio needs to be sitting in the same folder as the AAF file.

So, for example, you might have a folder called My Song and inside you might have this:

My Song
song.AAF
audio1.WAV
audio2.WAV
audio3.WAV

When you load an AAF file in Auria, it will look for the audio files that are referenced in the AAF file. Is this what you're doing?

Thanks,
Rim

tea

Post by tea » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:39 pm

Rim wrote:Hi,

You said:
if I go to inport audio I can see it all the AAF files just sitting there. So please am I missing something here

You shouldn't see any AAF files when you go to the import audio screen. Maybe there's a simple misunderstanding here. An AAF file doesn't have any audio in it. AAF files are small files that just contain instructions to the DAW for where to put the audio (and things like automation and fades). The actual audio needs to be sitting in the same folder as the AAF file.

So, for example, you might have a folder called My Song and inside you might have this:

My Song
song.AAF
audio1.WAV
audio2.WAV
audio3.WAV

When you load an AAF file in Auria, it will look for the audio files that are referenced in the AAF file. Is this what you're doing?

Thanks,
Rim
HI. Rim, and once again thanks for reply. Ok i understand a lot better now (i think ) because yes i Zip my AAF folder up with all files in it than drop it in Auria through iTunes than from Auria I try to import it as a new project, but all you see is just the AAF when importing no other files so, some thing happens when it's been unzipped and placing the files because Auria dose not seem to find them how can i move them so it can please once again thank you for your help as this is a great innovation in audio sotfware
glad to be a part of it :-)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:29 pm

No problem. If you have a folder on you Mac or Pc which contains the AAF file and all the audio files, you can zip this folder, then copy the zip file to Auria's main folder. As soon as you're done copying it, you'll see a message in Auria that says "Uncompressing Files...". After this message goes away, you should be able to go to the "Import AAF File" option in the Menu, and find the aaf file you copied inside that folder.

When zipping the folder on your Mac/PC, it's very important that it doesn't have any other folders inside. All the audio files need to be inside this folder, next to the AAF file.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:39 am

i tried to import a logic (8) project the first time and auria splitted all stereo files into two mono files.is there a way to avoid this?does it make a difference if i would use wav instead of aif?
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:51 am

It's not Auria that did the splitting, but Logic. I can't remember if there's a setting for this in Logic 8's AAF export settings, but many DAWs have settings for whether to split stereo files into two mono files. This is done because not all DAWs accept stereo files in an AAF. Auria will work with either stereo or mono files, by the way.

Rim

CEIsar
Expert

Post by CEIsar » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 am

Rim wrote:It's not Auria that did the splitting, but Logic. I can't remember if there's a setting for this in Logic 8's AAF export settings, but many DAWs have settings for whether to split stereo files into two mono files. This is done because not all DAWs accept stereo files in an AAF. Auria will work with either stereo or mono files, by the way.

Rim

Too bad,i can't find any setting for that in Logic 8.But to render all the tracks seperately (with one mouseclick)works good enough for me.
iPad Air 2 - WiFI - 128GB - iOS 9.1 - Auria Pro 2.01 - Roland Duo Capture EX