INDIE ROCK FROM SWEDEN

For Auria users to share their creativity!

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

ArmArnA
Expert

INDIE ROCK FROM SWEDEN

Post by ArmArnA » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:49 am

Hi, all Auria friends!

Just uploaded two new songs on my Soundcloud page. Both songs are recorded, mixed and mastered in Auria (as are all the songs on this page). Other apps used where Drum/percussion Loops HD and DM1 for drum parts. I'm quite new to the recording side of music and I'm glad for any comments and tips making me move forward in the world of Auria

https://soundcloud.com/armarna/golden

https://soundcloud.com/armarna/night-crawler

Hope you dig : )

//ArmArnA
"Jazz is not dead it just smells funny"

Bob Amser
Expert

Re: INDIE ROCK FROM SWEDEN

Post by Bob Amser » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Really enjoyed that - my kind of music.

Favourite bits:

Top of the list is the post-chorus guitar part. Don't tinker with that at all. Really good solid counter-melody nicely mixed. Works well. I would be tempted to open with that it's so good, but that's maybe just me.

I also like the play-out a lot, and nice use of backing Vox throughout. Distinctive vocals and nice tint of humour to the whole thing.

My thoughts (and only my opinion) about possible tweaks:

I think the main vocal comes over too 'heavy' throughout. It may be as simple as dialling it down in the mix.

As a drummer, I would have preferred a more 'live' feel to the drums, but that could be just because I don't want to end up obsolete :lol:

I like the effect on the vocal in the verse - you could possibly be even more heavy handed with that effect.

Also, I would increase the level of the backing vocals in the chorus but, again, maybe just my personal taste.

Thanks for posting - I enjoyed the listen.

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:55 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input.

I agree with everything you say. How I would love an app that really sounds like real fleshy drums. Drum Loops HD are based on loops and you can't really change or pan anything within the loop. Guess we just have to wait for someone like Easy drummer to develop an app.

And the vocals, as everyone surely knows, are the most difficult part to fit naturaly into a mix.

If you have any tips or trix I'm forever greatfull :D

Regarding levels I just use headphones for recording, mixing etc. so it's hard to really grasp the "true sound". A pair of monitors would be nice, but to get convincing monitors you have to put some real money on the table ... nine month to christmas and counting... :D

/ArmArnA

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 am

I can't really say about Drum apps as I have the benefit of being a drummer! I'm going outside the iPad to BFD eco drummer - amazing sounds - and triggering it from my electric kit.

The best looking app to me is probably DrumJam, but Ive not tried it.

I was lucky enough to win some amazing monitors in the Auria video competition, and it does make a difference. Save those pennies! A good (but time consuming) way to check the mix is to hear it on lots of different bits of equipment - burn a cd and play it in the car, on your mate's stereo etc.

Please don't take the comments as a criticism, it's only my views. I only comment on stuff Ive enjoyed :)

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 am

Hi Bob,

I take your words as constructive criticism and I appreciates your input very much :D

Rock on!

/ArmArnA

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:39 am

@ArmArnA: I don't feel qualified to critique your 'mix' but it all sounds good to me. However, I'd like to say how much I enjoyed listening to those two tracks - repeatedly! I love the chord structure of "Golden" and it has a great instrumental hook (i.e. the chromatic ascending guitar run). "Night Crawler" has a wonderfully hypnotic quality, both in the guitars and the vocals. You have an interesting voice and your vocal 'treatment' is quirky and really works well. I'm envious of your talents in songwriting, performance and production. Well done! I look forward to more :D

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:32 am

Thank you, Washboy!

I'm essentially a guitar player and I only sing on these tunes because I like the idea of just ONE person doing everything on just ONE little gadget (the Ipad). Therefore I'm realy flattered at your comment regarding my voice and it gives me currage to continue to "tra la la" on my tunes :D

How about you, do you have any songs on Soundcloud?

/ArmArnA

PS. If you are intrested there's two more tracks on my Soundcloud page made on an Ipad. DS

https://soundcloud.com/armarna

drock
Expert

Post by drock » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Hey, this is really cool stuff! I enjoyed it. I'm curious what else you'll produce.

ArmArnA
Expert

Post by ArmArnA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 am

Thanks, drock!

Most of my "pop-like" songs end up on my Soundcloud page and they're all songs done in Auria.

Sometime this week I will add a new (wrote it years ago, but recorded it this summer) instrumental song with kind of a Zeppelin vibe called Arabian E.

Thanks again for the nice feedback!

/ArmArnA