Presonus 1818VSL: Field Test and Pros & Cons

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Presonus 1818VSL: Field Test and Pros & Cons

Post by Rim » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:43 pm

In all our testing, we were using powered USB hubs. Some users reported that unpowered hubs worked, but I would be cautious about using them.

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 am

Rim where is the 1818vsl update you told us about so that we don't need the hub? Can you try to give us an update? Have you heard anything from presonus?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:10 am

Guys, I wish I knew, but I really have no idea. This has nothing to do with Auria, but with iPad's in general. I brought the bug up to presonus and they promised an update. At some point I hope they release it, but it's completely out of my hands.

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 am

When was the last time you spoke to them? Are they still working on it?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 am

I've emailed them about this many times (the last one two weeks ago), and the reply has always been the same - that they are working on other things for the update, and will release it when everything is finished.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 am

Presonus are useless with software updates. I fell out with their mods on the Studio One forum because I criticised their poor response to countless user complaints about serious performance and reliability problems. Don't hold Rim to account for their failings.

Dominic

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 am

I am not holding rim responsible at all for presonus. I was just asking if they had any more info. It's a lot easier for them to get the update than it is for a regular customer. I think presonus owes aurias developers a big THANK YOU. Presonus is selling 1818vsl more now because of the AURIA app. And now with the new routing features they are an almost perfect combo. I would like to see a couple of fixes to make them a better match. Like not having to use a hub, which is a presonus issue. The only other type of interface that would be any better for myself would be one that is self powered or ipad powered (and no hub of course) with the same features of the presonus. How awesome would that be? The other fix I would like is making the auxs pre/post fader selectable. Adding them in was a great idea. Why not make the most out of them? Pre fader is very important for monitor signals.

As of now I do find presonus 1818/AURIA app to be a great combo. Will be better when presonus gets the fix in for the hub.

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

There aren't many things which will work without a hub, purely because the 'standard' USB spec is 500mA and the iPad will only provide 20mA. That's an Apple iOS limitation. So you're left with only a few interfaces that work without one, and all sorts of restrictions - low headphone output, no phantom power etc etc.

Dominic

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:47 pm

That applies to bus-powered devices (interfaces without their own power supply). The 1818 is a powered device (has it's own power supply), so it "shouldn't" need a hub in theory, but because of a bug that many interface manufacturers have in their USB descriptors, they need a powered USB hub when using it with an iPad.

Rim

dominicperry
Expert

Post by dominicperry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:17 pm

I misunderstood.

As a side note, the RME Babyface needs external power because using USB power doesn't help with spikes on the USB bus when Phantom power is turned on and off.

Bring back Firewire.

Dominic

trupro
Expert

Post by trupro » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm

hmmmm...this is very interesting, thank you!

I mite well want to get a powered USB hub now. I dunno maybe it passes signal better?

Am not educated about such things, maybe other folks know if the above is related to
performance?

Mr.Chisels

Post by Mr.Chisels » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Hey All,

I should have looked here prior to posting my question earlier...
....first time poster, Love the App and I went with the 181 as the unput of choice, so far no regrets...

Before going out to buy the second one, I wanted to be sure I can get at least 16 simultaneous inputs out of the combo.
Rim (or anyone else that tested 18 inputs), did you use two 1818'? If so, how were they connected (through the ADAT)?
I just want to be clear on the interface coonection method before buying the second unit...

At his point, I think I'll be upgrading to the iPad 4 as well.

Thanks all!! :D
Mario
Yamaha Motif XS8, Motif XS6, Moog Taurus 3, Roland JX-8P, M-Audio Venom.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Hagstrom Viking King Deluxe, Gretsch G5700 Lap-Steel.

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:45 pm

The 1818 only takes and input from another device. You cannot chain two 1818s together. Buy another adat out mic pre. Presonus does make a adat mic pre. The behringer one works great. That is what AURIA developers used when they recorded the band in the demo. I have a fostex vm88 mixer that I have been using. It works great and I can use the outputs for direct monitoring. Works awesome. That's my favorite setup. The mixer has lots of advantages.