The Working / Not working audio interfaces thread

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Scarlett 2i2

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 am

Yes, we've tested that interface and it works fine with Auria.

Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Scarlett_I8i6 digital input sync?

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 am

It's probably just a standard answer, as they don't want to support a platform they're not familiar with (understandably). The firmware is most definitely already in their in the pipeline. They have assured me of that. We already have it. We tested it for them during our beta, and it works great, no hub required. They wouldn't give me any specifics on the release date, but I'm guessing it'll be out once they add a few more unrelated fixes to it.

Same thing for presonus.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am

As far as digital sync, our test have shown that any changes you make while in the MixControl software (while on your mac/PC) do remain with the device, even after it's unplugged, and plugged into the iPad, so it's very possible you could make your changes while on the Mac, then connect it to the ipad to use your digital sync. I suppose it's a matter of experimentation to see what can be done.

Rim

dream

Post by dream » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 am

Rim wrote:As far as digital sync, our test have shown that any changes you make while in the MixControl software (while on your mac/PC) do remain with the device, even after it's unplugged, and plugged into the iPad, so it's very possible you could make your changes while on the Mac, then connect it to the ipad to use your digital sync. I suppose it's a matter of experimentation to see what can be done.

Rim
Ok, thank you for the answers. But with 'unplugged' you mean just the USB not the power, right!? If I have to schlepp around a notebook to change the digital sync after powering down the Scarlett it would counteract the idea of having a lightweight high quality recording setup with an iPad. Or does it remember the clock setting even after unplugging it from the power source?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:10 pm

From our tests, the Scarlett remembered it's settings permanently, so no need for a laptop.

Rim

RickPlaysWarr

Post by RickPlaysWarr » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi

Does the 2i2 require a USB hub. I looked at the photos and it has no external power connector. I am looking for a small solution where I only have to take a minimum amount of gear and still get multi-channel connectivity (at least 2 channel).

--Rick--

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Yes, there are no USB interfaces without a power jack that don't need a hub in our testing. The iPad won't supply more than 50mA of power to a USB device, and all the ones we tested use more power, so you need a hub. Interfaces like Apogee Mic and Apogee Jam are exceptions, but these don't have mic inputs.

If someone has found one that works without a hub, please post info about it.

Thanks,
Rim

Foster
Expert

Questiions before I buy, specific to presonus

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm

I think I read somewhere here that presonus is working on a fix so that I wouldn't need a powered USB hub to use the vsl1818. Is this true? It would really help me make my decision on buying this app because I really want at least 8 xlr ins. And I really don't want to haul around extra stuff like the powered hub.

When you did your testing with the presonus did you just use the 8 channels of the 1818 for 8 tracks simultaneos or did you add an extra piece to the 1818 to get 16 tracks simultaneous? I think they use a spdif, lightpipe, or adat piece. Not sure what it's called. It gives the vsl1818 16 xlr inputs and all can be recorded with a computer and the capture software or a daw.

When I get the 1818 it comes with their studio one software. Can I transfer my tracks to studio one? I know that you can transfer to protools using an aaf transfer, but can presonus studio one do the same thing?

These questions are important to me and I appreciate your help.

I bought my iPad for 2 reasons: 1) to use with auria & 2) to use with the mackie dl1608

pviney

Tascam US-200

Post by pviney » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:24 pm

Anyone tried the Tascam US-200 with a hub? I use one now for Cubase and would buy a hub if it is confirmed.

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Questiions before I buy, specific to presonus

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Presonus assured me they already fixed the issue, and it's going to appear in a future firmware update. I don't know when, though. I would guess it won't be too long.

Yes, we connected the 1818vsl to an ADAT-compatible preamp, and recorded 16 tracks at once (all XLR).
You should be able to move tracks back and forth between Auria and StudioOne 2 with no problems.

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Should be able to? Sounds like your not sure. I don't have protools and getting the files into my studios daw is very important to me to finish off recordings.

I actually have another question I forgot.

When everything is hooked up how do you monitor? And when you are monitoring what kind of latency is there? Too much latency makes it hard to record. Especially vocals.

I am a singer and I like to get all my music tracks laid down with a scratch vocal then go back in and add main vocal lines. And after do the harmonies. Again here latency could be a big issue here. How bad is it really?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Moving audio back and forth between Auria and Studio one is easy. it can be done using Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing. However, Studio One does not support AAF (yet at least), so you can't do things like move your edits and faded across. Only the audio files themselves. I've never actually done that with Studio One, but every DAW supports exporting audio files, so you should no issue with that.

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:14 pm

I don't care about moving edits or anything else just audio. But will it still remember where I recorded the waves? Example: I start a song with guitar and drums but the vocals don't come in till 30 seconds later and that's when I start the recording for them. If I transfer waves and put them into studio one am I going to have to move them all into the correct time possitions? Re-lining up all the tracks could be real hard to do.

What about the monitoring and latency questions?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:18 pm

To overcome the track positioning issues, just do a mixdown or bounce out of StudioOne, and start the bounce at 0, so all the exported tracks start at the same time. Or, you could also start your recordings at 0 all the time, too. Either method works.

Monitoring in Auria is easy. You just enable Record Monitor in the setting page, and you hear what you're recording in the headphones. The latency can go as low as 128 samples on an iPad, which is perfectly fine for tracking.

Rim

Foster
Expert

Post by Foster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Bounce out of studio one? Not out of auria? I want to go from auria to studio one. Not studio one to auria.