Launch control xl hui not working

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

c0wfunk
Expert

Launch control xl hui not working

Post by c0wfunk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:29 am

I received a launch control xl for Christmas and am trying to get it working with Auria Pro. The lcxl supports hui, I have set the midi settings: remote protocol mackie hui, and under the core midi in/out the lcxl appears and I have set it to send / receive remote. I have gone through all 8 of the factory templates in the lcxl and have set it to low power mode as required to use with iPad. But I have seen nothing change when I move sliders or pans or anything. Is there something I am missing here? Any help is much appreciated thanks

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Launch control xl hui not working

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:23 pm

You need software update ver. 1.2 in order for HUI to work and it's downloadable from the Novation website and choose Launchpad XL. The 8 templates are sending midi cc and system exclusive messages only not HUI. Cheers.

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have done the firmware update to 1.2... One thing I am finding is that Auria does not show the Launch Control XL HUI ports as an option. Do you know for a fact that this should work? I do not see any posts where people have tried it, I see your thread where they talk about using a Launch Key but nothing about the Launch Control XL.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:49 pm

c0wfunk wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have done the firmware update to 1.2... One thing I am finding is that Auria does not show the Launch Control XL HUI ports as an option. Do you know for a fact that this should work? I do not see any posts where people have tried it, I see your thread where they talk about using a Launch Key but nothing about the Launch Control XL.
I have ordered the LaunchPad xl to test for you. It should arrive early this week. I will post my findings. No HUI ports are available for any controller in Auria just the remote option and the port for HUI is set under Remote Protocol which I think you have already set properly. That is all you can do but there may be a way to set LPxl to enter ProTools mode which will give you HUI. I will get back to you on this soon. Cheers.

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:05 pm

That's awesome thanks. In the meantime I will look into the pro tools mode idea and post back here if I get any results, there was a separate doc about pro tools I'll take a look at it. Edit: there is actually an hui doc and pro tools is there. All of the daws listed there show two separate ports, standard midi and a hui. From what I see in the docs the launch key is the same. Do the korg interfaces behave this way too in computer daws I wonder? Unfortunately there is very little in the way of options or setup in the lcxl or its software and it is a fairly niche thing here so I haven't found anyone else who has tried hui on iPad with it.

Other details I found since I posted : the lcxl works with other iPad apps (specifically launchpad) but that is only midi. I am not sure of another hui app to try..

also when I use ableton in windows I get 2 midi ports and novation tech support has told me the second one is the hui port.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 pm

c0wfunk wrote:That's awesome thanks. In the meantime I will look into the pro tools mode idea and post back here if I get any results, there was a separate doc about pro tools I'll take a look at it. Edit: there is actually an hui doc and pro tools is there. All of the daws listed there show two separate ports, standard midi and a hui. From what I see in the docs the launch key is the same. Do the korg interfaces behave this way too in computer daws I wonder? Unfortunately there is very little in the way of options or setup in the lcxl or its software and it is a fairly niche thing here so I haven't found anyone else who has tried hui on iPad with it.

Other details I found since I posted : the lcxl works with other iPad apps (specifically launchpad) but that is only midi. I am not sure of another hui app to try..

also when I use ableton in windows I get 2 midi ports and novation tech support has told me the second one is the hui port.
Thats right standard midi is just cc# and midi on off triggers but HUI is a seperate prorocol and requires a hui mode. The reason you see 2 ports in the docs is because that is for desktop daws and would only be used for Desktop Daw's that requires HUI to control it. Unfortunately Auria has limited controler choices in its settings as well as the LPxl. Technically when we select HUI as the remote protocol in Auria, it should automatically select the HUI port of the LPxl but obviously this is not happening. As for apps on iPad believe it or not Auria is the only app that responds to HUI and MCU and Mackie Logic Control. All other daws on iOS do not allow you to control their mixer remotely. Except AUM does using CC# which is standard midi with midi learn. Very nice but AUM is a very limited daw. HUI uses a higher bit depth than just regular midi so thats why you wont see a real studio using midi to control their software any time soon. I will take your extra info into account when doing my tests. Cheers

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:23 am

Thats great info thank you for the explanation. The support here is another reason auria is such a great app! Only to be clear and to ensure we are on the same page, you have said launch pad xl a couple of times but the device in question is launch control xl (the one with 8 faders and 3 rows of knobs) :) im sure you have it right but wanted to be sure. Thank you again for going the extra mile here and I look forward to seeing what you find.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:23 am

c0wfunk wrote:Thats great info thank you for the explanation. The support here is another reason auria is such a great app! Only to be clear and to ensure we are on the same page, you have said launch pad xl a couple of times but the device in question is launch control xl (the one with 8 faders and 3 rows of knobs) :) im sure you have it right but wanted to be sure. Thank you again for going the extra mile here and I look forward to seeing what you find.
Sorry about that. Yes it is the Launch Control Xl with the 8 faders that I have coming. Cheers.

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:39 pm

any news / results?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:37 pm

I received a call that the unit is in and ready for me to pick up. I should have some tests done today or tomorrow. Cheers and looking forward to figuring this out.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Got the Launch Control XL. Here is the problem. The Launch Control XL does not go into HUI mode on its own. It requires the daw to do it. AuraiPro unfortunately has such minimal settings for HUI that it cant place the Novation Launch Control into HuI mode. HUI mode is Factory Template #1 and no other, nor is it possible to save the HUI setup as a User Template. So unfortunately this will not work with Auria. Novation would have to create a way for HUI to be saved as a user template or allow the unit to go into HUI mode without a computer. Auria still thinks its a midi controller and its not possible in Auria to have a midi signal from a HUI device. Auria needs the Novation to be one or the other but not both. When the Novation is set to HUI mode it still has a row of knobs at the top that remain midi. This is confusing Auria so it sees the controller as a midi controller. If you create a midi track and set the Novation LCxl to remote control and touch the pads on the Novation LCxl you will see the midi activity light respond on the midi track telling you that the Novation is still sending midi information to AuriaPro not HUI. Thats it, sad but true. I tested every conceivable method but to no avail and the Novation Launch Control xl Editor app used on the desktop doesn't allow for HUI assignment just midi CC# and midi notes. It works fine in LogicPro as a HUI controler but thats to be expected as its software is written and tested for those daws and not AuriaPro.

c0wfunk
Expert

Post by c0wfunk » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 am

Ok .. thanks a lot for checking and the detailed info. I mostly got launch control for my novation circuit so it is disappointing but it'll be ok. I'll send this info to novation on the off chance they want to address it somehow

Can you recommend another USB mixer that does in fact work with Auria? The korg nanokonyrol maybe?

Corey W
Expert

Post by Corey W » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 am

I am currently working through some issues with the Korg Nanostudio. Hoping to get it working with Auria by the weeks end, but so far I can't recommend it.
PreSonus is doing some testing on their end with the new FaderPort 8. If it ends up working, some of the features my be limited with iOS until a future firmware update.
I will report back when I get some more info on both units.

Kites
Expert

Post by Kites » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm

c0wfunk wrote:Ok .. thanks a lot for checking and the detailed info. I mostly got launch control for my novation circuit so it is disappointing but it'll be ok. I'll send this info to novation on the off chance they want to address it somehow

Can you recommend another USB mixer that does in fact work with Auria? The korg nanokonyrol maybe?
If you want something inexpensive and more portable,then yes, the Korg NanoKontrol2 works fairly well with Auria Pro. I use it often. There is a particular to set it up as a member on here has made a video demo. I personally use the NanoKontrol routed through an iConnectAudio4+ which gives me more options.

You might want to look into iConnectivty devices as work around for using Launch Control XL or other controllers, you'll be surprised on what "handshakes" you can make.

Kites
Expert

Post by Kites » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Anthony Alves wrote:Got the Launch Control XL. Here is the problem. The Launch Control XL does not go into HUI mode on its own. It requires the daw to do it. AuraiPro unfortunately has such minimal settings for HUI that it cant place the Novation Launch Control into HuI mode. HUI mode is Factory Template #1 and no other, nor is it possible to save the HUI setup as a User Template. So unfortunately this will not work with Auria. Novation would have to create a way for HUI to be saved as a user template or allow the unit to go into HUI mode without a computer. Auria still thinks its a midi controller and its not possible in Auria to have a midi signal from a HUI device. Auria needs the Novation to be one or the other but not both. When the Novation is set to HUI mode it still has a row of knobs at the top that remain midi. This is confusing Auria so it sees the controller as a midi controller. If you create a midi track and set the Novation LCxl to remote control and touch the pads on the Novation LCxl you will see the midi activity light respond on the midi track telling you that the Novation is still sending midi information to AuriaPro not HUI. Thats it, sad but true. I tested every conceivable method but to no avail and the Novation Launch Control xl Editor app used on the desktop doesn't allow for HUI assignment just midi CC# and midi notes. It works fine in LogicPro as a HUI controler but thats to be expected as its software is written and tested for those daws and not AuriaPro.
Anthony, you're the HUI guru. Do you have experience with Behringer's X-Touch line? I'd imagine they work like your Mackie controllers, perhaps?