Ipad3G Focusrite6i6 Spdif

For topics specifically about audio interfaces (USB, MFi, Camera Connection Kit)

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

monauria

Ipad3G Focusrite6i6 Spdif

Post by monauria » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 pm

No problems with macbook pro syncing to Spdif with for example Audacity. Mix control (1.8 128) 48k 24bits locked. I save to the hardware unplug the usb and connect to ipad with camera kit. Open auria and unable to to sync , pops and crackling.Unplug from ipad and reconnect to macbook and no more pops when input is Spdif. Any suggestions ?

Chaosinside777
Expert

Re: Ipad3G Focusrite6i6 Spdif

Post by Chaosinside777 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:20 am

I have experienced the same problem 10 minutes ago with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.
And it really seems to affect only the spdif connection.

When I first plugged in my AxeFx via spif, I had the same noise on my laptop, but later I found out, that the Scarlett has to get the sync from spdif (AxeFx) and after doing this, there was no problem anymore.

It really seems, that the Focusrite Scarlettmix "forgets" the sync-setting, when plugging to Auria, even when I did "save to hardware"

I have tried the analogue inputs of my Focusrite Scarlett and there is no Crackling/Tickling....

BTW, dear developers of the Auria-App: This is an outstanding product. The Latency and "Feel" is much more direct than connecting my Focusrite Scarlett to my 6-core, SSD-packed Studio PC, where it's not possible to get the latency less than 10 ms.....but this seems to be a Focusrite Problem. With my (already sold) Presonus Studio-Live 16.02 Mixer I had almost the same input latency like the Auria App.
What a pity you just developed this app exklusively for ipad.....

Cheers,
Andy from Austria

MikeDee
Expert

Post by MikeDee » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:00 pm

The sad irony is that if there were a PC version of Auria, you would experience the same issues as with your current PC DAW because the root cause is Focusrite's inefficient USB drivers on the PC.

I have an 8i6; it works gr8 with Auria on my iPad 4 (and iPad 2), but with SAWStudio (a VERY efficient DAW) on my PC it's a dog...either snap, crackle, pop or raise the buffer size (resulting in unacceptable latency).

Focusrite has always had very good hardware. But since the all-analog days are gone, proper attention must be paid to the software which controls the hardware, generates the sound (digitally), does the A/D and D/A conversions, S/PDIF, clocking, etc. (They're not alone, btw. Arturia is an even bigger offender...excellent hardware, buggy-as-hell software.)

But I digress...my apologies for having véèred OT. :oops:

Mike

monauria

Post by monauria » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:58 am

I believe the 6i6 does save the set up from mix control , here is why. I connect the spdif outs from cable box.
Spdif are the inputs to the headphone monitoring(on the 6i6) .As such I can listen to the cable box spdif out with a pair of headphones connected to the 6i6 even when the interface is unplugged from either my mac or windows computers.The problem arises when i plug the interface to the ipad vis camera kit.Then I get pops .The ipad seems to take control of the sync and the 6i6 reverts to internal which is confirmed when i connect the interface to the computer and open mix control. Because I can listen to the spdif outs from the cable box when the interface in not connected to a computer seems to indicate that the box has saved the mix control parameters to the hardware (spdif sync).