MIDI editing, tempo, various other bugs

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jaybot7

MIDI editing, tempo, various other bugs

Post by Jaybot7 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:37 pm

First of all: I love Auria, for many reasons, and I would gladly pay much more for the product. It not only rivals many desktop DAWs I've used over the years, in many cases it is easier to use and has better results. Plus, its round-robin autosaving and auto-snap-shot system is brilliant. Unfortunately, I have to rely on that much too often because of a lot of bugs with the MIDI editing.

First big bug is the tempo track. If you set one with more than one tempo and then try recording MIDI using Lyra (or anything) on a section after the tempo change, you will soon see it heavily screw up the MIDI anytime you try to do any manipulation of the data (such as a simple quantize, or even moving a note). The recorded data seems to be mangled to the tempo before the change for its first half and then slow down to the correct speed halfway through the recording (and vice-versa). Perhaps this is caused by recording without a tempo track, then adding one, then recording again? I'm not sure, but I do know it makes doing any MIDI data recording or manipulating after that fruitless, so I had to abandon a few projects for that (don't worry, I can mail some project files if needed).

Second big bug (which has been mentioned before) is selecting MIDI notes in the piano roll view in general. Sometimes selecting via double tap+drag, or even the select-all button does nothing. Selecting all the notes via the normal (Audio regions) view still appears to function... but when this happens, quantizing the selected stuff doesn't work.

Third minor bug (which had a similar mention before) is the timing of adding/quantizing dotted or tuplet notes are not aligned correctly. Quantizing triplet notes doesn't seem to work at all and I usually end up setting the grid to 1/2 note triplet and manually dragging each note and it seems to work out okay. Quantizing to 100% swing seems to be off on 8th notes as well (from my experience, this should have the same result as 8th note triplets), I don't have the project handy right now, but I'm pretty sure the third note in the tuplet were off by a few ticks, which wasn't a huge deal, but it doesn't match up precisely with the third tuplets on my desktop DAW.

I also noticed a minor bug when importing any of the MIDI drum loops to an existing track that it automatically sets the instrument to the Lyra Edrums. This is annoying if you already have the instrument set up and you simply wish to try out different rhythms on that track.

I hope that helps you bugfix, and I look forward to future versions!

Fix the above stuff and you're even more golden. But... you know, features!

Being able to preview an audio loop at the current tempo would be amazingly awesome. Being able to preview MIDI loops with a selected instrument would be nice too.

And of course, more plugins and instruments are always appreciated ;)

Thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: MIDI editing, tempo, various other bugs

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:33 am

Thanks, I'm aware of the tempo and selection bugs. I've already fixed the selection issue for 2.06, so that will be available with the next update. I'll check into the triplet and swing issues you mentioned. I wasn't aware of those.

Rim

Matt W
Expert

Post by Matt W » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:05 pm

Quick question for you as we test out some of the Quantize functions, which version of quantizing are you use: the real-time one found in the MIDI Control portion of the Channel Strip, or the offline one found under the "Process" pull-down menu?
Matthew Werner
WaveMachine Labs, Inc.

Jaybot7

Post by Jaybot7 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:02 am

Sorry for the huge delay. Life happened :)

Anyway, to answer the question (if you still needed it): I always use the offline / not real-time quantizing.

Still loving Auria and looking forward to the update that's compatible with iOS 10 (mainly to stop the Apple update nags)!