Record Input Select problem / Guitar Apps

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Morgan
Expert

Record Input Select problem / Guitar Apps

Post by Morgan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:40 pm

RIM if you have a spare couple of minutes thought or anyone else who can help. I would appreciate your comments on a "Record input select" issue I am having. I hope my explanation is not confusing.

My setup is an IPAD PRO connected to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface. Although I have previously reported the failure of the 18i8 under iOS 9.2 I have now backtracked on the iOS and returned to 9.1 and the 18i8 is now running superbly fine without any issues. The difficulty I'm experiencing relates to the use of two guitar effect plugins using the IAA feature. Inputs 1 and 2 on my 18i8 are set as MONO inputs and I have a Guitar in input 1 and a Bass guitar in input 2. On AURIA I have inserted TONESTACK guitar App into Recording track 1 as IAA and AMPLITUBE guitar App into recording track 2 as IAA.

The INPUT to both these inputs is obviously MONO from the guitars but the outputs from TONESTACK and AMPLITUBE are Stereo.

This is where the fun begins. In this example I have set AURIA tracks 1 and 2 as Stereo tracks but when I ARM the RECORD BUTTON on each channel strip my only option on the INPUT select is 1/2 for both tracks. This results in both guitars recording simultaneously on both tracks. I don't seem have any way of selecting the two MONO inputs. I.e MONO input 1 to track 1 and MONO input 2 to track 2 unless my brain has gone in reverse and I have missed something simple.

By the way even if I initially set tracks 1 and 2 to MONO, once I have started the recording Auria changes the mono tracks to Stereo so I end up in the same situation. I assume Aurio detects the Stereo output from the guitar Apps but I can't find a way to stop the APPS outputting in Stereo. Thanks for your help.

Ps. I have tried Audiobus and that works fine but I prefer to use IAA if I can.

Trevor

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Record Input Select problem / Guitar Apps

Post by Rim » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:14 pm

I can see your dilemma. IAAs are all stereo... The only thing I can think of is to create a mono track, and using busses, send that track's output to bus 1. Then on another (stereo) track, set it's input to bus 1, and put your IAA on that second track. Busses will automatically put a mono bus onto both L and R channels of a stereo track. Now you just have to find a way to record that second track. Auria doesn't currently support recording directly from a bus, but you can add a third track and set its record input to Master. This should accomplish what you're after.

Rim

Morgan
Expert

Re: Record Input Select problem / Guitar Apps

Post by Morgan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:09 pm

RIM thanks very much for your response. You should be chilling out at the moment as I didn't expect a response until next week. I will give your suggestion some thought and see what I can achieve. Many thanks and take care.

Trevor