waveforms flatline when joining

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

cooder

waveforms flatline when joining

Post by cooder » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:07 am

Hi first post, up to now really enjoying Auria. Just tried to join two wav files and they just flatlined, no biggy but a little annoying anyone having similar issues ?. Thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Re: waveforms flatline when joining

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 am

This could be a bug of some sort. Are you able to reproduce this every time? If so, please send me the project, so I can see what's going on.

Thanks,
Rim

cooder

Post by cooder » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks Rim for your reply but deleted the project already and yes it does it every time,just destroys the wavs, i know the undo button is there and that works but i have some really small files that i would like to make into one file.Does it make any difference if it is an AIFF File or WAV ? just a thought. Regards.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:26 am

This definitely shouldn't be happening. If shouldn't make a difference what kind of files you use. Join should always join ;) If it happens again, please save the project. Anything that's repeatable is very valuable here, because if I can reproduce it I can usually fix it within a few minutes.

Rim

cooder

Post by cooder » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Ok will do how do I get it to you. Thanks

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:45 pm

I've had that same join regions bug. Only once, I pressed undo and got the wav's back.
latest build 1.154

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 pm

It's been reported for a few versions now, but I haven't been able to reproduce it, so if anyone has a project that demonstrates this happening every time, it would be really helpful to finally nail this one.

Thanks,
Rim

mtingle
Expert

Post by mtingle » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Sure, If I can help I will.
Michael

cooder

Post by cooder » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:07 am

just tried to join two files on my ipad 2 and it worked but still flatlining on my ipad 4 ?

cooder

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:24 am

It certainly has nothing to do with the iPad model. It's probably a very specific thing you're doing to get this to happen that needs to be followed exactly. It's probably why I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Rim

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:22 pm

cooder wrote:just tried to join two files on my ipad 2 and it worked but still flatlining on my ipad 4 ?

cooder
Did you join the same two files on the iPad2 as on the iPad4? Is it possible that the problem is with the files themselves?

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:19 pm

I am having this problem also. Sometimes the audio is gone, sometimes it is still there. In the most recent case the audio is still present but the waveforms are missing. I just imported an earlier edit of this track into the project and it is ok. Any further insight into this?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:47 am

It somehow never happens for me ;) If I can get some clear instructions on how to make it happen every time, it would help me find this rare bug.

Thanks,
Rim

engravertom

Post by engravertom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 am

It happens for me after splitting, editing, crossfading, and joining regions multiple times in a track. I set the view to beats and expand so I can see each beat position of very measure. I was cutting up a kick track, and thought I should rejoin each area as I was looking at it. Eventually, the wave form dispersed after one of the joining events. I guess the right way is to o all my edits, then join one time ? Since joining is essentially a mix down for that track, maybe too many mix downs cause problems? I am talking dozens of joins in one track.

After I lost the recorded kick track, I created a new one in GarageBand, exported it as an AIFF, and brought it into the project in the same track position. Since I quantized it in GarageBand it did not need editing, except for a slight deceleration at the end of the song . I cut and moved the pieces, did the crossfades, but joining those 4 regions results in a flatline with no sound . Undo restored it, so it is ok. I had to edit the overhead drum track to match, and all went well for many edits, until I opened the project last night. The oh drum track is flatline now, but still has sound . It would be pretty hard to do any more editing without the waveforms.

I imported an earlier edit of he overhead drum track, and it still,looks good. I will try doing all edits and crossfades on a track and only join once when finished, and see if that helps . I am new to all this, so I kind of wanted to lock down my changes as I was working on each few measures that I could see one time.

If you want me to send you this project, should I Put it up on Dropbox and create a link for you? I think it is too big to email.

Thanks for your efforts Rim! I have been using Auria for live sound 2x a month since the beginning of the year, and have several recording projects in the works too. I really enjoy using it, and this is all just part of the learning curve for me.

Take care,

Tom

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:49 am

In your project, are you able to get this to happen reliably every time? If so, then I'd love to have a copy of it.

Rim