SOLVED - iPad Air 2 CPU warning with CPU at only 70%

For bug reports only - non-bug related questions will be moved to appropriate forum.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sELF
Expert

Re: iPad Air 2 crashing. CPU only at 70%

Post by sELF » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks Rim. Full power to you in making Auria so great...And Auria certainly uses full power!

One side order...Can we have 12 markers instead of 4 on the edit page. Things can get complex :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks. More markers (and better marker control) is high on my list for sure.

Thanks,
Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Rim...One thing I must communicate: I have a Duo EX now. And I get the same 'locked app', that has to be restarted, as I had with my UCA 202 & Apogee One. This is when I use Pro MB or Pro L at max quality settings. When the processor hits somewhere around max, the app will often not respond to my pressing 'OK'. The app remains frozen, so to speak. Only cured by quitting and re-starting. A Fabfilter issue?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:32 pm

It might be. I'll add this to my list to investigate.

RIm

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Rim :)

psysword
Expert

Post by psysword » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey just bought fab filter MB in the sale and it's crashing with only four tracks on my shiny new iPad air 2 at 60 percent even though all the other tracks are frozen....sucks...iPad air 2 is worse than my iPad Air..cpu loss with some RAM improvement. What was your workaround on this issue, Rim?
Thanks
Psysword

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:51 pm

When you say it's "crashing", do you mean it's quitting Auria and going to your home screen (with the icons)?

If you mean you're getting a CPU warning, there's an iOS bug that causes excessive CPU usage when scrolling on a scrollview control (like Auria's mixer or the editor screen). There's no word yet from Apple about the progress on fixing this bug. It only affects the Air 2.

Keep in mind that it's very easy to overload the CPU on any of the models when using the Fabfilter plugins, even without this scrollview bug. Fabfilter plugins have the ability to do massive amounts of processing, so it's important to choose your settings carefully ;)

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Hmmm, interesting. Because, after recent/latest updates to Auria and iOS 8, I don't appear to be having the same graphics issue. I am able to have Pro MB (2 xOversampling)/C/Q (Linear Max) & L on a stereo track without a problem. CPU going up to around 90%. Air 2 with Auria set to highest quality mixer settings. And moving my finger all over Pro L, for example, in Mixer View.
I was having bad issues doing this a month or so ago. Not now? Airplane mode, no other apps running, BTW. I'll post if I have any more troubles, though.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 pm

I added a workaround which makes this problem much less likely to happen, but it's still possible to make it occur if you try hard ;) The problem happens when you scroll left and right on the actual Auria mixer or on the editor.

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 pm

I see. I used to see a 10% CPU spike if I even touched Pro L or MB's interface. Happy that those days are over!
P.S Ive heard the rumour, that Midi is coming very, very soon. Guess I won't know till it happens :D

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:58 pm

Okay, after further checks: Air 2, latest iOS: Crashes still happening in Mixer View with Pro MB / L etc. With the CPU not reaching anywhere near 90%. Basically, when I have the Fabfilters open in Mixer View, things can go wrong. But, with the plugs open in Waveform View, the crashes don't seem to happen. Mad, mad world. :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Please tell me what you mean when you say it's "crashing". It means different things to different people and I just wanted to make sure what you meant.

Crashing usually means that it closes the program and all you see are the icons. Is this what you mean?

Rim

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Scusa! 'CPU Overload'. Returning to normal by clicking OK. Only crashing/locking up, occasionally, when taking the audio out into my Apogee One or Roland Duo EX. Then, sometimes, quit app etc. is required.
P.S Midi for Christmas? :D Just ignore my dreaming. But curiosity & the urge to leave Cubasis is strong!

psysword
Expert

Post by psysword » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks guys, yes Rim, my Crashing is also occurring as in loss of audio, sometimes, the program disappears, and sometimes, I just have to press play again....well I will try to use the "waveform" and the not ,easing around left to right screen workarounds. But mostly I'm just editing the final mix down in another project with pro mb. On another note, Rim, I'm pretty satisfied with the auria brick wall limiter. Any recommendation to upgrade to ff limiter? Anyone? The sound is already decent, and i can't imagine ff limiter enhancing that sound after ff pro Q and pro Mb tacked on to the track. I'm hoping that I'm wrong and have an excuse to shop some more! But a gentle nudge first! Thanks people and Merry Christmas Shopping!

sELF
Expert

Post by sELF » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:30 am

I think Pro L is very good. You can get a few extra db without too many problems. Just don't try to get more than 2 or 3, in my opinion! BigKick is a good preset. I select Dither when I master to 24 bit. I also set Pro MB and L to 4 x Oversampling, when I'm ready to hit Mixdown. The quality is super. The CPU might hit 200%! And the Mixdown will take a while. Just don't try to play the track with these settings :shock: