WiFi drives: Anyone tried them yet?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Lynn Fuston
Expert

WiFi drives: Anyone tried them yet?

Post by Lynn Fuston » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:24 pm

I know there are many different WiFi drives showing up these days, such as these in this article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-wif ... 011-8?op=1

Has anyone tried using them for offline storage of large sessions? I'm just considering solutions for quickly transferring large projects on and off of the iPad.

Navpack
Expert

Re: WiFi drives: Anyone tried them yet?

Post by Navpack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Been using iUSBPort for transferring files to/from iPad via ftp client, but didn't know we could move sessions out of Auria using only the iPad except for going through Dropbox.

https://www.hypershop.com/iUSBport-by-H ... -s/218.htm

Phil

Albrecht
Expert

Post by Albrecht » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:22 am

interesting
btw - since yesterday i`m experimenting with time capsule from apple

Trentsongs
Expert

Post by Trentsongs » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 am

Wondering if anyone has been successful with these types of drives and Auria?

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Trentsongs wrote:Wondering if anyone has been successful with these types of drives and Auria?
will tell you in a few days, mate....just ordered one after seeing the original post... :D

.....am travelling OS soon so want something to save photos to and this will be a handy gadget to have for that as well as to try out with my new 128Air and Auria.:)
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

dwarman

Post by dwarman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:41 pm

I also have an iUSBPort. Needs a firmware update for iOS 7. Auria can export tracks to AudioShare, and AudioShare can upload and download directly from the iUSBPort (using its browser interface). If Auria could also export projects to AudioShare that would be a good working solution. Just remember that means the project is taking up memory twice this way.

thelip

Post by thelip » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:21 am

I have a seagate goflex with a hacked firmware which allows a bunch of added features, but unfortunately nothing helpful for this solution. I got it solely for the use with auria, but i haven't found a nonjailbreak solution yet to move projects without the help of a desktop via ifunbox. It's not to say that's a problem, but i think auria will need some sort of ftp protocol at the very least. That specific firmware has a dropbox client that theoretically could backup a project via dropbox and an internet connection, but i haven't messed with it as I need decent auria projects to actually save (obviously, zero fault of auria) ;-)

I would really welcome some sort of ftp browser in the project manager of auria, but there are bigger fish to fry *COUGH MIDI COUGH* so I will patiently wait.

thelip

Post by thelip » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:11 pm

I did just have somewhat of a thought regarding these drives that *might* work: From my limited understanding most of the wireless hdds, like the goflex, they run a flavor of linux. IF you could get libimobiledevice compiled and running, I think you could set up some sort of mount/rsync script over the camera connection kit and usb connection of the drive to automatically backup the projects folder of auria and then access them via the normal means of the drives intended gui/app. I'm not real confident that my lunch break brainstorm was much of one, but I think it might be worth investigating further. Would the CCK data connection stop any attempts of mounting from the HDD w/o a jailbreak?

thelip

Post by thelip » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 am

After too much time tinkering and researching I gave up with further hacking of the goflex drive. Somebody with a little more ability might have got it to work, but it was beyond me. Next I researched into rolling my own dropbox server proxy thing to make auria 'think' it's dropbox transfer was to dropbox, but to the NAS instead. As far as I can tell, that software doesn't exist. My next approach is a raspberry pi that i can run headless and act as a 'gateway' from iPad to hdd via libimobiledevice and ssh/vnc from iPad. Obviously, i'm about to the point of why this is worth it when i can just use my macbook, but it's for the sake of tinkering! (and a goflex & raspberry pi is still less weight and volume than a macbook)

... just giving my 2 cents to this OCD journey. By the time I get it figured out, Rim will have released something way more graceful.

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:51 am

thelip wrote:After too much time tinkering and researching I gave up with further hacking of the goflex drive. Somebody with a little more ability might have got it to work, but it was beyond me. Next I researched into rolling my own dropbox server proxy thing to make auria 'think' it's dropbox transfer was to dropbox, but to the NAS instead. As far as I can tell, that software doesn't exist. My next approach is a raspberry pi that i can run headless and act as a 'gateway' from iPad to hdd via libimobiledevice and ssh/vnc from iPad. Obviously, i'm about to the point of why this is worth it when i can just use my macbook, but it's for the sake of tinkering! (and a goflex & raspberry pi is still less weight and volume than a macbook)

... just giving my 2 cents to this OCD journey. By the time I get it figured out, Rim will have released something way more graceful.
Hello the lip,

Have you tried the last update of "Hackingseagate"?
Can you please go into detail what are the problems to connect directly into those Dropbox-functions?

Thanks in advance

Ohmnoise
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

thelip

Post by thelip » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Hello. I just logged on to their forum this weekend to see what was new and saw that there was an update to the goflex. From what I gathered, the newest and most useful feature is they rolled in Bittorrent Sync which is similar to dropbox, but does not require the data to traverse thru the cloud.

The goflex has been collecting dust since I just recently picked up a 64gb iPad Air (putting my cramped feelings to rest). My experience and summary of incorporating wifi storage is that it is very useful for samples, but for proprietary file formats such as Auria's Project files, it's no help. You would still need a PC/MAC to transfer those files to the drive in Auria's current form. I'm holding out for another badass update from Rim to allow some better file management, but he's got a lot on his plate. :wink:

Even if there was a way to have an "open in" option in Auria for project files to then open in an FTP/etc app then the wifi drive scenario might be useful, maybe? I, personally, like dropbox a lot, but their limited free space is definitely a deal breaker.

For what it's worth, my upgrade from a 16gb ipad 3 to the 64gb Air was amazing. Auria is butter smooth and feels like it's nice at home on the air. Struggling with the 3rd gen for so long was definitely a serious hinderance to any sort of limited creativity I could muster.

Ohmnoise
Expert

Post by Ohmnoise » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Thx for the quick answer!
Thinking about an old Mac mini, because my apple g5 with OS 10.49 does not work anymore with necessary iTunes-versions.
For a longer support with iTunes, does anybody knows which Mac mini (year) would be good enough if I only use the mini for iTunes and storages the auria projects.
iPad 3/16 GB - Alesis Dock - Auria 2.0 - ReTune - Audiobus - JamUp Pro - Alchemy Pro - DM1

thelip

Post by thelip » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Just this spring I put my last operating PPC machine out to pasture, but I'm wondering if ifunbox might still work on them?

Another option might be with vanilla linux distros. They ship with all the goodies to dig into the file system of the ipad to manage files. That is if you're looking for a budget solution. Taking it a step further, the raspberry pi worked fine and if you're super motivated you can control the pi headlessly from the ipad. It was slightly cumbersome though as the raspbian install was not touch screen friendly. To get really technical: I almost had the pi configured to mount Auria's documents folder as a mount point that was then available it's ftp service. Then with a native ftp client on the ipad, I would have access to the "secret" auria files as if it was browsing local files. Gave up and got the bigger ipad, but i'm 99% sure it would work and be slick.

Having said all that and to answer your question more directly about the mini. I believe any core 2 duo "mac" would be sufficient in running 10.6.8 at the minimum, which (i think) is what itunes requires.

edit: corrected imac to "mac" and confirmed that minimum requirements for the latest iTunes is 10.6.8 which runs on any intel mac. I think 10.7 was what phased out the 32bit core solo chipsets. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.