How do you copy audio from Auria into Beatmaker 2?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

sealpt
Expert

How do you copy audio from Auria into Beatmaker 2?

Post by sealpt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi guys,

I just got Auria. I'm working on a song, but want to use Beatmaker 2's drums. I can't copy the audio from the clipboard into Beatmaker. How do you do such a thing?

Also, Auria rocks!

Thank you,
Shawn

Washboy
Expert

Re: How do you copy audio from Auria into Beatmaker 2?

Post by Washboy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:20 am

@sealpt:
It's difficult to tell whether you're having difficulty with Auria or Beatmaker2. What audio are you trying to get out of Auria into Beatmaker2? A mixdown, or an individual audio clip/region?

Can you describe the steps you're taking in Auria to get your audio into the 'clipboard'? Perhaps then someone here can advise if that method is compatible with Beatmaker2.

This article may throw a little light on inter-app audio copy: http://iosmusicandyou.com/2012/08/03/ip ... udiopaste/

sealpt
Expert

Post by sealpt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 am

That was a great article, thank you for that. I have pasted things into Auria, but I think the problem lies with Beatmaker 2. I have tried 2 methods in Auria to copy audio clips. The first is to highlight the audio clip, go to edit, and hit audio copy. I can't find that particular file using audio past in Beatmaker.

The second method was to go to menu - mixdown. I hit ok on the default of that, but beatmaker again doesn't find it. I have thought about using dropbox, or soundcloud, but I am pretty sure that uses the internet, which I don't always have access to.

I am curious to know where the "mixdown" song does finally end up. I have been reading the manual, but have not gotten all the way though it yet, so if it's in there, nevermind.

I think I'll have to go to beatmaker and see if there is a user forum there for this.

Thank you,
Shawn

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 am

I believe you're issue has to do with the fact that in Auria they have implemented the Audio Copy/Paste from Sonoma Wireworks and in Beatmaker they're using the general pasteboard method created by Intua themselves. Coming from the general pasteboard into Sonoma's solution, you can scroll up when audio pasting to select the general pasteboard and paste that. However, I think when you're going the other way (from Auria with Sonoma's solution into Beatmaker with Intua's solution) you can't paste. I think you may need to go into an app like Hokusai or Audioshare to transfer from Auria to Beatmaker. I use Hokusai for this all the time between different apps. It's a great app too imo.

A little more about the mixdown in Auria; These mixdowns go into your project folder if you don't specify for them to go into dropbox or into a new track. I find it simplest to select "import to new track" when doing a mixdown and then highlighting that new track after the mixdown completes and selecting edit>audio copy. Then you can delete the track if you like to free up the resources.

Hope this helps.

sealpt
Expert

Post by sealpt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:25 pm

That was helpful, thank you. Although, do you have to go though Itunes to import the audio into Hokusai? I just downloaded it, and the paste is disabled. That Audioshare will copy this stuff and translate it, right? That is another 4 bucks (yeah, I know that is peanuts, but peanuts have a way of adding up).

In what way do you use Hokusai?

Thank you again,
Shawn

Washboy
Expert

Post by Washboy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:54 am

Er... I got the impression that AudioCopy in Auria copies to the Sonoma clipboard AND to the general pasteboard simultaneously. Confusing. (@Rim: Can you confirm that?)

You don't use iTunes <spit!> to get audio from Auria to Hokusai (or AudioShare, for that matter). You use AudioCopy/Paste.

boone51 was suggesting that the quickest/easiest way to get a mixdown from Auria to another app is to mixdown to a spare track in Auria and then AudioCopy the track from Auria and then paste it into the other app. Perhaps Hokusai or AudioShare may be needed as an intermediary, in the case of BM2. I don't know about that.

Hokusai requires at least the 'Tools' in-app purchase to get the AudioCopy/Paste facility. IMHO it's worth going for the 'Complete Pro Pack' add-in. AudioShare is good too but without all the bells and whistles of Hokuai.

sealpt
Expert

Post by sealpt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 am

I just found the answer and had posted it to KVR. Here is what I found:

Ok, I figured this out this morning. The issue was the way Beatmaker 2 imported copied samples. I copied a clip using Sonoma from Auria and tried to import it into Beatmaker 2. When you first copy the clip you can give it a name, which I did, just the default name, nothing fancy. When importing it into Beatmaker 2, I brought up the clipboard and saved to Beatmaker 2. When the save screen came up, there was nothing in there for me to select and actually pick "Auria". This was really baffling me, where was my audio copy? Anyway, Just for giggles I hit the "save" button and it asked me what name to give it. Name it? It was already named. This is where I would usually give up and try a different approach, but this time I typed in just random letters, and all of a sudden it showed up in the copy pool.

Not sure why Beatmaker 2 handles things this way, especially after the thing already had a name of its own.

Now I can move on with my song. I have a feeling each app handles the copy/paste routine in a different way. The hard part is figuring out how each app handles them.

Shawn

distraub
Expert

Post by distraub » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:45 pm

The reason Beatmaker 2 handles it that way, is that it uses the General Pasteboard, which is blind, it doesn't know what the name is, there is no meta data, also if you copy something to it, then copy something else, it overwrites it, it is similar to the pasteboard on pc/mac, if you copy a file, then paste it, you aren't sure exactly what you are pasting, same concept.

-distraub

boone51
Expert

Post by boone51 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Glad to hear you figured it out. Hope my information didn't mislead you too much.

I use Hokusai for cleaning up different samples I collect/record/etc as well as some basic audio cleanup. It's got a lot of great features as Washboy mentioned and the interface is nice imo. I also used it as a go between app for apps that used the two flavors of ACP we've been talking about here. It got a lot more use before I had Auria, to be honest (see Normalize).

sealpt
Expert

Post by sealpt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you for the information. The copy it blind really tells the story and makes total sense. Not that it copies blind, just that Beatmaker didn't know what I was bringing into it.

Shawn