Love the product - Bluetooth Support Badly needed!!!

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

progrocker333

Love the product - Bluetooth Support Badly needed!!!

Post by progrocker333 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:49 am

Dear Auria staff,

You have made a killer product that has a lot of potential to benefit the mixing engineer looking to tackle mixes on the go. However there is one issue that is driving me nuts, and that is the lack of bluetooth / Airplay support. Now before you write a reply and tell me that "apple currently doesn't support bluetooth with applications that utilize both input and output audio at the same time" please hear me out.

I work as a professional audio engineer traveling to different studios. Between my project studio, mastering studios, and mixing rooms that I work in I would love to try using Auria for some serious mixes and not bounce the tracks to pro tools format. I do not want to figure out a way to patch into each audio system by buying some small interface with mediocre DACs and figuring out how to best patch my signal in each room. I'd like to use in studio converters and monitoring setup. I want to take advantage of those meticulously crafted acoustics and 50,000$ sound systems... The most convenient way I see for this is to utilize Bluetooth or airplay in order to get a Digital stream to the studio system. Hence I can bring my ipad, a bluetooth dongle and be able to mix in virtually any studio utilizing their DACs and monitoring setup.....

I understand this request would not be feasible for recording plus the latency issues there would not be practical. However in mixing this is another story.

Could you please look into including airplay/bluetooth support for mixing only modes? I.E a mode which disables all audio inputs (recording functionality) and only focuses on the outputs much like other audio apps that can be streamed. This would be invaluable to someone who wants to use Auria in multiple monitoring setups without compromising on another budget USB interface.

I would like to push this software to its limits in multiple professional environments, but I don't think I can truly utilize it with the built in commercial grade DAC or even an extra interface due to the logistical issues with patching into a studio monitoring system.

Thank you all in advance for your support and consideration.

-IK

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Love the product - Bluetooth Support Badly needed!!!

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:54 am

We'd love to add bluetooth support, but it's just not possible with the current version of iOS. It doesn't support bluetooth in apps that do input and output simultaneously, like Auria. This may change in a future iOS version, and we'll support it if it's possible.

Rim

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:37 am

What is the status of Bluetooth right now- is it still a compressed format?
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

progrocker333

Post by progrocker333 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you for the reply. What I am asking is can a mode be implemented which uses only audio output and no input mode that way allowing the use of Bluetooth? Can you create a dedicated mixing mode that disables input functionality for the sake of mixing through Bluetooth?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:30 pm

A mode like that is possible, but would require going back and forth between the settings page every time you want to enable bluetooth. Then you need to remember to disable it if you want to do any recording or monitoring. We're going to wait to see what iOS 6 brings to the table in terms of bluetooth support.

Rim

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:50 pm

My question is: is Bluetooth capable of carrying high resolution audio?
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

progrocker333

Post by progrocker333 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:55 pm

If iOS 6 does not yield favorable blue tooth results please consider implementing the mode discussed above in order to allow playback / mixing through bluetooth. This will be invaluable if you would like to use the product anywhere with quality DAC converters rooms and systems.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Definitely, that's the plan.

Rim

Dubhausdisco
Expert

Post by Dubhausdisco » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Prog-
I think what will end up happening is that most would use the Bluetooth functions through consumer systems, achieving marginal result. as for monitoring through a " 50,000$ sound system" I would guess that the distortion in the bluetooth compressed audio would be even more apparent. Too soon for Bluetooth as a reference medium.
dubhausdisco

iPad 3
iOS 7.0.4
Akai EIE
Auria 1.14

progrocker333

Post by progrocker333 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Yes it's true bluetooth lacks the bandwidth to stream uncompressed audio. Hopefully though depending on user application we will see Auria be able to stream over both wifi and bluetooth for maximum flexibility.

Manndolins

Post by Manndolins » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Any update on bluetooth capability? I was thinking of getting a Bose soundlink to use for rough mixing and practicing parts.
Will this work?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm

Bluetooth lacks the quality needed for use with Auria, and the latency would be so bad, that it would be impossible to use when recording. In any case, iOS7 still doesn't support using bluetooth in a DAW.

Rim

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Rim wrote:Bluetooth lacks the quality needed for use with Auria, and the latency would be so bad, that it would be impossible to use when recording.
Thanks for the info, Rim. For my own purposes, a playback only Bluetooth link to something like my Jawbone BigJambox would be quite handy for doing audio house keeping chores such as tweaking edits, cleaning up tracks, importing/exporting audio and other non-recording tasks as well as just general playback to cross reference/check mixes and such. In other words for task that do not requite pro level audio and can be done whilst feeding the kids or having a Hendricks & Tonic on the deck whilst watching the sun go down.:)
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."

mrufino1
Expert

Post by mrufino1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:04 pm

I have a Bose sound link and it is a cool reference. The 1/8" input on the back makes it easy to use with auria. Just get an 1/8" to 1/8" cable and you're in business.

sodium
Expert

Post by sodium » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 pm

mrufino1 wrote: The 1/8" input on the back makes it easy to use with auria. Just get an 1/8" to 1/8" cable and you're in business.

Oh yeah I've one of those but I was just being a geek.....;)

Cheers
"get down off that cross we could use the wood..."