Effects and memory

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Effects and memory

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 am

No problem at all. The latency setting adjusts how large the buffer is. With a large buffer, it is harder to overload the CPU, and with a small buffer it is easier to overload the CPU. Of course, with a larger buffer, there is also a noticeable delay if you are singing or playing guitar, etc. So it's a balance between the two.

Rim

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55 pm

So if i put the latency on 1024 or upper the buffer gets larger? That's what you mean? Is that what am supposed to understand? Sorry but it becomes quite technical...
:roll: thanks

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes, exactly. If you put the buffer at 4096, it is the largest, and this means better CPU performance.

So, while recording:
128 = greatest CPU usage / least amount of delay (no noticeable delay in recording)
4096 = lowest CPU usage / most amount of delay (very noticeable delay in recording)

Rim

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Thank you Rim it is a very important point and very usefull for everybody as the main problematic is the ipad's storage an processor limits mainly due to CPU. Very kind of you really.
:wink:

Tuli

Post by Tuli » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Rim wrote:It's very important to remember that restarting your iPad will not close your background apps.

It's counterintuitive, but true. An iPad will reload all your background apps after a restart.

So, to really ensure that all your memory is free, you need to restart your iPad AND close all your background apps. It's the only sure-fire way to know you've freed all your memory.

This includes closing Auria as well. NOTE: in order to shut down Auria, you need to first tap the home button, so Auria's window is no longer showing, then double-tap the home button to close Auria. If Auria's screen is showing, it won't appear in the app list.

Rim
Question??
If I close background apps, will it close it completely were I have to go in and load each app back up again each time I close them??

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Yes, closing a background app means the next time you want to use that app, it will take a little longer to open, as it's loading it. Otherwise, apps are designed to work in the background, so switching to them is instant.

Rim

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 pm

PS I REPOST YOU THIS MESSAGE HERE BECAUSE I POSTED IT IN AURIA QUESTIONS BUT I SAW THAT POSTS THERE WERE DATING FROM DECEMBER 2005...LOL SO HERE IT IS AGAIN IN MORE RECENT QUESTIONS...

Dear Rim hello!
Now I don't have any trouble of CPU OVERLOAD or memory or what ever and even I found that the freezing helps a lot to regain CPU as well as the record latency on 4096 for a bigger buffer and then again having bigger CPU capacity (even if a delay is going on while recording but then when you play the track it's ok, all in good timing) so again thanks a lot for your so rich advices which helped soooo muuuuuuch really.
Now am in Morocco for holidays and I took Auria with me and you can't beleave what a good tool is accompanying me there.
The onlything is that even with the user guide I cannot understand how to make a final Bounce to have a stereo track of a all song to export it and put it on my Soundcloud for exemple. It is not so clearly explained on the user guide and I cannot make my Bounces....Could you please explain me ,I can't figure really figure it... I understood that it was in the INPUT MATRIX SECTION and that you have to select all the tracks in stereo on the 2 blanks round buttons on the right and then you record it on a blank track but the mic will record the external sound...isn't it? I can't understand it.
I hope everything is fine with you and I would like to share with you and all Auria's users my work, you'll be quite astonished...
Waiting for your kind reply. Take care of you, regards.
Anton

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 am

Anton,

I'm glad it's working well for you. Here's the easiest way to make a final mix:

1. Go to the Menu
2. Choose Mixdown
3. Select "Entire Song" at the top
4. Choose "Export to SoundCloud"

This will create a mixdown and upload it to your SoundCloud account.

Rim

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 am

Ok thanks
And to get it for myself as a mp3 or wave file does it work in the same way mixing down?

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:42 am

Yes, in the Mixdown box you can choose WAV, AIF or MP3.

RIm

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Rim, i probably haven't been clear...my question was how to get the Mp3 file. To put it on Souncloud it's fine but to get myself the file to put it in a Mp3 player how to do? Thank you so much for your time.
;)

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:00 pm

OK, to do that, you have two choices:

1. Use iTunes and a computer (Mac/PC) to grab the file. There's a section of iTunes called File Sharing, where you can access all the files in an app and copy it to your computer.

2. Use DropBox.

Rim

offthesky
Expert

Post by offthesky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:42 am

this has been a super useful thread for me in understanding auria's memory usage (i was wondering why i had 10megs of memory left with all & only 9 frozen tracks in my project).

one technique that's helped me free up some memory in my project (that's alternate to doing a mixdown of the track), is by making a new empty audio track and then importing a particular freeze .wav file into that. when you choose import audio from the file menu, you can go into your project's folder and choose any one of the freeze audio track files(though they're prefixed with numbers starting at 0. i.e 0 is for track 1, etc). upon import, auria makes a duplicate copy of the freeze audio file in the project folder. obviously doing this with tracks that use the convolution plugin will free up the most memory.

also am really looking forward to the implementation of memory being freed up when tracks get frozen(am on an ipad 2 and want to have a ton of tracks, each using a ton of effects)

noise.offthesky.com

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:15 am

Hey Rim, hope you're fine, am writing you to tell you about a problem appearing when i freeze a track.
I am on a project now on which i freezed all tracks and when i freeze the one which concerns my lead voice then the lead voicegets a huge distortion...so hugly. When ever i remove the freeze it gets clear again and if i put the freeze on again a huge distortion...the result is that it is unsuitable to freeze the voice.
Can you explain it? Reagards.

anton06
Expert

Post by anton06 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:40 am

RIM, I DID THE UPDATE OF AURIA ON APPLESTORE AND IT KILLED THE APP!!!!!!!!! IT CRASHES WHEN I OPEN IT...I CAN'T ACCESS ANYMORE TO AURIA...I SWITCHED OFF MY IPAD2 BUT NOTHING TO DO...IT IS MAD TO MAKE SUCH UPDATES...I HAD A VERY IMPORTANT APPOINTMENT TODAY TO PRESENT A NEW TRACK OF MINE...WHAT'S THE POINT OF AN UPDATE MAKING USERS UNABLE TO USE THE APP????? PLEASE RIM COULD YOU SPEAK TO SOMEONE ABLE TO SOLVE THIS HUGE PROBLEM? THANKS.