Auria with outboard gear?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Katladraken
Expert

Auria with outboard gear?

Post by Katladraken » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Hi! I just bought my first outboard gear, a microphone preamp and next on the list is a compressor that I wanna use as outboard so I can compress already recorded vocals. Is there a way to do this in Auria? I wanna print the audio to the vocal tracks for example. I know you can do this in other daws for pc and Mac.

Thanks in advance :)

Dirge59
Expert

Re: Auria with outboard gear?

Post by Dirge59 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:38 pm

That would be interface dependent. Not DAW.the Audient ID44 is the perfect with IOS.

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm

In for example protools you chose to print the track so it must be a daw function. The Audient let's me connect outboard gear but in order for me to, let's say add compression via an outboard compressor and then print these settings into my project should be a function in the daw, simular to how you freeze a track. Because I wanna use the compression on different tracks in my project. I can't seem to find any info on this in Auria.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 pm

Katladraken wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm
In for example protools you chose to print the track so it must be a daw function. The Audient let's me connect outboard gear but in order for me to, let's say add compression via an outboard compressor and then print these settings into my project should be a function in the daw, simular to how you freeze a track. Because I wanna use the compression on different tracks in my project. I can't seem to find any info on this in Auria.
I think what you will have to do is route your audio and then send the effected audio to another track where it can be recorded

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 pm

That would be perfect! And I guess solo it and then record it real time to a new track right?

Thanks!

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:08 pm

Katladraken wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:34 pm
That would be perfect! And I guess solo it and then record it real time to a new track right?

Thanks!
You wouldn’t need to solo it. You can send the output of any channel strip to a bus. Choose that bus as the input in another channel and record that channel when you play. After your record, set the new track’s input to the track rather than the bus and mute the original track.

It sounds more complicated than it is. You might also want to do some tests to see if the outboard compressor really sounds better than some of the excellent iOS compressors. The ToneBoosters compressor is a great all around compressor. And some people love the Stereo Magic Death Eye as a giving some nice analog flavor.

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 pm

Ohh it seems I forgot to check the Auria store and missed out on some new plug-ins! I will check them out.
I just bought the Art Pro voice channel and their 2 - channel pre-amp and I just love the way the pre-Amp tube gain makes vocals sound. But I haven't tried the compressor yet. I will soon.
Thank you so much, I will try to figure this out.
Do set all these settings via the routing or can you insert a bus directly via the channel strip like you do with reverb etc?

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:52 pm

Katladraken wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 pm
Ohh it seems I forgot to check the Auria store and missed out on some new plug-ins! I will check them out.
I just bought the Art Pro voice channel and their 2 - channel pre-amp and I just love the way the pre-Amp tube gain makes vocals sound. But I haven't tried the compressor yet. I will soon.
Thank you so much, I will try to figure this out.
Do set all these settings via the routing or can you insert a bus directly via the channel strip like you do with reverb etc?
There are AUv3 plugins you should look at, too. Not just what is in the Auria store.

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 pm

Been trying my new stereo compressor and I did as I was adviced here but how on earth can I monitor what I'm doing with the inserted compressor? If I solo the track used to insert the outboard compressor it goes silent. As I record to a new track I can see the waves for a second and then it dissapears.

There is no sound on the track once I stop recording and hit play again. I wanna be able to tweak the knobs on the compressor playing the full mix and then when I'm happy with the sound, record it on a new stereo track.

It's really difficult to find info on this online:(

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 pm

Katladraken wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 pm
Been trying my new stereo compressor and I did as I was adviced here but how on earth can I monitor what I'm doing with the inserted compressor? If I solo the track used to insert the outboard compressor it goes silent. As I record to a new track I can see the waves for a second and then it dissapears.

There is no sound on the track once I stop recording and hit play again. I wanna be able to tweak the knobs on the compressor playing the full mix and then when I'm happy with the sound, record it on a new stereo track.

It's really difficult to find info on this online:(
Can you post pictures of your Auria mixing board’s setup?

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

I can now get the audio from the track I wanna process in my outboard compressor to go through the compressor and back in on a new track but I still can't figure out how to hear the processed audio in real time. Maybe it's not possible?
I get a feedback loop if I enable the audio out to track.

I feel like such an idiot :)

I've been watching videos in logic and there it seems easy, you can just insert the compressor as you would do with plug-ins. Chose the input and output and then you can hear what is happening on that track.

Right now I have a stereo file of the mixed song in a new project that I wanna run through the compressor, tweak the sound in real time and when I'm happy with the sound I wanna record it to a new stereo track.

On my last attempt it worked to also record on a new track but I didn't hear any audio when I playedback that track! But I can see it's there, I also tried to turn down the input gain on the compressor as I was recording and the volume dropped on the recorded track so it's definitely working.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Katladraken wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am
I can now get the audio from the track I wanna process in my outboard compressor to go through the compressor and back in on a new track but I still can't figure out how to hear the processed audio in real time. Maybe it's not possible?
I get a feedback loop if I enable the audio out to track.

I feel like such an idiot :)

I've been watching videos in logic and there it seems easy, you can just insert the compressor as you would do with plug-ins. Chose the input and output and then you can hear what is happening on that track.

Right now I have a stereo file of the mixed song in a new project that I wanna run through the compressor, tweak the sound in real time and when I'm happy with the sound I wanna record it to a new stereo track.

On my last attempt it worked to also record on a new track but I didn't hear any audio when I playedback that track! But I can see it's there, I also tried to turn down the input gain on the compressor as I was recording and the volume dropped on the recorded track so it's definitely working.
Can you post screen shots of your Auria mixing board setup and your input/output setup (in Auria)

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Here is a screenshot of the mixer
Attachments
831283D7-6F58-4ABA-B1C9-347FFC7AD739.png

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:14 pm

The stereo track on channel strip 1 is the song I want to send to the compressor. When I hit the arm record on channel two I wanna hear the effects from the compressor but I only get a feedback loop.

Katladraken
Expert

Post by Katladraken » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:23 pm

Here you can see the audio being recorded throu the compressor and I turned down the left input and it shows in the track here.
Attachments
E6742A91-B790-4395-B621-32ECB8F1A638.png