Auria Pro on M1 Macs?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

RidiculocitY

Auria Pro on M1 Macs?

Post by RidiculocitY » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:57 pm

What is the likelyhood of Auria Pro being ported to work on the New M1 MACS?
Do What Makes You Happy!
DreadCircus - Non Conformist CD - Coming 2019
https://jadestarr.com.au

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Auria Pro on M1 Macs?

Post by Anthony Alves » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 am

my guess is 0 to none

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 am

Auria Pro works as-is on an M1 Mac right now - I tested it. However it's not very easy to use as Auria relies heavily on iOS gestures and multi-touch. For example it's not possible to zoom in and out on the edit page, as this requires two fingers, etc. I'd need to do a pretty extensive rewrite of the GUI to get it to work effectively with a mouse.

Rim

danielmstroud

Post by danielmstroud » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Has anybody had any more time trying to use Auria (not Pro) and/or Auria Pro using an M1’s Mac yet? I’m debating on whether or not to update to a new iPad or go for a laptop, but would Iike to keep using all my music apps I’ve invested $$$ in over the past 10 years.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm

danielmstroud wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:20 pm
Has anybody had any more time trying to use Auria (not Pro) and/or Auria Pro using an M1’s Mac yet? I’m debating on whether or not to update to a new iPad or go for a laptop, but would Iike to keep using all my music apps I’ve invested $$$ in over the past 10 years.
Any iOS app that was decently written - i.e. has a nice touch interface -- will be hard to use on a mouse-based machine. If something written for iOS works well with no additional work -- it probably didn't really have much of a touch interface.

Cathulu

Post by Cathulu » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Meanwhile iPads have keyboards and mouse support like never before...

C Holdz
Expert

Post by C Holdz » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:34 pm

This is MY issue

I cant believe it but somehow my icloud was lost and locked - unrecoverable - i lost Auria pro, i lost cubasis 3, and i lost FracPad iii for my interface

I bought a new ipad for $800!!!!! But the point about the m1 vs a12z is what i am worried about

Should i get the M1 Mac mini and use Auria pro and cubasis 3 on that, or would it run better for the iPad Pro 11/12??

Please let me know because i can still return the ipad

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Cathulu wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:47 pm
Meanwhile iPads have keyboards and mouse support like never before...
IMO , iPad apps that work well with a mouse and keyboard are generally apps that were not well designed for a touch interface .

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Are you sure your iCloud Drive was lost? Have you spoken to Apple? I've never heard of an iCloud drives data disappearing other than by inadvertent deletion or downgrading one's iCloud Drive account.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:48 am

Auria has always been menu driven. In fact it was one of the biggest complaints that users had that there was so much menu diving that this developer had to add short cuts to accomplish these menu tasks. (like split,copy,paste ect.) So Auria is very well equipped to handle mouse and keyboard control. There are only two functions in Auria that cannot be controlled by a mouse and that is Expanding the edit screen vertically and the two finger warp function (multitouch)(as you can't place a mouse pointer in two places at once). Every other feature and function in Auria can be controlled with a mouse or trackpad, no touch required. So one could argue that since only two functions that don't respond to mouse control in Auria out of the hundreds of functions in Auria that Auria was poorly written for touch control. Not to mention Auria also has HUI and MCU control unlike any other iOS daw which is also not screen touch but remote control.

As for using Auria on an M1 mac, the lack of track vertical expansion control in the editor window would cause a ton of headaches because this developer did not set the default of the track that was created to show all of the functions that are accesable to that track when you fill a screen with tracks. IF there had been a slider that controlled the vertical expansion in the editor window like there is for the horizontal then this would not be a problem on the M1 mac or using a mouse with an iPad. So you would loose access to track colour, automation lanes and warp selections on an audio track and midi functions on a midi track. Funny thing is that these features of control are available in HUI and MCU controllers like xTouch and Mackie MCU pro but this developer did not include that control with MCU and HUI control so this could have been solved with a controller had this been added to the HUI and MCU control within Auria. So unfortunately the editing experience with the M1 mac would be very frustrating with no way to access these functions within Auria. If a vertical slider was added to the edit window and a different way to engage the warp feature than Auria would work just fine on an M1 mac or an iPad with mouse or trackpad control.

C Holdz
Expert

Post by C Holdz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 am

Yes, it was lost in that I cannot restore it. I no longer have access to the email account or the icloud for 2FA authorization - its a problem for More than just Auria...i lost ALL of my baby’s photos and videos.....the only good thing about that is I had an external HDD with that stuff
But apps and in app purchases are gone!! And i spent about $20 or so in Lyra on Drive monster drums

Oh well....

So all in all, Anthony, stick with the iPad Pro 11 then huh? THanks Anthony, that was really in-depth

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:18 pm

C Holdz wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:10 am
Yes, it was lost in that I cannot restore it. I no longer have access to the email account or the icloud for 2FA authorization - its a problem for More than just Auria...i lost ALL of my baby’s photos and videos.....the only good thing about that is I had an external HDD with that stuff
But apps and in app purchases are gone!! And i spent about $20 or so in Lyra on Drive monster drums

Oh well....

So all in all, Anthony, stick with the iPad Pro 11 then huh? THanks Anthony, that was really in-depth
Is the issue that you created an AppleID with an email account that doesn't work any more?

C Holdz
Expert

Post by C Holdz » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:27 pm

Yes that’s exactly it

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:56 pm

C Holdz wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:27 pm
Yes that’s exactly it
Have you tried escalating with apple tech support? There are ways for them to associate a new email address with an account if the old email has gone belly up...but you may need a manager type support person. You will probably also have to demonstrate that you are the same person.