Recording midi to audio track???

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jrech
Expert

Recording midi to audio track???

Post by jrech » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:32 am

I used to be able to record a midi track to an audio track. I would solo the midi track and put the audio track on master. I could then record the midi and make it an audio track. It does not do that in the latest version. How do I fix that? I am sure I am over looking something and any help would be appreciated.
iPad Pro, Auria Pro - https://jodyrech.bandcamp.com

Espiegel123
Expert

Re: Recording midi to audio track???

Post by Espiegel123 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am

jrech wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:32 am
I used to be able to record a midi track to an audio track. I would solo the midi track and put the audio track on master. I could then record the midi and make it an audio track. It does not do that in the latest version. How do I fix that? I am sure I am over looking something and any help would be appreciated.
RIM: when recording MASTER bus, the recording is silent

JRECH: you can now send the track’s output to a bus (say Bus 1) and add and Audio Track and set its input source to bus 1. Record enable the track and choose input bus. You can now record the audio and don’t even need to solo the track.

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks, the master recording issue has been reported in another thread and it'll be fixed in the next update.

Rim

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 am

I recently uninstalled, and reinstalled my Auria Pro app.

When I convert MIDI track to a WAV track, by either copy in place, passing the MIDI track to a WAV track in real time, the WAV track won’t play back. In fact, the WAV track shows as a straight line, not a WAV. When I watch the transfer, the WAV shows as a WAV, then changes to the straight line after each phrase records.

I’ve downloaded older projects from DropBox, and they play back perfectly. However, when I record a new MIDI track, and covert it to a WAV, the same thing that I described above occurs.

I’ve also tried the bus solution mentioned in this post, and it didn’t solve the problem. Can anyone talk me through this?

Thanks

Don

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 am

Alamano wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:13 am
I recently uninstalled, and reinstalled my Auria Pro app.

When I convert MIDI track to a WAV track, by either copy in place, passing the MIDI track to a WAV track in real time, the WAV track won’t play back. In fact, the WAV track shows as a straight line, not a WAV. When I watch the transfer, the WAV shows as a WAV, then changes to the straight line after each phrase records.

I’ve downloaded older projects from DropBox, and they play back perfectly. However, when I record a new MIDI track, and covert it to a WAV, the same thing that I described above occurs.

I’ve also tried the bus solution mentioned in this post, and it didn’t solve the problem. Can anyone talk me through this?

Thanks

Don
Can you post a screen recording of what you are doing? That might help us see what is happening and advise you better.

I am assuming that your MIDI Track has an instrument selected on the track (as opposed to the the case where you have MIDI on a track and send the MIDI to another track that has the actual instrument)

If your MIDI track has the instrument on it, here is what you need to do:

* Set the output of the track to an unused bus. I am assuming that we are using Bus 1
* Create an audio track on to which you will record
* Set the input for that track to Bus 1
* Record enable the audio track
* Pop up the input selector and choose "Input Bus"
* Record
* When recording is done, you should see audio on the track.
* Disable recording on that track
* Choose 'Track' from the Input selection popup for the track

You should now have recorded the audio and can mute or delete the MIDI track. If you don't delete the track, remember that the synth used for the track will still be using up CPU cycles.

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm

For some reason, I can't get the screen shots to load here.

I tried what you explained and it didn't work. The track recorded fine as a WAV, them immediately went to a flat line, and won't play.

Thanks

Don

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Alamano wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:21 pm
For some reason, I can't get the screen shots to load here.

I tried what you explained and it didn't work. The track recorded fine as a WAV, them immediately went to a flat line, and won't play.

Thanks

Don
what do you meant that it recorded fine and then went to a flat line.

When you say that it recorded fine, did the wave form appear in the graphic view?

Do you know how to make a screen recording? If so, make one. Post it to youtube and then post a link here. There is probably an important step missing.

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:32 pm

As I watched the track record, there were what were clearly WAV forms showing, then as soon as a section was done recording, the WAV turned to a flat line, then started showing the WAV form on the next section.

I don't know how to make a screen recording, but I'll see if I can make one with my phone's camera, and post the link.

Thanks for your patience.

Don.

Rodolfo
Expert

Post by Rodolfo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 pm

This is a short video I found on youtube on how to make a screen recording

https://youtu.be/vMlcWr2_JPE

Hope this helps.

Rodolfo

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Here’s a (silent)video of what I’m whining about: https://youtu.be/gVZfAC6EbTs

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am

Alamano wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 pm
Here’s a (silent)video of what I’m whining about: https://youtu.be/gVZfAC6EbTs
That looks odd. We can't see the track setup. So hard to know what is going on. If could show the main setup before starting record that might help see what isn't working.

Btw, if you are on iOS 11 or later your iPad can record its own screen. You don't need to use a camera.

What OS version and hardware are you running?

Alamano

Post by Alamano » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am

When I tried to make a moving screen shot, it came out blurry. Hence the camera shot.

I’ll see if I can get a better moving screen shot.

Thanks

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 am

Alamano wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am
When I tried to make a moving screen shot, it came out blurry. Hence the camera shot.

Thanks
Whatever you do, we need to see the setup. Also, remember that after you finish the recording in Auria Pro, you need to change the channel strip's input source to 'track'.

Espiegel123
Expert

Post by Espiegel123 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:52 am

Alamano wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks
Here is a screen recording I made using the built-innios creek recording feature to show the setup.

https://youtu.be/LDjrTemj2SY

If this doesn’t work, please make a screen recording that shows your track setup as I have done and the recording process so that we can see what you are doing differently