Project run on an external SSD?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Keyb

Project run on an external SSD?

Post by Keyb » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:29 am

Dear all,
I’m evaluating the possibility to acquire Auria Pro.

I have a 12.9" iPad Pro win 32GB storage space and it’s always almost full. I’d like to know if it’s possible to run a project on a 1TB SSD external disk I have.

Thank you,
Alessandro

Phil999
Expert

Re: Project run on an external SSD?

Post by Phil999 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm

I think this is a crucial new feature for modern iPads and DAW apps, and video editing apps. From what I can tell, it is not there yet. Files can be imported from the external SSD through the Files app, but until the files can be used they have to be copied to the iPad first. We can 'stream' single files from external media, but not multiple files.

Theoretically it should be possible, but in reality it is not featured. Maybe the iPad port (lightning, USB C) is not fast enough. And the USB C hubs people attach to their new iPads may not be fast enough. And there seem to be file size limits: when trying to transfer, via hub and Files app, video files from one external SSD to another external SSD, I found that files exceeding 5GB cannot be transferred. Smaller files can be transferred, but at a very slow pace. At the USB 2.0 speed, and not even the USB 2.0 highspeed standard, but the normal one. I'm rather unimpressed by the USB C port implementation of the iPad Pro. It's good enough for 4k HDMI output at 8 bit, but not more.

However, this should be enough for 10-20 tracks of wav audio. But I doubt that this will be possible for Auria or any other DAW app today. I hope I'm wrong.

Corey W
Expert

Re: Project run on an external SSD?

Post by Corey W » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:12 am

You are correct, "Theoretically it should be possible, but in reality it is not featured".

Streaming from an external drive has to be supported from Apple's end. Until then, we have to wait...