Track going from mono to stereo

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

rickwaugh
Expert

Track going from mono to stereo

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm

How can i be that I can create a track as a mono track, and then when I record on it, it records stereo, on one channel? Also, I have a track that is mono, recorded in mono yesterday, and today, I go to overdub, and it records in stereo, in one channel? And how is it that when I bounce that track in place, it converts it to stereo?

Latest version of Auria, latest version of iOS, iPad Pro. I’m using both and iRig Duo, and an iRig Pro. There is no reason in the world that I can discern for any of this, and instead of recording a quick overdub to a section I did yesterday, I spend an hour trying different things and giving up.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Track going from mono to stereo

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:21 pm

Some things to watch out for. All midi tracks are in stereo. You may have chosen a stereo version of fabfilter plugins instead of mono. You may be using a stereo IAA app plugged in. As a help you can create a mono mixdown and import the new mono track into the project. Cheers and good luck.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Anthony, I had plugins on it from the start of recording this track and it was fine. I removed them after the problem developed and it till does the same. I created a mono track and tried to send the problem track to that, same thing, it went in stereo. I don’t understand how a mono track becomes stereo.

richardyot
Expert

Post by richardyot » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 am

It's almost certainly because there is a stereo plugin on the track.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:08 am

richardyot wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 am
It's almost certainly because there is a stereo plugin on the track.
There’s absolutely nothing on this track now. I took the limiter off the master as well, completely removed it from the slot, and the Pro DS and Compressor from the individual track slot as well. And as soon as I bounce it, it goes to stereo.

rickwaugh
Expert

Post by rickwaugh » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:18 pm

So I mixed down to a single wav file, with only that track, as mono. If I listen to that track in Dropbox, or import it into Multitrack DAW, it’s a mono file. At least, I can hear it on both channels. If I import it back into Auria, into a mono track, it’s one side only.

I’m very, very confused.

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Have you tried opening a new project then importing the mono file?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 am

I’ve had this happen to me before. It doesn’t happen too often so I was never able to duplicate the bug. Just another one of Auria ghost bugs I called them. I hear your frustration. Like me you search for a workaround because after all the music must get done. Good to hear your working hard on creating new music and I know Auria has become a big part of that and you do deserve a solid and reliable daw to capture your creations. Cheers and good luck.

rocdok100

Post by rocdok100 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:57 am

Hi, I had mono tracks suddenly turning to stereo tracks. Here's what I determined. If I partially recorded a mono dedicated track and then added an insert such as delay, and hit the 'stereo' choice instead on 'mono', and then proceeded to record further down that track, the track would show 2 wave forms i.e. looking stereo. The trick is that once I had done the 'wrong' stereo (dunno if that is truly wrong or not, i'm not an expert at all) insert choice, there was no going back. The drop down of the insert would only show stereo options thereafter and not the mono choices so I could not reclick a mono choice to 'fix' it (I use that term loosely). Someone mentioned mixing down that track to mono and bringing it back into the project, which works but you don't have to start a new project. I just took the 1/2 recorded track, copied and pasted to a new channel track and then the insert drop down resets itself to show the mono and stereo choices. Maybe a bit of work if there are several messed up tracks. Anyway, just wanted to share that because this happened 2-3 times to me over a few years and I could never figure out what was happening till now. I hope this helps. I don't have anything to share about the technical sides to all of this. No critisms either- I love this daw. I realize the above answers alude to this but just wanted to state the above. :D