Midi playback help

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

jimhenry
Expert

Midi playback help

Post by jimhenry » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi-

I'm new to using midi so I'm hoping this is an easy problem to fix.
I recorded an organ part on a midi channel using Lyra. It recorded fine and it plays back fine as long as I start from the beginning of the midi track. If I stop playback then restart, the midi track won't play until it hits the beginning of a new note. It won't play any note unless it starts at the beginning. What am I doing wrong?

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Midi playback help

Post by Anthony Alves » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:15 am

Here is the basics of midi. When you press a key on your midi keyboard midi records this information.
Note On ( you pressed a note )
Note position ( at what point in the timeline did the note get pressed )
Note value ( was it an A or C note )
Velocity ( how hard you pressed the note )
Note off ( when you let go of the note in the timeline )

These are the basic midi commands that get recorded but there are a few more but they are not basic like Aftertouch
and CC information.
So lets say you press a note for a string pad preset. When you press the keyboard the strings will start. So now you hold
down the note for 4 bars. The string patch will play until you let go of the note.
On your edit screen you will see one note that lasts 4 bars. If you try to play the recorded string back from bar 2, you
wont hear the string because the note on information for the string sample was triggered at bar 1. Midi only plays back from where it was triggered. All the music you here back from midi is all triggered samples of instruments. There is no audio recorded yet.Just the midi information I listed above. That is why you can change any midi note even after laying the part down unlike audio recordings.

Finally you can Bounce the midi track in place and this will change the midi to audio but your ability to control is gone or
at least from a midi prospective.

There are a ton of Tutorials online that go into midi deeper. Have fun learning. Cheers.

jimhenry
Expert

Post by jimhenry » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:31 am

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you for the "Intro to Midi" course. Much appreciated.

Phil999
Expert

Post by Phil999 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 pm

I have read somewhere that this basic MIDI problem has been solved, but I don't remember what host it was. This should be amended in the future, MIDI 2.0 or whatever, because it has been a problem since decades, and we all had to deal with it.