MIDI control for Auria, mute, solo, faders, etc....

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

mantorno

MIDI control for Auria, mute, solo, faders, etc....

Post by mantorno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:56 am

Love this app but recently it's driving us crazy. We have spent so much time searching this message board and google for answers with no luck.

We run Auria for our live shows and in the studio and have been looking for a midi controller so we can use mutes, solo, faders, advance to the next trk, etc....
We've tried the Korg Nanokontrol 2, Korg Nano Kontrol Studio, & Novation Launch Control XL only to return them because none have worked.

The Nanokontrol 2 was the best because Auria recognizes it but both the software and Interface froze after hitting the mute buttons several times consecutively (the crash occurred only a few seconds into using it).
Does anyone have any suggestions? This is our go to app for what we do but it now has us exploring other options without a stable midi controller.

We are using Auria with an IPad Pro V2 12.9”, 512GB and Apogee Quartet.

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: MIDI control for Auria, mute, solo, faders, etc....

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

The problem is the apogee if your plugging the HUI controler into it. If you bypass the Apogee and plug any of these devices into Auria using the CCK kit then they will work, however not very intuitively. The Novation will give you fader control but only advances the faders forward by banks of 8 but wont go back so eventually you lose fader control and have to teset HUI in Auria. There is also no transport or solo control in the Novation but mute works, kinda. The Korg products also operate in HUI mode but have their limitations too. The problem is that HUI is not very well coded in Auria and Rim has focused more on the MCU Pro Logic control bit even this code is not too healthy. I use the Mackie MCU Pro and it’s supposed to be the best model described by Rim to use with Auria. It does pretty much what you need it to do but it lacks tons and tons of features compated to using it with Logic Pro or any other desktop daw. What I like about the Mackie is the 9 faders and the lite display. The Berrihnger xTouch works and so does the new Presonus 8. If you want affordability and track advance with all the basic features then I recommend the Presonus Faderport. I used it for years with Auria and it just works. There are many features you dont get but you get enough to make it work. I have a video that I did years ago on my youtube channel on the Faderport with Auria. If you want to use a controler with the Apogee you will need to plug everything into a powered usb hub including the Apogee, then plug the usb hub into Auria. Good luck.

mantorno

Post by mantorno » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks for all this info Anthony!

Dirge59
Expert

Post by Dirge59 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:09 am

If you use Yamaha UD – BT01, Wireless midi adapter, it would work flawlessly with the Faderport on your apogee quartet, remember the faderport is USB one 1.0, Once it is in Bluetooth mode it doesn’t matter.