Want to upgrade to Auria Pro, iPad Air 1, but ...

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

eustressor
Expert

Want to upgrade to Auria Pro, iPad Air 1, but ...

Post by eustressor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:25 pm

I have several songs with 30+ tracks in Auria standard, awaiting a few backing vocals/tightening before final mix and mastering. I have a new song with multiple BPM changes, so I would love to make use of the tempo track in Pro. My fear is that running Auria Pro just as is, without any extra midi tracks, etc. might add to the CPU load and render existing 30+ tracks that I'm still managing on my Air 1 unable to be opened.

Is there a discernible performance hit between Pro and Standard? Are my worries unfounded? I have just enough store credit to cover the upgrade, if it's safe.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks!

Rim
Site Admin

Re: Want to upgrade to Auria Pro, iPad Air 1, but ...

Post by Rim » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:38 pm

In terms of CPU usage, Auria and Auria Pro use the same amount of CPU if you only play audio tracks, and aren't using any of the warping features. Using MIDI doesn't really add much in terms of CPU usage, but it does require you to use a smaller buffer size (iOS doesn't allow MIDI to be used with buffer sizes larger than 512. So if you're already using a small buffer size in your projects, you probably won't notice much difference, but if you're using 4096, which is standard on new Auria projects, the difference could be large if you've got a lot of plugins in the project.

Rim

eustressor
Expert

Post by eustressor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Thank you, Rim!

So just to be sure I understand correctly - existing projects where I don't use add any new features from Auria Pro will open/operate just as well as they do in Auria Standard. My previous projects are in good hands. And new projects can be whatever they can be in Pro, including tempo track, audio warping, etc... just keep an eye on the old CPU meter as per usual.

If that's correct ... well, what am I waiting for? Upgrade time! :D :D :D

Rim
Site Admin

Post by Rim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Yes, that's correct. Just make sure your buffer sizes are set to 4096, and you should be all set.

Rim