Lyra and Orchestral Expression

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Jmcmillan

Lyra and Orchestral Expression

Post by Jmcmillan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 am

Is there a way using Lyra to put in expressive elements into strings/brass, etc.?
I would like to vary the volume with the mod wheel or expression pedal. Or is there another automation variable that could be used?

Does this need to be done with SFZ opcodes or can does LYRA have this "built in?"

Thanks!
Jon

krzycrs
Expert

Re: Lyra and Orchestral Expression

Post by krzycrs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 am

Afaik assignments would have to be changed with a desktop soundfont editor program. Polyphone f.e. is a free one.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

Question for the Auria developers:
It's been confirmed that Sfzornado on a PC will apply expression pedal and mod wheel without any additional SFZ code needed.

I have tried using mod wheel in Lyra and it does effect the sound if opcodes are present in the SFZ code. Would this be true of the expression pedal? Does the SFZ file need opcodes for it to work, or does Lyra pick up the expression pedal and modify volume without the need for opcodes in the SFZ code?
Thanks!
Jon

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Probably you could workaround by remapping your keyboard's modwheel (cc1) or expression pedal (cc67 or cc11?) to volume (cc7) with an app like midiflow. In track-view when you tap the piano roll icon, you can view in the 'notes' window all of the controller message info, and with record and r/w enabled also draw in the midi track by moving the modwheel or pedal while playing.

Jmcmillan

Post by Jmcmillan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for the idea...I will have to check out MIDIFlow. I didn't know about that app.
Thanks!