Automation in Twin ?

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

araigneedusoir

Automation in Twin ?

Post by araigneedusoir » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi -
I was wondering, I've searched the forum, Google, the manual.. And haven't been able to automate anything in twin while touching the parameters in writing automation mode selected. Am I missing something ?
Thank you !

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Automation in Twin ?

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Currently there are only 2 ways to automate Fabfilters Twin 2 and One. First is to write the automation in the editor lanes. A list of the Twin2's automatable controls are listed in the drop down menu that defaults to MIDI on a midi track and AUDIO on an audio track. Second is by Midi CC control. If you have a midi keyboard controler than this is very easy. Under EDIT Select Midi Record Overdub Mode. This setting lets you layer any midi you want overtop of an already recorded midi track without erasing the previously recorded midi data. The track must be in Record ready mode. Open Twin2 and select Midi Learn, the Twin2 lights up. Tap on a control in Twin2 and move a knob on your midi controler, re-tap Midi Learn to exit. Learn only one control at a time as this works best but you can learn many knobs and sliders to fully control every aspect of Twin2 at once. Now place the project into record, press play and move your midi controler and watch the Fabfilters controls move. Stop recording,playback and you should see everything move. You can then edit this cc data in the piano roll editor window in the dropdown menu that defaults to NOTES. Scroll down until you find the CC data you just recorded.
As for using your fingers to do this with Fabfilter Twin2 and One Synth plugins, this is currently not possible.
Cheers and hope that helps.
Last edited by Anthony Alves on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

araigneedusoir

Post by araigneedusoir » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Thank you, Anthony. I feared that kind of answer. :)
Yes, Ive managed to automate it with my Nanokey Studio.. But hey, touch control is so much smoother, right? ^_^ Esp. at high resonance..
Anyway - thanks. I hope a way to automate by touch will be implemented someday, even if I guess it's quite not a priority !

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:45 pm

Cheers my friend. I sure was excited when Fabfilter included midi cc control of our plugins because it wasn't available when they were first released. I've been using it since pretty much everyday and it works great. For anyone else to know this feature is available on all the Fabfilter Audio plugins just not the midi synths. Take Care.

araigneedusoir

Post by araigneedusoir » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:36 am

Thanks for the very kind answers as well. Yeah, I'll use CCs most of the time and bounce the audio to another track (while tweaking) when I'll need to tweak the (cool as fuck) filters at high resonance. I guess even if there were automation by touch anyway, it would be limited to the usual 8bit 127 steps control as well (and not the available range by touch - visibly way much than 127) :) I think the lack of precision in automations is really the thing I'd love to see enhanced now, generally, in the virtual analog synths department, Diva for instance allows 14bit midi. (But the lack of current day 14bit midi boxes of knobs to buy is pretty sad; bcr2000s ain't very portable..)
Or at least better interpolation between values while controlled by classic 8bit midi cc... (Diva does that as well ;))
Anyway that's a huge derailing ;)
Cheers Anthony.

krzycrs
Expert

Post by krzycrs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:40 pm

The midi learn Anthony mentioned can be of use if I take f.e. 'chordpolypad' app's xypads to remotely move em twin's pads ;)
cu
crs