Stereo Vocals

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

IndustrialOkie

Stereo Vocals

Post by IndustrialOkie » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:05 pm

I use a spark digital mic that connects to my lighting connector in my iPad mini 3. The out of town collaborator I work with complained that the vocal tracks are mono and not in stereo, but I used the "8 track stereo" template for this particular song. I might add that I panned the left vocal track all the way left, and the right vocal track all the way to the right for this particular mix as they had different effects. Is this the problem, or am I doing something else wrong? Any help much appreciated!

P.S. I've recorded multiple tracks with him in the past and he's never complained about not having stereo vocals, so I'm really wondering if it's the hard pan left and right screwing him up.

Tom

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Stereo Vocals

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Vocals are recorded in mono because its a mono instrument and recorded with a mono mic. In addition there can be no stereo vocal as there s no seperate L/R nformation there both the same. What has your friend baffled is the hard panned vocal tracks as the vocal will no longer sit in the centre as it should be. This can be used as an effect as you say but mixing this type of far panned tracks has limitations. You may even have phase issues and diapearring freqencies that get shared. Always record your mono sorce to a mono track. Only record to stereo when you are inputing 2 signals nto 2 seperate tracks or one stereo track. Eg track 1 ( input 1 ) has an AKG414xls and Track 2 (input 2 ) has a another AKG 414xls. Now you have 2 tracks recorded at the same time usung 2 seperate mics ( these should be identical for true stereo recording ) onto 2 seperate tracks or one Stereo track. Cheers and hope this helps.

IndustrialOkie

Post by IndustrialOkie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 am

Great, thanks Anthony!

:D

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:12 pm

IndustrialOkie wrote:...this particular mix as they had different effects...

Hi, Tom--

Anthony is spot-on about mono source recording. However, what you said about the effects leads me to a couple of questions:

1. In Auria, did your mix sound stereo with the effects activated? A mono source with a stereo effect will indeed result in a stereo image, regardless of panning.

2.) If so, did you export/mix-down to mono accidentally? (Stereo is the default.)

cheers,
Nick

Rusko
Expert

Post by Rusko » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Tom--one other brief mono/stereo note,

I don't know if you've seen this or not, but it's a nice little piece of polish-detail in Auria:

-Above the faders, a stereo track has the interlocking circles icon. A mono track shows no icon.

-Next to the fader, a stereo track has dual amplitude scales; a mono, single.

Now, here's the neat part: If you have a mono track with a stereo insert effect *enabled* on it, while the icon area remains blank, Auria now shows dual amp scales. Bypass the effect, and it toggles back to single again.

Nick