Electric drum kit not recognised by Auria

For general questions or discussion of Auria.

Moderators: Corey W, Rim

Drummonkeyboy

Electric drum kit not recognised by Auria

Post by Drummonkeyboy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Hi - I'm a complete Midi newbie and I'm having a problem getting my electic drum kit to trigger samples in Auria.

I'm plugging my Roland TD11 drum kit brain into Auria Pro, via USB, and I can't see it being recognised in Auria anywhere.

Can someone tell me where it should show up if it's working correctly?

And then what steps do I need to take to record midi drums please? As in, record midi information and then get that to trigger drum kits in Auria pro.

Gear is:

IPad Pro
Apogee Quartet
Roland TD11 KV drum kit

Many thanks
Peter

Anthony Alves
Expert

Re: Electric drum kit not recognised by Auria

Post by Anthony Alves » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 am

1. Check in the midi page in AuriaPro to see if your Roland TD11 shows up. If it doesn't than AuriaPro cannot communicate with the TD11. You can use the 5 pin midi din connectors also availabe on your TD11 avoiding needing to use the TD11's usb. You will need an external midi box like the iConnect midi or any interface that includes the standard midi connectors.
You need to set the receive midi channel in AuriaPro to All. If you want to trigger AuriaPros LyraDrum samples you must set the midi note number of the TD11 pad to match AuriaPros. If you don't know what note that is just test different notes on your TD11 till you find the sound. Take some time to get to understand how your TD11's midi is set up and read the midi section in the AuriaPro manual. All the info you require is in there. Cheers and good luck.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Wed May 06, 2020 2:57 pm

I know you posted your answer a long, long time ago, Anthony - but I’ve found it very helpful. I have a new audio i/o coming which also has a midi input and I’ve fixed up my battered old Roland TD3. Hopefully it’s now going to transform itself into a beautifully acoustic sound kit through the magic of Auria!

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering

Anthony Alves
Expert

Post by Anthony Alves » Wed May 06, 2020 10:02 pm

I'd like to update my answer. If the td11 brain doesnt show up in the main midi page in settings thats ok. All you need is to have the midi channel of the td11 brain set in the midi track as the midi in. Auria will record the midi notes played from the td11. Don't forget to toggle on the yellow music note to on in the midi track channel to monitor the input and to activate the midi.See if there are any settings in the td11 that send the midi out the usb connection. I do this with a td3 and works good but I use a midi din box the iconnect2 because the td3 doesnt have usb. Cheers.

Bob Amser
Expert

Post by Bob Amser » Sun May 10, 2020 2:18 am

That’s really helpful, thanks. I’m now waiting for my new audio interface to arrive (I needed one for JamKazam) as it has a midi interface built in. Can’t wait!

Auria, iTrack Solo, AKG414, Audio Mastering